Ch.2: Memories

It had been a few years since they'd lost both Elijah and Klaus. She hadn't moved since then, but she had gone to one of the few witches she trusted most. An old friend that would do anything for her, no matter what the price was. One of her true friends she'd never threaten or make her hate her one way or another. Unlike some other witches throughout the centuries. And so, she'd had her cloak Hope from anyone that wanted to harm her. In doing so, it had made it easier on her. They were both still dealing with the losses, but were a little better now. They were currently home in the living room. It was evening, and Hope sat on the couch with her, as she was finishing up her Bourbon shot glass for the night, warming up in front of the fireplace that Katherine had lit earlier.

"You've never told me your story. How did you know my family?" Hope wanted to know, as they sat on the couch together.

"Well, I guess if I'm going to raise you to be better than me and your dad, I should tell you the whole story. You're not exactly a scared little girl anymore. Not really," she replied, before finishing her drink for the evening, and setting it down on the coffee table that was in front of the couch. She figured a nine year old girl could take her story. "My story starts before I met your father and uncle. I didn't meet any of your aunts until later centuries. I didn't meet your Uncle Kol until he got undaggered. He attended a party, where I met him. For context, we ladies and girls didn't have a say in anything in my day. In the 1400's, we were just objects that could be told what to do and were expected to follow through. And girls were expected to marry whoever their father chose for them, no questions asked. My father was the biggest drunk in the village in Bulgaria, where I grew up. As a little girl, I loved and looked up to him, but even then, I didn't follow the rules. My father was kind of like your grandfather, but not as brutal. However, because my mother protected me from him in those moments, she was the one he would strike. When she couldn't protect me, I had a horse the stablehand bought me secretly. I'd take Prince to the woods and stay there until I was sure he wasn't angry anymore. When I was to get married to an upper class citizen, I was already in love with the stablehand. Nobody knew this. Then I started to show that I was pregnant. When my father found out, he fired him. Then, when Nadia was born, he took away as punishment to me. Then, the greatest punishment of all, he banished me from Bulgaria completely, disowning me as his daughter. And my mother, because of the times, had to do the same. She had no choice in the matter. Two years later, I found myself alone and in England, where I met Trevor. Trevor invited me to a ball, which ironically was for your father's birthday. That's where I met your Uncle Elijah and Klaus. I was his doppelganger that could have broken the spell that made his werewolf side dormant, but once I knew what he was, his intentions, and what would happen during the ritual to me, Trevor and Elijah helped me escape when Elijah couldn't persuade Klaus to spare my life. Trevor directed me to a cabin his friend Rose lived, and she tried to hand me over, so I did the only thing I thought was the right choice. I killed myself. Only I hadn't learned all of the details, so I was unaware until after that having vampire blood in my system would put me in transition. Once I figured that out, I completed the transitioned and fled. When I reached my village, I came upon the aftermath of the slaughter. I had come to seek my vengeance on my father, but I'm glad yours did it for me, so I wouldn't have to. When I found my mother though, it was heartbreaking. As I described before, I thought my life was over. And then the grief quickly turned into revenge. He was a monster. He killed my mother. I wanted him dead after that. During my search for how to do so though, I went in search of Nadia. When I figured out she must've still been in Bulgaria somewhere, I searched every village. I just couldn't find her. I guess I just had to wait a few centuries or so for her to find me, instead. So, you see, even before your father met me, I was always similar to him. And because he hunted me for over 500 years, I became a lot more like him than I wanted to admit. But I didn't know his story until centuries later. I was a foolish vampire though, when I was young. Throughout my centuries of being a vampire, I made enemies. I was young when I made a couple werewolf enemies and a witch, but the one thing I never did, minus this century with the Gilberts, was threaten a kid. Because of my mistakes as a vampire, your Uncle Elijah was always there to protect me, save me, and be my strength when I felt weak. And I was drawn to him before I became a vampire, so my love for him started before I even knew what existed. I met your Uncle Kol during one of the many parties your family loved to join throughout the world. The many centuries that I created enemies, a lot of them are because I ruined lives or I threatened them or someone they knew."