Chapter Eighteen: A Shocking Secret (Part Two)

*Take note that the following chapters may contain flashback scenes here and there. Just for you guys not to be confused, all flashback scenes will be written in italics and everyday scenes will be written in the standard font. Also, certain characters' thoughts will be written in italics. Thank you :)

.

"MATA!" they heard a scream from outside and immediately turn their head to spot their one and only son Karn standing there with red eyes, anger radiating from his features. Karn entered the house and immediately hug his mother who hugged him back sobbing in his embrace. Karn broke the hug and cupped his mother's face.

"What were you saying, Mata?! Never repeat whatever you just said! Do you understand me?" Karn said as tears streamed down his face. Radha nodded and stared at her son... She knew that Karn has overheard their conversation. Was she ready to answer all his questions? Was she ready for the confrontation to admit that he isn't his actual mother? No! She was ready for anything that is about to come but she doesn't have much of a choice now.

"Putr... I know you overheard our conversation and I am sure you have a lot of questions and doubts. Whatever you want to ask, then ask it now," Radha said stammering a little as she looked at Karn who was staring at her with a lot of emotion. Adirath looked at his wife and his son. He never knew that a day will come when there have to look back at their past, to confront it... After Karn entered the life, they never really bothered about where he came from or whatsoever. It is not like anyone came to look for him as well.

"Aren't... Aren't you my... Aren't you my real mother?! Mata! Please tell me that whatever I heard earlier was a lie. Please, tell me it is a lie, Mata! Tell me that you are the woman that gave birth to me! Please tell me, Mata!" Karn cried as he held his mother's hand like a child. Radha closed her eyes as more tears threatened to spill out. She couldn't bear the agony that she is hearing in her son's voice. But, she has to do this! There is no use lying or hiding the truth from him. She took a deep breath to steady herself and opened her eyes.

"I am your mother Karn... I am your mother that taught you the values and morals that you need to have in life. I am your mother who carried you everywhere I went as you were a child. I... I am your mother who can't even bear to see her child with a sad face. But, if you say that only the woman who gave birth to you can be your mother, then... Then I am NOT YOUR MOTHER!" Radha said looking directly into Karn's eyes. Karn closed his eyes the moment Radha admitted that she wasn't his mother.

"Then who is it? Who was the person who gave birth to me?" he asked. His eyes were still closed. He didn't dare to open his eyes as he asked his mother this question. Radha couldn't say anything. Her mind was running elsewhere... She didn't know why but the moment Karn ask who was his birth mother, she wasn't feeling good. The fear of losing her son took over her mind.

Seeing his wife being silent, Adirath decided to speak up. He could understand what his wife was going through. He could see it through her eyes... The fear she had in them was evident.

"We don't know. One day, your Mata and I were conversing near the Ganga River when we heard the cry of a baby. When we looked around, we saw a basket flowing on the river and realised the cry was coming from there. I immediately grabbed the basket from the river and brought it to the shore. We both were childless for nine years and decided to take you in as ours. No one came looking for you and we too didn't know where you came from," Adirath said and Radha's mind too went back to the day when she first carried Karn in her arms.

"You might not have been born to us but that doesn't mean you are not our son. You came into our lives as a light when we were at our lowest point in life. I don't know what good we both have done for us to have you in our life, Putr!" Radha said with a sad smile as she cupped her son's face.