37. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part Two)

Dean stood next to Sam's body. Kit was asleep, wrapped up in her blanket.

Bobby entered with a bucket of chicken and said, "Dean?"

"No thanks," Dean replied. "We're fine."

"You should eat something."

"I said I'm fine."

"Dean... I hate to bring this up, I really do. But don't you think maybe it's time... we bury Sam."

"No."

"We could," Bobby sighed, "maybe..."

Dean interrupted him. "What? Torch his corpse? Not yet."

"I want you and Kit to come with me."

"We're not going anywhere."

"Dean, please."

"Would you cut me some slack?"

"I just don't think you should be alone, that's all. I gotta admit -- I could use your help."

"Bobby-"

"Something big is going down -- end-of-the-world big."

"Well, then let it end!"

"You don't mean that."

"You don't think so? Huh? You don't think Kit and I've given enough? You don't think Kit and I've paid enough? I'm done with it. All of it. And if you know what's good for you, turn around, and get the hell out of here. Go! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Please, just go."

"You know where I'll be." He left.

Dean took another look at Sam's body and a tear fell from his eye.

WOODS

Jake was sitting in a campsite with a fire burning. He was dozing off, but suddenly woke to see the Yellow-Eyed Demon standing in front of him.

"Howdy, Jake," the Yellow-Eyed Demon greeted.

"I'm -- I'm dreaming aren't I?" Jake asked.

"I've got a genius on my hands. Well congratulations, Jake. You're it -- last man standing. The American Idol. I have to admit -- You weren't the horse I was bettin' on, but still, I gotta give it to you."

"Go... to Hell."

"Been there... done that."

"Everything you put me through -- dragging me to that place, making me kill those people..."

"All part of the beauty pageant. Jake, I needed the strongest, and that's you."

"Needed me for what?"

"Oh, I got a laundry list of tasty things for you."

"The only thing I am going to do is wake up, hunt you down, and kill you myself."

"You know, others have tried. It's not easy. Trust me, Jake. You want to be a good little soldier, here."

"And if I'm not?"

"If you're a bad little soldier, well, that dear old mom of yours, that adorable little sister, I'll make certain that they both live long enough to know the chewy taste of their own intestines. No, Jake. I'm not bluffing."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Like I said -- genius."

MOTEL ROOM

Sam's corpse was lying on a mattress. Dean was sitting next to him, gloomy. Kit was still asleep.

Dean began speaking. "You know, when you were little -- you couldn't have been more than five -- you just started asking questions. How come we didn't have a mom? Why do we always have to move around? Where'd Dad go when he'd take off for days at a time? I remember I begged you -- "Quit asking, Sammy. Man, you don't want to know." I just wanted you to be a kid... Just for a little while longer. I always tried to protect you... Keep you safe... Dad didn't even have to tell me. It was just always my responsibility, you know? It's like I had one job... I had one job... And I screwed it up. I blew it. And for that, I'm sorry. I guess that's what I do. I let down the people I love. I guess I haven't let Kit down completely. Yet. I let Dad down. And now I guess I'm just supposed to let you down, too. How can I? How am I supposed to live with that? What am I supposed to do? Sammy. God. What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to do?!"