s. wilson + learning to bond with your daughter

"look, baby girl!"

with some difficulty, sam lowers himself stomach-down on the floor, sidling next to you. you both observe your daughter, who is having her own tummy time on the mat.

"it's daddy," you coo, as her cute little expression twists at the sight of sam. "did you miss him?"

she gurgles incoherently.

you smile. "me too."

sam lets her wrap her tiny fingers around his pinky, then presses half a dozen lingering kisses to the side of your face. "hey, mama."

your cheeks heat up at his deep voice, a little scratchy but undeniably real and warm and here. "you smell good."

the first thing he wanted when he got home was a long shower, and on another day, without a little one to watch over, you would've joined him.

now, sam hums. "missed you too."

for several minutes, you watch your daughter together, silent as she curiously prods and giggles at all her colorful toys. sam lets his chin rest on top of his folded arms, half-leaning on your shoulder.

you can tell he's sleepy. "if you're tired, i've got her for a little while longer."

"nah." a small smile touches his lips when she burbles something again, like she wants to join your conversation. "if anything, i'll sleep better tonight after finally spending time with her."

he grabs her before flipping over, letting her resume her tummy time session on the broad expanse of his chest. for a second, you're jealous.

"even just two weeks is too long," he murmurs.

you sit upright, rubbing her tiny back and admiring her kicking legs. "you're captain america, baby."

"hard to find that important at the moment." your baby's mouth suddenly opens in a huge smile, and sam's face lights up.

"it's all important," you admit.

how is he supposed to strike a balance between his family and his job? you want him here, you want him safe, but you know you need to let him go sometimes.

"i don't know how you do it."

he chuckles. "it helps that half the population of delacroix would babysit the second we asked."

he welcomes you into a half-embrace as you curl into his side, caving into your jealousy and basking in his warmth.

"sarah's got our back," he adds, punctuating it with a kiss to your forehead. "and you're an amazing mom."

"i know." your baby reaches a small hand out to you. "but we're better together, and i'm happy you're home."

"next time, they're gonna have to work hard to convince me to leave." sam blinks slowly, his thumb looking comparatively huge as it strokes your daughter's chubby cheeks. "look at this face."