Chapter 16

The break was finally over. Nicole was on her way to LA. She kept smiling throughout the journey, thinking about Gia.

Gia.

Gia fed her and showed concern when they weren't even talking to each other. Gia was always available for her and never let her down. She in a way gave her a new life by introducing her to new people and help her move on. Gia did not ask any questions and stood by her when Ember visited her.

She patiently heard her story. She took care of her, she did not leave her alone even for a second. Gia took Nicole back home and gave her a lifetime of memories. To feel included in a new family, the way she was with Ember's, felt different and nice.

How could Nicole never see the number of efforts Gia had taken for her? Why did she never appreciate her for that?

When Nicole was in the flight back to San Diego from NYC, it was the first time she wasn't with Gia for a really long time.

A sudden wave of emptiness settled in her heart and she started to feel sad. She missed her. It had just been a few hours, and she missed her terribly. She wanted to go back and hug her and sit with her and get annoyed, but she just wanted to be in her presence.

The whole day she prepared to face Ember, it felt as if Gia was right by her, standing next to her, helping her to stay strong.

Nicole and Gia were always together, but it was the distance between them that helped her realize her love for her.

Therapy helped her get over her fear. She wasn't afraid of getting attached, she was afraid of the same thing happening again, so she had shut herself completely. The heart wants what it wants, and she did not even realize that she had fallen for her best friend and that she had to be separated from her to realize it.

She wasn't sure whether Gia did all this out of love or out of friendship, but she was sure of one thing, she had to tell her how she felt.

Gia: i have reached. Come soon, the hostel seems empty without you.

Nicole's phone buzzed, she unlocked the phone and her wallpaper was of the both of them. She first smiled at the picture, and then she smiled because of the text.

Nicole: On my way, Gia. Can't wait to see you too♡

After a few hours, Nicole finally reached her room. She kept her bags and went straight to the first floor to see Gia.

As soon as she reached the floor, she saw Gia coming out of the room. Gia noticed her and her mouth widened into a grin.

She ran towards Nicole and jumped on her to hug her with her legs around her waist and her arms around her neck, Nicole easily caught her and hugged her back.

They stayed like this for some time and then Gia cleared her throat and got down. Nicole noticed that she was holding her room key, which had her compass keychain attached to it.

For some reason Gia looked even more beautiful, she seemed a little different, happier for some reason.

Gia wanted to continue to hug her, she did not want to let go, but then she did not want Nicole to feel uncomfortable. She had missed her terribly and wanted to stay with her after such a long break of one and a half weeks.

"Fuck you”, Gia screamed and then hit Nicole hard on the arm.

Now that was something Nicole did not expect.

“What?”

“Who does this? You give such a beautiful gift, and then you leave me alone with it. You asshole, do you know how much I cried that night”, Gia half screamed, her eyes getting moist again.

Nicole was about to say something, but Gia spoke again.

“The next day, you inform me that you reached home and then radio silence. I have no fucking idea about you for the rest of few days. At least you had the decency to text me your plans, otherwise I wasn't even expecting that”.

Nicole smiled as the adorable, short girl was standing in front of her, fuming with anger. Nicole hugged her again and Gia protested by continuing to hit her, but she did not budge.

“I hate you”, Gia whispered.

“I love you too”, Nicole whispered back, meaning every word that she spoke.

Gia took a deep breath and wished what she had said was true but alas, Nicole did not feel that way about her, at least that's what Gia thought.

“I loved your gift too. I had placed it in my room and I got it here. I will put it up on the wall”, Nicole smiled as she finally released Gia from her bear hug.

“All this sweet talk is not going to let you off the hook, Nicole Miller. You are going to tell me where the fuck were you all these days”.

Nicole and Gia sat in Nicole's room, and she updated her about everything that went down with Ember. She conveniently did not speak about her plans of asking Gia out, but did tell her that Ember knew they weren't in a relationship.

“I am so fucking proud of you”, Gia screamed, “I'm glad you gave it back to her”.

“I am glad too”, Nicole smiled.

“So why didn't you text me all this, or call me? Are we in living in the 1880s?” Gia asked, frustrated.

“I wanted to stay alone for some time. Last year, I had shut myself off into my room. This time when I went home, I went out, roamed around in my hometown, went to my favorite cafés, hung out at my iced coffee spot. Learned to live in my hometown without Ember. Learned to live with myself, and I enjoyed that. Helped me realize that if I do move on with someone else, it won't be a big deal anymore”, Nicole smiled.

Gia's expression was soft, and she genuinely was proud of Nicole. She got up and gave her a quick hug and then sat down again.

“Really proud of you Nicole, really proud of the progress you've made”, Gia smiled sweetly.

“You know what, I'm proud of myself too”, Nicole stood up excitedly.

Nicole and Gia sat quietly for some time. Nicole was ready to move on, was it the best time for her to ask her out? But what if she says no, what if she wants to spend time with herself before she moves on.

Nicole was building up the courage to ask her out. Her brain kept telling her to keep this information inside her and not spoil the friendship, but her heart was adamant.

Nicole took a deep breath and began to speak.

“It's the first day of college tomorrow”.

Nicole hit herself in her head, she was so nervous.

“Yup, can't wait to get back into a routine”, Gia replied.

Nicole took a deep breath again.

“Can't wait to go back to the gym”, Nicole closed her eyes out of frustration.

'Stupid bitch SAY IT' She thought to herself.

“Are you okay?” Gia asked as she noticed Nicole getting visibly upset.

“Gia?”

“Yes Nicole”.

“I have to tell you something”.

“Okay, go ahead”, Gia got a little nervous, and her heart began to race.

Nicole sat there quietly, waiting for her mouth to open and say the words.

“Oh my god, you…you are going to give me an anxiety attack”, Gia burst.

“I love you!” Nicole almost screamed.

“WHAT!?" Gia was at the same pitch too.

“I…no wait”, Nicole stammered, “I love you. I mean, I'm in love with you. Wait, please give me a second. I should've prepared something”.

Gia sat there, completely numb to what was happening around her. “I love you” kept ringing in her head continuously. Was this really happening, or was it a dream?