01. Pilot

Dean, after finishing his hunt, buckled Kit into her car seat and drove to Palo Alto, California.

He checked on Kit, finding her fast asleep, and got out of the car and pulled out a pair of bolt cutters, and walked up to the gate. He hoped it wouldn't be too long. He unlocked the gate and he made his way to Sam's apartment.

He opened the window to Sam's apartment and climbed through first.

When he was inside, he closed the window almost the entire way.

Dean clinked the beer cabinet. He walked past the string at the far end of the hall. He hit his hip on the corner of a table winced.

Sam, who had been woken up, moved to another part of the apartment and waited as Dean entered the room.

Sam lunged forward and grabbed Dean's shoulder. Dean knocked Sam's arm away and aimed a strike at Sam, who ducked. Dean grabbed Sam's arm, swung him around, and shoved him back. Sam kicked and was blocked before being pushed into another room. Sam got a glimpse of Dean, though he didn't immediately recognize his brother. Dean elbowed Sam in the face and Sam kicked at his head. Dean ducked and swung, but Sam blocked it. Dean knocked Sam down and pinned him to the floor, one hand at Sam's neck and the other holding Sam's wrist.

"Whoa, easy tiger," Dean said.

Sam breathed hard. "Dean?" His elder brother laughed. "You scared the crap out of me!"

"That's 'cause you're out of practice."

Sam grabbed Dean's hand and yanked, slamming his heel into Dean's back and Dean to the floor.

"Or not," Dean said.

Sam tapped Dean twice where he had him.

"Get off of me," Dean demanded.

Sam rolled to his feet and pulled Dean up. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I was looking for a beer."

Dean put his hands on Sam's shoulders, shook once, and let go.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sam repeated.

"Okay. All right. We gotta talk."

"Uh, the phone?"

"If I'd'a called, would you have picked up?"

Jessica turned the light on. She was in pink short shorts and a gray cropped Smurfs shirt.

"Sam?" Jess called.

The brothers turned their heads in unison.

"Jess," Sam noted. "Hey. Dean, this is my girlfriend, Jessica."

Dean looked at Jess with a small smile.

Realization dawned on Jess' face. "Wait, your brother Dean?" She smiled and nodded.

Dean grinned and stepped closer. "Oh, I love the Smurfs. You know, I gotta tell you. You are completely out of my brother's league."

"Just let me put something on," Jess replied uncomfortably as she turned to leave.

Dean's voice stopped her. "No, no, no, I wouldn't dream of it. Seriously."

"Right." Dean went going back over to Sam. Sam watched him with a stony expression.

After a moment, Dean said, "Anyway, I gotta borrow your boyfriend here, talk about some private family business. But, uh, nice meeting you."

"No," Sam protested, walking over to Jess and putting an arm around her. "No, whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of her."