𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 - 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐲𝐞

chris walked through the large double doors that led to the school library. it wasn't a place that he found himself in often, but it was a good place to skip class. if there was one thing chris hated, it was his physics class. if he could change one thing about the world, it would be that his school hadn't required him to take it.

he had skipped the class intentionally, but as he walked through the library for a place to sit (a place to hide) he found himself thinking about her. about alyvia, and how that meant she would have to sit alone today. it had been almost two weeks since they had been sat together, and while chris had only gotten very few words out of the girl, he found himself starting to enjoy her company.

there weren't any library tables open, which meant chris would probably have to sit on the floor inbetween the shelves. he was close to giving up when he suddenly saw her. the girl that had been unknowingly plaguing his every thought. there she was, sitting alone at a table for two in the school library, when she was supposed to be in class with him.

"hey," he greeted, placing his hands on the opposite side of the table so he was facing her.

she flinched, clearly not noticing him before. she took out one headphone and looked up at him, setting her book and her pen down.

"sorry" chris apologized, "didn't mean to scare you."

"you're fine" alyvia responded quietly.

"um can i sit next to you?" he asked, "all of the other tables are full."

she thought for a second, staring up at him dumbfounded, "um yeah, of course."

he sat next to her, and alyvia tried to ignore the fact that her heart was beating so fast she was scared she might actually drop dead. she was so scared, not of him, no, but of what he thought of her. what if she sat weird, if he thought her book was lame, if her hair was messy, her lipgloss smudged, if her handwriting was messy, her sweater made her look off, if her headphones were broken and he could hear her music. so many terrifying thoughts running through her head all at once, it was hard to concentrate on anything else but making sure that chris didn't notice she was freaking out.

so concentrated on that, she didn't notice he was staring at her.

being honest, chris did notice things like that about her. but, he was thinking the exact opposite of what alyvia imagined he would. he noticed that she sat with on leg up and pulled to her chest, and he wondered if it was hard for her to write like that. he would've asked her if he wasn't so sure the girl probably hated him. he also noticed that her hair was messy but he didn't find that disgusting. after sitting next to the girl for a bit, he picked up on her habit of running her hands through her hair when she was thinking, it seemed that she had attempted to do that but forgotten that she had two loose braids in. chris didn't think her hair looked bad, he had never thought that alyvia looked anything close to bad.

chris also saw that her lipgloss was in fact not messed up, because he looked at her lips. that her handwriting was way better then his, he liked her sweater, it was very her, and he couldn't hear what music she was listening to, but for some reason he really wanted to. he snapped out of his daze, realizing that he had been staring at her for far too long and had probably started to freak her out a bit.

he looked at her one more time, his heart pounding in his chest as he anticipated his next words to the girl, "hey..." chris spoke softly. her head turning towards him, her eyes on his and all of the air was robbed from chris' lungs.

"hm?"

"um...what book is that?"

"oh, it's catcher in the rye" alyvia told him.

he nodded like he knew what that was, "are you annotating it?" what a dumb question, no she's just holding a pen in a book for funsies, chris chastised himself immediately.

she just nodded with a smile, "yea, it's my favorite book ever and i've read it a bunch before so i wanted to annotate it finally."

"is it good?" obviously it's her favorite fucking book, "i mean, should i read it?"

alyvia thought for a second, "yeah, i think you'd like it."

"really?" chris didn't think he came off like a book reader.

"i mean, the main characters a teenage boy, so what better time to relate to it then now" she explained.

"ok i'll definitely read it then" i probably won't, "thanks."

she smiled at him, and went back to her book. both of the teens felt this wash of excitement that they couldn't explain, that was the first real conversation they had ever had and it got their hearts racing rapidly.

chris took a few seconds to recover, before realizing that he was kinda sitting there like an idiot. so, he looked through his backpack for anything to do, eventually stumbling on a physics packet due soon that he had completely forgotten about. he cursed himself silently, chris hadn't even started it yet.

alyvia noticed this, "um hey" his head snapped towards her, "i finished my packet if you want to copy," she offered, getting nervous by the way chris made eye contact.

"sure, that would be great" she handed it to him, "thank you" chris said.

alyvia went to close her backpack when she grabbed something and held it out to him, "i'm gonna assume you need a pencil."

chris stared at the pencil for a few seconds before cracking a smile, "how'd you know?" he joked.

"lucky guess," she responded, shrugging her shoulders.

the sunlight came through the library windows, beaming onto her, and it was then that chris truly couldn't take his eyes off the beautiful girl. he had fallen, hard, but even he couldn't figure that out, after all he was the clueless one. alyvia would have to figure it all out for him.

a/n
her rory gilmore era

i am catcher in the ryes biggest fan, i'm being so fr ive annotated and everything 🤭

sorry if this had any mistakes i wrote it in one sitting eek

updating this while the gals are at school bc i love scaring them ❤️

with love,
sades 💗