Chapter 4

Chapter 4

• • •

Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer

• • •

Je t'aime

• •

Five years ago

Paris, France

Serenity laughed at Etienne's sudden suggestion. She must be probably drunk. No stranger would just agree with her absurd idea—especially a cute French stranger into marrying her. They just met. "You're drunk. I think betweent the two of us, you're the drunk one."

But the guy didn't say anything. Instead, he let out a sigh. "I am not joking."

Bigla siyang natigilan. Napakunot-noo siya habang nakatitig dito. "What the fuck?" She doesn't really curse that much in real life but with the guy's reply, napapamura na lang siya. "Are you fucking serious?"

"Marry me and you'll see." Etienne sounded like he was challenging her. Binigyan naman niya ito ng masamang tingin.

"What would be your reason into marrying a complete stranger? I mean, my reason is a little bit understandable. But you, you don't look like you're broke and most probably you aren't that desperate to get married. With your looks, you can just have any woman that you want." She replied in complete disbelief. Pinaglolo-loko ata siya ng lalakeng ito. "And if you're fucking bluffing, that's not a really nice joke."

"You're right." The guy put his attention into the Seine river in front of them again. "I am not broke nor desperate."

"So what? You pity me? Well, I don't need your pity nor mercy—"

"This is voluntary," he didn't let her finish and spoke like it was simple. "I'm marrying you so my family would stop matchmaking me with their friend's daughter."

Serenity fell quiet for a second. "Really?"

Etienne shrugged. "What else are we gonna lose?"

"I don't have anything to lose," she looked at him while squinting her eyes. "But if you're really into my idea, comparing to me, you gonna lose a lot."

"Nah," he shook his head and suddenly offered his hand. "Let's get married tonight, stranger. I know some nearby chapel here where we can make this possible."