fourteen

I didn't end up sleeping the night, and Jayla understood why. Her being the kind and understanding soul she was respected my feelings. It's now Sunday and I'm staring at my ceiling—again. It's like me laying here hours on end, looking up at my walls, gives me answers to all the fucked up shit that's been happening lately.

News flash, it doesn't. I wish it was that simple, but it's not. I actually have to deal with all my shit, said shit being Jaden, Jaden, and oh look, it's Jaden. At this point, me going outside and picking the petals off of a daisy would give me more answers.

Does he like me, does he like me not.

It's just a continuous cycle with me and Jaden. We argue, he says sorry, we actually get along, and then bam, Ava is in the picture again.

Would you actually believe me if I said I haven't been on my phone since the night I messaged Jayla because I just wanted to avoid all the hickey drama floating around the socials? Probably not, but it's true.

Sighing, I pick my phone up for the first time in three days and my eyes widen when I see a message from Jaden...from three days ago.

The day before the hickey drama.

Curious, I open it and just stare at the screen until the words start to jumble together and I need to rapidly blink my eyes and read it again until tears swell in my eyes.

Jaden
You were always my first, Ma.

"He remembered." I whisper to myself as one singular tear drop falls from my eyes and then suddenly I'm hit with nostalgia.

Flashback:
"Jaden, stop!" I giggle as he spins me around in a circle, "Put me down!" He laughs, his dimples showing, as he places me gently onto the ground.

"Take it back then." He pokes me in the side, another giggle erupting from me, as I shake my head 'no'. He shrugs, "Fine, I'll just sit with Ellie tomorrow instead." I gasp dramatically as I softly punch him in the shoulder, "Take that back, J!" Him being the stubborn person he is, he shakes his head 'no' with a soft smile on his face, "Nope." He says, popping the 'p'.

I sigh dramatically, "Fine, I take it back! Your not that bad at baseball." I laugh as his dimples reveal themselves once more.

"You promise?" He now asks, unsure. I nod my head with a soft smile, "I promise. Even if you don't become the best baseball player in the world, you'll always be my favourite person."

"You'll always be mine too." Then, we interlock our pinkies and swear to never leave eachother's side.

Oh, how that aged well....

Flashback over.

I sob as tears fall down from my eyes. How could I forget? How could I forget that I had met Jaden before I met Jayla? We used to be inseparable. Tears stream down my face as I look at the message once more, always....

We had this stupid thing where we would pinky promise eachother that we would be friends no matter what, and we'd seal it with the word always.

That night we kissed, I had asked him when it was my turn to have him....and now I see that I did, in some way. All this deja vu is starting to hit me at once, that I don't even realise that my shoes are on and I'm driving my way to the Waltons' house before I'm parking in their driveway.

I walk straight in, not even waiting for someone to let me in as I make my way up to Jaden's room. I knock once and grow impatient when he doesn't answer. I burst through the door to see him laying on his bed scrolling through his phone before he looks up to see me. "Uhh...have you ever heard of knocking?" I practically slam the door behind me and stride over to Jaden.

"What is this?" I ask as I hold my phone out to the message he had sent me. He glances at it for maybe a second before he shrugs and looks away, like it doesn't even matter, but it does....

"Nothing important, why?" He continues to scroll through his phone. I scoff and grab it out of his hands. "This isn't nothing, Jaden! Can you stop pretending to be a careless prick for one second?!" I shout as tears run down my cheeks once again.

Silence greets me as Jaden still refuses to even acknowledge me properly, and I sigh, "Jaden, please?" I ask pathetically as I watch him with pleading eyes.

"Why does it matter?" he looks at me for the first time since I got here, "You clearly forgot anyways, so why does it matter?" He asks bitterly as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"Because you didn't." I whisper, "You didn't, Jaden. So, that's got to count for something. That night we kissed, you practically told me that I've always had you, I can't just let that go. Not now after I—" I pause my sentence as I realise that this is it, this is where I find out if he likes me back.

"Now that you what, Lee?" I let out a soft sob as I realise that it wasn't even Jayla who gave me that name. I remember now, it was Jaden.

"Not now after I've just remembered that we were friends over a decade ago, and I can't even remember it. Not now, after all the arguments. Not now after all we've been through, J! For fucks sake, I like you and I've been going insane because I couldn't figure out if you even liked me back! And then Ava came back into your life, and I feel like I've lost every fucking chance because—" I'm disrupted as a pair of lips catch mine and I melt into Jaden easily.

His lips move against mine as my hand rests on the side of his face, as I gently stroke his jaw with my thumb. His hand gently pushes on my back whilst the other tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. I pull back to catch my breath and stare into his brown eyes, "I miss you, Jaden." My voice cracks as I speak them four simple words.

Jaden doesn't even say anything as he pulls me onto his bed and pulls me into a hug, "I like you too, Ma. I have since I first saw you." He whispers into my ear as he holds me tight.

"J?" I ask after a moment of silence. He hums into my hair as he draws circles onto my arm, "How come you were always mean to me when I became friends with Jayla?" I ask the one question that's been playing on my mind.

I feel him shrug as his hold tightens around me, "Because you didn't remember me. I was mad because I thought our friendship was special. Even though we were only four." I laugh as he snickers and I turn my head to capture the sight of his dimples that I haven't seen for so long. Without even thinking about it, I lean up and press a quick, but gentle, kiss onto one.

He gives me a strange look and I just laugh, "I remember being obsessed with your smile," I shrug, "Your dimples used to be my favourite feature of yours." He snickers and drops his head into the crook of my neck. "Wait, Jaden. What about you and Ava? Aren't you technically cheating right now?" Worry drenches my voice as I turn my head slightly, so I can look into his eyes, only to see his are shut.

"Well, the fact I saw her kissing another random dude last night, I'd say we're pretty even." He mumbles as he lays back, bringing me with him.

I bite my lip and turn onto my belly, "I'm sorry." I whisper, but he only shrugs, his eyes still shut. "This feels weird, doesn't it?" I ask as I play with one of his hands.

"Mhm, but it also feels right." I smile and nod my head, "It really does."

—and then I wake up.
A/N
Nah, I'm just kidding hehe🤭

Sad to say, but I think there is only going to be a couple of chapters left, but I'm not sure if I like this chapter at all. This book wasn't supposed to have a 'plot' ig, so idk how I feel about this :(

Also, if you dislike this chapter, I'll re-do it and I won't add the plot twist :)