Chapter 25: Treacle tart, think and a sweet wrapper

25 July 1992

Dear Harrison

Congratulations! I'm glad you got into the house you wanted. But you'll still be my friend right? Although, the other Slytherins might force you to not be friends with Gryffindors. I don't want to lose y

Never mind, can we talk about it tomorrow, please? Gran says we'll have those strawberry cakes. I asked her to get some treacle tart as well, I know you love treacle tart.

About Evelyn not having a job, that's indeed normal in pureblood culture. Gran doesn't have an official job either. She's part of the Hogwarts Board of Governors and the head of my family until I am of age and all, but she never had a job herself, even when she was younger. It's normal for purebloods, it's mainly halfbloods who have "official" jobs to earn a living in the wizarding world. A good chunk of muggleborns leave the wizarding world for the muggles a few years after they finish Hogwarts, definitely with the war and the prejudice and all. For such an important family as the Black family, it would be surprising and well, weird, I suppose, if Lady Black had a job.

For Lord Black, on the other hand, it would be usual if he got a job at the ministry, like Lord Malfoy or Lord Diggory. It's not necessarily to earn much money, but to have influence and come in contact with other Lords etc. Lord Weasley or Lady Bones have more jobs that are especially to earn a living. Lady Bones is an example of a pureblood lady to have job because she's not married. The Weasley family is quite the opposite from the Black family, so that's why Ron's dad needs an actual job. I'm sure you were already aware of the fact that the Weasley family doesn't have much influence, prestige or a good image. They lost it after a blood feud with the Malfoy family decades ago, I'm not sure when it was exactly, but I can search for it if you wish. It's the reason why Ron and Malfoy hate each other so much and no one was surprised about it, at least not the purebloods.

Anyway, there are of course purebloods and halfbloods that married purebloods that do have a job, just to fill their life. Not everyone is part of such important families like yours, Harry. Both the Potter family and the Black family are two very important families in the history of the wizarding world, with a lot of influence, even more than the Malfoy family. My parents for example were aurors, but I don't know whether it was just because of the upcoming war or not. Aurors are an important and often chosen job for those that want to do something for the wizarding world and as a contrast to the more slow, and sometimes boring if you ask me, life of a pureblood family.

See you tomorrow!

Be well, Harrison.

Neville Longbottom

*********************************

26 July 1992

"Why would you ever think that!? You're my best friend, Neville. Nothing can change that. Just because I'm in Slytherin now, doesn't mean I'll suddenly ignore you or something."

Right, Neville thought, of course, how could he think Harrison would just drop him? Hadn't his friend told him before that he was Harrison's most trusted?

"Right, right, of course." He said quickly.

Harrison frowned, "Come on, Nev, why don't we get some more strawberry cakes, and treacle tart! There's treacle tart! You can't say no to treacle tart, Nev!" Harrison jumped up and held his hand out for Neville to grab.

Chuckling, Neville got up as well. At least there's one thing that'll never change... Harrison's love for treacle tart. "You're sure Lady Black will let you even more? You already ate thre—"