6

Megan~

"How's the move coming along?" Megan was on the phone with Mama Tina, Beyoncé's mother. She had played a huge role in their lives and even after Beyoncé passed, she continuously checked on Akira and Megan.

"Its going pretty smooth. Akira still hasn't adjusted but I think she likes her school. She made a friend."

"You mean she actually talked to someone?"

"Shocked me too but we had dinner with them last night. They're our neighbors and it was actually nice. I can't remember the last time I had a real adult interaction that didn't involve work."

"Oh Megan, I'm proud of both of you. I know it hasn't been easy but this is a great step in the right direction. You two barley left the house most days back in Chicago. I'm really glad you're picking things up."

Megan placed more of their fine China in the cabinets and sighed. She was proud of herself for finally getting things together but it just didn't feel right. Nothing felt right. She didn't think moving on without her wife was a step in the right direction... In fact it felt like a step back. She and Beyoncé talked about moving to Charlotte for years, the odds were just in Megan's favor that she was able to be transferred here.

"It's going to take some more adjusting but I'm back working now and Akira's in school again so... We should be fine."

"Well I sure hope to see you two for Thanksgiving. Neither of you have seen the family since the funeral. It'd be really nice to have everyone together again for a more positive gathering."

"Honestly Mama T, I'm gonna leave that decision up to Akira. You know how much Bey loved the holiday's. It'll be our first without her and I'm not too sure how she's gonna take it."

"I understand, but Beyoncé also loved family. I know it would mean a lot if you two kept the tradition going and came to visit. We all miss you both."

Megan sighed. She knew that this would be an issue, but little did anybody know, she and Beyoncé discussed these things before she passed. They agreed that decisions like this would be left up to their daughter. They wanted to allow her to feel like she had a voice in her life still and that Megan wasn't just dictating what she could and couldn't do since Beyoncé was no longer here. It made the most sense now, especially considering Megan and Akira's rocky relationship.

"We'll see mama..."

Megan checked the time on her phone and realized that Akira would be home soon. "Hey mama I'm gonna call you later."

"Okay, have my grandbaby call me."

"Yes ma'am love you."

"I love you too baby, I'll see you soon."

Megan and Mama Tina said their last goodbyes before hanging up. Afterwards Megan continued getting the kitchen together so that it would soon feel like their home. In the meantime, Akira was on her way home with Chance.

"You know that boy in Chemistry that sits directly behind you? I've liked him since Freshman year, I think I want to ask him to Homecoming."

"Why would you do that?"

"Cause I like him?" Chance glanced at Akira in confusion.

Akira scoffed with a head shake, "he's a narcissist asshole that sees women as an object rather than an actual human being. I could see that from a mile away."

"He's not? He has a feminist tattoo."

"That's even worse."

Chance frowned with a low mumble, "I'm still gonna ask him."