Chapter 4

One morning, I was feeling rather confident, so I decided to dress in my best clothes and go to the market for a look around. I had no money, but I did have quick hands. I chose the paved roads instead of the dirt path, walking past the wealthy going for a morning stroll. I watched a particular couple, the woman walking silently beside the man. She matched his pace and followed his lead, all without a shriveled look of agitation. Her passiveness was fascinating, and I wondered why I couldn't have a woman like that. I was thinking on that when something gold caught my eye. A bracelet had fallen from the woman's wrist, yet they continued on. I looked around, but no one noticed the shiny jewelry that was now up for grabs. I decided on a change of plans and snatched up the gold bracelet, ready to head to a pawn shop before it was discovered missing.

Walking to the shop, I couldn't help but feel watched. Stares were followin' me with every turn and snickers echoed in my ears. A man with slicked hair and an expensive tie approached me.
"Sir, are you feeling quite drafty?"

I only blinked at him in response. He must've been pulling my leg because he proceeded to laugh in my face.
"Your woman must be exceedingly tired of you. There is a gaping hole in the seat of your trousers."  He walked away laughing, not deeming it necessary to hear a response.