XII. A Sudden Disapperance

Warnings: mention of substance abuse, talks about plant murder

"Ma! Ma!" Juniper shook her mum gently. The bottle of draughts lay empty next to her. Juniper didn't need to read the labels to know that her mum had downed the calming and sleeping potions.

"We're going tae be late if you don't wake up!"

Juniper bit her lip to hold back tears of frustration. She was dressed and ready and even squeezed time for breakfast. If Juniper could, she would take herself down to King Cross station. Still, she needed the extra hand to carry her luggage and couldn't use her magic outside Hogwarts yet nor apparate. On top of everything else, they were out of floo powder.

"Ma! This is no funny!" She turned to look at the old cuckoo clock. "I have tae be there in half an hour!"

She shook her body again but gained no reaction from her mum. Though the sound of her rhythmic breathing still reassured her that she was alive at least, a morbid thought that she quickly buried.

Running out of time and options, Juniper ran to the Doughlas, hoping either could take her. Though luck was in her favour, Gedeon looked as though he was ready to leave for work.

"Ged! Wait up!"

"Junie!" He dropped his things to the ground and immediately rushed to her. "Is everything alright?!"

"Nothing is alright!" She cried out loudly. "Ma is knocked out, and I need tae be on the Hogwarts Express in less than half an hour!"

"Don't worry, I'll help you."

Gedeon half dragged Juniper back to her home. Taking long strides and getting in half the time. He helped gather her luggage and quickly apparated to Kings Cross station. They ran as if their life depended on it through the pillar of platforms 9 and 10, barely making it.

"Don't worry, Junie." As he pushed the luggage cart, Gedeon comfortingly patted her back. "Just get on the train and I'll worry about your stuff, okay? Enjoy Hogwarts, and I'll take care of your mum."

"Thanks Ged."

Before Juniper leapt onto the locomotive, she gave Gedeon a big hug of gratitude. She searched through all the compartments looking for Rowan and Ben.

To her surprise, she found her friend, Rowan, alongside Ben, Penny, and Tonks.

"Hey guys," She said, still catching her breath.

"Juniper!" Rowan got up and hurried over to embrace her.

"We were so worried when we couldn't find you." Penny looked relieved at Juniper. The train jerked as it moved from the platform to the countryside.

"I waited as long as I could with my parents. I'm sorry I couldn't wait any longer." Rowan looked ashamed, but Juniper hugged her back.

"Nae worries, Rowan. There were some delays at home."

Juniper finally could sit down and calm down properly.

"Are you going to tell us who that handsome guy was, Moss?" Tonks shifted to Gedeon's appearance. Juniper blushed brightly at the insinuation of the question.

"He's just a family friend." She quickly shut down Tonks. "Anyway, what's everyone's schedule like?" Juniper changed the topic, causing Tonks to express annoyance by blowing a raspberry. The rest rummaged through to find their timetables.

"I think we still have charms together." Ben looked over at Juniper's schedule. He looked relieved, but he was reticent. Too quiet for Juniper's liking, but she also realised that she, Penny and Tonks were extroverted personalities to deal with.