Chapter 4: The Campout

"Okay, so first, we set up the tents, after that we'll do some swimming, then Launchpad will teach us how to talk to squirrels," Huey was explaining everything he had planned to Webby for the Junior Woodchuck campout later that night. "This is gonna be so fun!" Webby jumped up. Huey smiled, but then frowned. "Do you think that Dewey is mad at me?" he asked. Webby shook her head. "No, I just think he's used to having me play with him more. But he'll get over it, it'll be fine." Huey nodded. "Yeah, I think you're right. Let's finish packing our drawstring bags."

Huey and Webby were packing their bags in the triplet's room. "I can't believe Launchpad is going to teach us how to talk to squirrels!" Webby exclaimed. "And Violet and I are sharing a tent! How cool is this gonna be!?" Huey nodded, still thinking about Dewey. "Wait..." he said. "If Launchpad's flying the plane...who is going to be our camp counselor?"

"Hello, lad and laddie!"

They looked up. It was Scrooge! And he was wearing a Junior Woodchuck outfit! "Uncle Scrooge! You're going to be our Junior Woodchuck counselor?" Huey asked. Scrooge spun his fedora-like hat around on his head. "Indeed! I was a Junior Woodchuck back in Scotland! Or as we called it there, Junior Pine Martins!" Huey jumped up. "Really!? How many merit badges do you have? Were you ever a Senior Pine Martin? I have so many questions!" Scrooge laughed. "We leave at five. Best be going soon!" He walked out of the room.

"We're here!" Webby cheered. "The site for the Junior Woodchuck Campout!" Huey put his hand on her shoulder. "Okay, Webby. This is your chance to earn as many badges as you can! First, tent pitching."

Webby took out her purple tent, hammer, and stakes. "Let's pitch this tent!" Just then, Violet and Boyd arrived! "Hi, Webby! Hi, Huey!" They said. "Alright!" Scrooge said. "Now that everyone's here, we have to do tent assignments! Hunh. I thought it was supposed to be boys and girls...I mean, Launchpad made this so of course it's messed up, but I'm afraid we have to sleep in different tents than expected. Webby and Huey will share and Violet and Boyd will share." Webby looked shattered. "No! I brought so many fun girl things to do!" Huey looked at her questioningly. "What do you mean, girl things?"

"Oh, you know, demon summoning, magic axes, just normal girl stuff." Huey nodded. "Yep. Normal girl stuff." Scrooge started the first activity. Okay, lads and laddies! Let's pitch these tents!" 

"It looks like you're not the only Junior Woodchucks from Duckburg..." a shadow called from the distance. "Or should I say...St. Canard?"

Huey gasped. "It's Gosalyn!"

"Hey, guys!" Gosalyn said. "I and my dad tried to last minute-sign up, did we get in?" Scrooge looked at them, feeling bad. There was no Gosalyn on the list. "Of course you did! You may share a tent with your dad!" Huey ran over to look at Gosalyn's sash. "Wow...you have so many of the hardest badges! Crime fighting, Cloudkicking, and...Comic Book Design? That's a badge?" Gosalyn nodded. "Um, is Dewey here?" she asked. "No," Huey replied. "He's accompanying our Uncle Donald on a world tour." Gosalyn looked down. "Oh. Okay. Well, let's pitch the tent, dad!"

"Hello, Mr. McDuck! Do you remember me, Drake Mallard? Darkwing Duck? I dressed up as you during the Moonvasion?" Scrooge looked at him, as if he were trying to remember something. "No, I'm afraid I don't. But I do remember Gosalyn!"

When all of the tents were pitched, Scrooge announced the next activity. "It's time for swimming in the lake!" he said. Boyd gave the thumbs up. "Everyone change into your swimsuits!"

Webby was the first one changed, so she headed down to the lake. She looked at her reflection in the water. 'Am I a McDuck, a Vanderquack, or FOWL?' she thought. 'Granny lied to me...who am I?' Her reflection faded into Black Heron. 'Is this what I'll become?' she thought. "Yes." her reflection said. "Come April, you're one of us! You can't deny who you are!"

"No! I'll never be like you! Never!"

"Webby, wake up! Wake up!" Huey said. "Are you okay? You were yelling in your sleep!" Webby nodded. "Yeah...just a bad dream, I guess." Huey tilted his head and looked at her for a moment. "C'mon, it's time for roasting marshmallows."

"Want to play truth or dare?" Violet asked. Webby nodded. "That sounds fun!" Boyd said. Huey winced. He did NOT like truth or dare. "Okay..." Webby started. "Violet! Truth or Dare?" she asked. "Truth." Violet said. "Who is your crush?" Webby asked in a villainous voice. "No! Something else!" Violet yelled pleadingly. "Fine..." she said after a while. "My crush is..."

"Louie!"

Everyone gasped and starting 'oohing.' Violet blushed hard and hid her face. "Violet has a crush on Louie!" Webby screamed. "Webby!" Violet said. "Violet has a crush on my youngest great-nephew?" Scrooge said, walking over. Violet stared at him. "I'm sorry, Mr. McDuck, sir!" Violet said frantically. "Oh, you don't have to apologize!" Scrooge said. "Besides, I'm shipping it now. Also, call me Counselor Scrooge for today!" Violet's face turned red. That got Huey thinking, 'What if I'm next? Will I have to tell everyone who my crush is?" He started breathing fast. "Are you okay, Huey?" Boyd asked. "You appear to be hyperventilating!" Huey nodded. "Don't worry, I'm okay, j-just a little o-out of breath..." Boyd perked up, now thinking his friend was okay. "How about we ask Huey next, guys?" he asked. "Um, no thanks, Boyd. I'll just go to sleep now." Scrooge nodded. "And it is late! Beddy-bye time, everyone!"

Gosalyn laughed. "Well, no one will ever know who MY crush is!" she boasted. "We all know that you have a crush on Dewey, Gos!" Violet called. "Yeah, we all knew that!" Huey laughed. "What!?" Gosalyn looked emberassed and ran into her tent.

"I can't sleep." Huey said. "We just got into the tent, like, less than a minute ago!" Webby laughed. "I know, but I've got something on my mind..." He started, realizing the mistake that he had just made. Webby loved to make people feel better, and she would ask him what was on his mind for sure. Any second now... "Well, what's on your mind?" she asked. There it was. "I-I don't wanna talk about it." he said. Webby shrugged. "You might not feel better though!" she said. "I-I'll just take some of my essential oils then."

"I brought this thing that I thought Violet would like, but I don't know If you'd wanna see it or not," she said. "What is it?" Huey asked, thinking that this was the perfect opportunity to change the topic. "It's a flashlight that projects stars and constellations. She shined the light up. It looked as if they were staring at the whole entire sky all over the world and the universe. "Wow." Huey said. "That's amazing..." Webby nodded. "I know. I would look at it all night but, I'm kind of tired from swimming. Goodnight, Huey!" Webby turned her back to him and laid down. As soon as Webby fell asleep, Huey took out the flashlight and shined it up again. And he sat there.

For the whole night.