XIII. Beginner's Luck

Warnings: description of injury, mild panic attack from phobia

The northern weather didn't want to hold up in this continuous downpour. A fog lingered over the castle grounds refusing to leave and causing minor delays.

Penny dragged Juniper out one weekend to the quidditch pitch. She knew that Penny had something planned but didn't expect this. It temporarily helped distract them from their focus on Ben, who had been missing for over two weeks at this point.

"What's going on, Penny?"

"We're going to watch the quidditch tryouts. Today is Ravenclaw's turn." Penny responded eagerly.

Juniper furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Um...but why Ravenclaw? Why no Hufflepuff? That's your house."

"I know but Skye Parkin from the legendary Parkin family is trying out today!" Penny grabbed Juniper's out of excitement and squealed.

"Who's she?" Juniper looked at her with more puzzlement.

Penny's jaw dropped like Juniper had said something as audacious as Rita Skeeter's articles.

"You don't know...who Skye Parkin is?" Still looking bewildered.

"Should I?"

"Yes, Juniper! You share the same dorm with her for Merlin's sake!" The Hufflepuff passionately exclaimed. Juniper recalled her dorm mates, Tulip Karasu and Badeea Ali. Her mind was drawing a blank at the other girl.

"Oh."

"Oh, what?" Penny turned to Juniper, confused. "Don't you talk to the other girls in your dorm."

It clicked in her head that Skye must be the other girl she doesn't remember, and she does recall that she seemed to be somewhat standoffish.

"A wee bit to Tulip and Badeea, but no really. I mostly talk to Rowan whenever we're in the dorms." Juniper shrugged, not that she minded. "So how'd you ken about Skye Parkin? You don't strike me as a massive quidditch fan."

"I was surprised you weren't a Scot, but my family lived in Wigtown for a while. I heard about the Parkins, who are legends there. Their family has been playing for the Wigtown Wanderers. Mum took me and my sister to our first quidditch match, where we watched them play, and so I started following them." The Hufflepuff explained.

It surprised Juniper that Penny had lived in Scotland for a while, and she would have never guessed based on her English accent.

As they drew closer to the pitch, Andre Egwu caught up with them.

"Hey, Juniper! Penny." Andre acknowledged the Hufflepuff before turning his attention to Juniper. "Are you here for the tryouts?"

"Yeah."

"Great! What position are you playing for?"

"Position?"

"Are you not here to try out for the Ravenclaw quidditch team?" Andre looked at his fellow Ravenclaw, confused.

Juniper shook her head profusely. "No, I'm here to watch it with Penny. She invited me to come along."

"Yes, I did. I'm here to watch Skye Parkin." She said excitedly. "Are you doing the tryouts, Andre?"

"Anything really. I enjoy quidditch, all of it. Though secretly, I'm hoping I get either keeper or seeker position." Andre walked with them to the desk outside the changing rooms. "You're good at flying, Juniper. Why aren't you trying out for the team?"

"I don't ken. I would nae call myself amazing. I enjoy flying, but I only ken the basics of quidditch." She fiddled with her fingers.

"Why don't you just it a try, Juniper?" Penny suggested, her smile beaming brightly. "What's the worst that can happen?"