X

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

Once they were sure that they lost the men with guns, everyone finally relaxed, letting out relieved sighs.

"Everyone in one piece?"

"Kids, are you okay?" Caitlin turned to inspect her children for any injuries but slacken once she saw none

"Fine" Lauren answered for both her and Andy

"Val, you all right?" John turned to watch Val as she raised a thumbs up

"Never better" trying to control her rapid breathing as she closed her eyes, A thin layer of sweat was present

"Get everybody inside, I'll be there in a minute" John looked at Marcos as he added "and make sure Val is okay"

Marcos had no other choice but to take the wheel as he nodded in exhaustion, as he was about to start the car, he heard Caitlin whisper
"You were right" then spoke again like an afterthought "both of you" Glancing at a panting Valentine behind her.

"I'm sorry"

"That's all right" Marcos forgiving as always replies back. "You did something stupid for someone you love, can't say I haven't done the same"

Outside John was lovingly embraced by Clarice, who then pulled away to check for injuries and ask questions.

John noticed her affection immedietly and was suspicious, glanced at Sonya, only to see she was avoiding his questioning gaze.

She looked as if she wanted to disapper from his sight.

Then he finally convinced Clarice to go back inside, once they were alone, John asked tensely "what did you do?"

"You needed help, she needed something to connect to, so...." pause

"I gave her a memory" John sighed, knowing they didn't need another problem at their hands

He was barely keeping it together with a loose canon Marcos.

"Of us" and that was the nail in the coffin.

"Do you realize what you've done? What that could lead to!?"

Sonya replied "believe me johnny, I do" but John wasn't done as he spat back at dreamer

"We had it handled, Val had it handled"

"Yeah? And what if she didn't? Huh? I was running out of options and so I took it, you may not like it but now there's nothing we could do about it"
Sonya answered defensively and when she finished she walked away from john and went back inside

Inside, smiles of reliefs and hugs were exchanged as the rest of the mutants who were left behind crowded around them.

Once they settled into the base, and returned to their normal.