Chapter 5

Anger flooded my vision as I frantically patted the back of my pants; I felt no fabric. Pawnshop forgotten, I slipped into the woods to find the dirt path and stormed home.

What kind of woman would do such a thing? I gave her everything. Do you see now what I dealt with?
The moon shone through the clouds, trees swaying with gentle winds. All was silent besides the crunch of rocks beneath my boots and the anger in my head.

I put on an acceptable pair of pants when I got home. Matilda was in the kitchen, dinner unmade. How difficult was it to have a meal ready before dark?
I stormed into the kitchen, slouching into a wobbly chair. "Dinner should've been ready by now." She gave me no response.
"Did ya hear me?" I raise my voice, pounding my fist on the table.

The woman keeps her back to me, continuing with her preparations. This angered me even more. She knew the disrespect of not facing me when I spoke. With all the events that day, I knew what I was gonna do. But first, I was hungry. So, I waited for the food to be served and I thought of killing her as I ate my lukewarm bowl of soup. Finding a new wife wouldn't be a problem; I could easily get a youngin to take Matilda's place. Starting someplace new had a nice ring to it. I could go up north and look for work there.

There was no sound besides the clinking of dented spoons on chipped bowls. Once I had finished my food, I pushed my chair back, retrieved my gun, and aimed at the unrecognizable female across from me. When we first married, she was quiet and easy going. She minded well and had dinner prepared on time. I didn't agree to what I ended up with and therefore, I had every right to fix the problem at hand.

It was an easy fix. I pulled the trigger, and the problem was solved. The shot echoed in the empty house; Matilda's body slumped out of the chair. That was the first time in a long time I felt peace.
With all the information, I'm sure you can understand my decision. Wives' ought to listen and they ought to obey. Keep my experience in mind for if you ever have problems.

Sincerely,
A single man