Chapter 3: A Special Kind of Offer

Jump:

"Come on," I scream, running as fast as I can. I only stop when I realize I'm alone. "Uh? Where are Hothead and Shocker?"

I turn around to see the two slowly following after me. Shocker doesn't look so bad but Hothead looks like he's about to faint.

"Come on," I scream again, running back and grabbing Hothead's arm. "Move faster. We're already 20 minutes late to class. Come on!"

Hothead pushes me away and bends over.

"Give me a second," he pants, "Give me a second to catch my breath."

"Now?"

"I used a lot of fire during the fight with borebacks. Okay. Fire uses a lot of oxygen."

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"Come on," I say, dragging Hothead through the busy city street. I drag and drag him all the way until we reach the front of the local fighter academy. Once there, I let go and peek around the corner, through the gate.

"Okay," I whisper, looking back at Hothead and Shocker. "There's a chance. There's a small chance we can sneak in without the Headmaster noticing us."

Shocker shakes his hand in front of us, grabbing our attention.

"What," I ask.

Shocker then shakes his head and points past us.

"Oh no," I think, turning around to see the Headmaster standing in front of us.

"My office," he says, "Now."

Hothead:

"We are in so much trouble," Jump yells, rubbing her hands through her hair. "Oh my god! Oh my god! We are in so much trouble! I can't believe we were so late!"

As Jump rants nervously while Shocker just sits there, I look around the detention room. It's a small room with only a table and a light hovering above it. Normally, there would be two chairs, one for the student in trouble and for the Headmaster. However, this time, since there are three of us, there are four chairs.

"What's going to happen," Jump says, slamming her forehead into her hand. "What's going to happen to me? To you? And you, Shocker?

"Calm down," I say, patting Jump on her back.

She turns toward me and slaps my hand away.

"How can you be so calm," she says. "You heard Headmaster Strictcon. This is the last time! The last time! We're going to be expelled. My parents are going to kill me. Worst, they're going to make it so I never see you or Shocker again. This is horrible."

"It's not that bad," I say. "I mean, you heard that fighter that saved us. We could've been in a worse situation."

Jump shakes her head.

"I think he was referring to the fight against the aracharles," Jump says. "You know, the one that almost ate us. Not this. Honestly, I'd rather be fighting that than be here!"

About to say something, the door slams open and Headmaster Strictcon enters. A stern and tall man with a permanent frown on his face, Headmaster Strictcon crosses his arms the second he sees the three of us.

"You three again," he says. He grumbles as he pulls out a small white and silver cylinder from his back pocket. Pushing a button, his holo-display comes on and a see-through green screen shoots out from the cylinder.

"Sulien Bokamoso," he starts, pulling up my files. "Corentin Keanu. Eimear Avita."

"Actually," I say while raising my hand. "We prefer to go by-"