j. storm + skateboard lessons

johnny zooms around effortlessly, using the weight of his body to tilt his skateboard just enough to encapsulate you in a smooth, circular path. you see him frown as he passes by. "you okay?"

"how are you already so good?" the knee pads make your legs feel stick-straight as you wobble on the deck of your board.

johnny isn't even wearing a helmet.

he jumps off, his skateboard continuing to roll on the pavement until it hits a nearby bench. his large hands reach for your waist, anchoring you a little more securely. he laughs. "why are you so tense?"

you suck in a breath. "i've never done this before."

"me neither." his thumbs swipe reassuringly, warm and comforting even through your t-shirt. "you gotta relax, or you'll get hurt."

"okay," you reply cheerfully, as if it's that simple. though, once johnny's palms leave your waist, your trembling resumes with vigor.

luckily, he reappears within seconds. "gotcha."

you desperate grip on his shoulder only reaffirms your suspicions about how built he is—not that you've been looking, obviously—and the realization has your gaze dropping to the ground. "sorry."

"are you really this bad, or is this your way of flirting with me?"

his grasp on your waist tightens as your eyes dart to him in disbelief and embarrassment, your full-bodied scoff almost throwing you off balance.

to your relief, his look is more affectionate than mean.

"as if, storm," you manage pathetically.

"i wouldn't mind."

"i've always wanted to learn to skateboard," you lie.

"so you didn't just agree to doing this with me because—"

"no," you answer too quickly.

he motions back to his abandoned skateboard, the slightest smirk on his handsome face. "so can i go back to—?"

"no." your voice softens. "not yet."

chuckling, johnny starts to walk backward, rolling you along the sidewalk at a calm pace. "baby steps, then."