DESTINY'S CHILD

"Looking outside and certain that there was no one watching, Beiyuan returned his head into the room where some four men were.
        "I understand you know why I have called you here." He said and bowing their heads to him they replied in unison saying yes while he turned to the bed where Yang Meizi was lying.
         "There's people in Fuzhou and they shall march up this hill in the night though we can't be sure that they'll forfeit patrolling this place during the day eventually when they learn that Our Miss isn't around, they shall retaliate and whether they have to turn this whole place upside down they shall pursue us to the bitter end." Beiyuan said and the young men keeping quiet they looked at each other.
          "Are you all afraid?" He asked.
          "No." One of them replied.
          "We were captives in the mountains forgotten by the world and we owe her our lives which we did too little to keep." Another added.
          "Then you understand that the purpose for this meeting is to ensure Milady's safe arrival to Nanping and for that to happen your mere presence shows that you have vowed to protect her with all your lives." Beiyuan said.
         "Yes Milord." They replied.
         "We must get to Nanping before sunset but the journey for Milady shall surely be uneasy, nonetheless, we march out at once." He muttered and quietly bowing their heads, the doors were opened and Jinglan standing outside, they carried Yang Meizi on her bed and led her down the staircase into a small maroon carriage that was attached to a red stead. 
          They headed out through the gates of the small courtyard leaving Jinglan behind to watch the place.
          Court Lady Cao accompanied by Linxiang entered into the nearby room and picking a small piece of paper and a brush she scribbled down something hastily which she gave to her attendant.
          "Tie this to the pigeon and release it before anyone else sees you." She commanded.
          "Yes Milady." Linxiang replied as she got out of the room.
          The assassins drawing closer to the small cottage they halted in the woods as they stared at it's fence.
           The place was awfully quiet with a set of guards outside it looked close to deserted Qi Zhouchang who was in the lead waved his hand up for all the others lingering behind him and they moved around the place surrounding the hilltop.
          While they kept a low profile for about thirty minutes towards noon, the gates of the small place were opened and right out of them a small carriage was pulled out on a red stead as it travelled further towards the West.
          "What's happening?" One of Qi Zhouchang's colleagues asked.
          "I don't know." Qi Zhouchang replied and looking at the others that were already around the whole compound, they climbed up the walls and then silently they descended into the Courtyard and started rummaging through its contents the noise intense drew the guards outside in and Qi Zhouchang leading the rest they launched towards the gates knocking them down.
         The force of about three men was surrounded by more than sixteen assassins.
         "Protect our lady." One of the three guards yelled and at that moment each one of them rushing towards the inner courtyard they pushed the doors open only to find that in front of the stairs of the central building another four assassins awaited them.
          Back to back they leaned against each other while the others in the outer courtyard charged and climbed up the roofs they descended in their midst with their swords and sabres the two antagonistic parties went into thorough collision warding each other off while Qi Zhouchang started walking towards the main house.
         One of the guards noticing he charged from the rest of the group towards him and leaped in the air descending with his sword upon Qi Zhouchang who guarded himself from the intense blow the blade of his contender shining his eyes looking into the young man's spelt only fury and courage he seemed fearless.
        The older gathering his might pushed the younger away and he started backwards while all the other assassins came and they placed themselves in between the two with a sole purpose of protecting their master.
         "Kill." He ordered and they scattered about charging towards the young man the first two swinging their Spears he leaped and with a spinning kick in air he kicked they away.
          The other pair taking him from the side threw their blades which were attached to chains and the young man summersaulting ceased them by their arms and threw them back at their owners who dodged them and tightened them in their grip.
         At that stage Qi Zhouchang seemed weary of the young man's skill while he continued to put himself into a very fierce battle with the rest of his men he pulled some small daggers from beneath his sleeve and launching them at the young man in combat, he turned around and put his colleagues instead as a defensive shield they died instantly Qi Zhouchang seemed startled while the latter only smiled at himself with contentment.
         "Is that it?" Qi Zhouchang asked.
         "I shall kill you here." The young replied.
         "Some remarkable skills for your age, that technique, it's very familiar." Qi Zhouchang remarked.
         "Then face me and feel the wrath of my blade." The young man said and pointing it ahead he flew towards Qi Zhouchang who tightening his grip around his sabre he swang it towards the young man who aiming to guard it from the side the force too great overwhelmed him it sent him flying into the nearby wooden buckets he hit his back hard against the wall.
         "Get the woman and kill her." Qi Zhouchang ordered and the rest of his men having annihilated the other two mounted the stairs and they kicked the doors of the room opened.
          They entered and shuffled through its compartments and alas Qi Zhouchang still standing outside one made it into the bed room he could see someone shivering and shaking in the bed.
          At that moment the fallen defender looking around he picked a small flying dagger that was fallen and held it in his arms while on the inside, the man ceasing the covers of the bed he pulled them off only to see a sheep whose mouth and feet had been tied he was infuriated. 
         "Where's the Lady?" Another asked.
         "She's not here." He replied as he quickly turned around to run out of the building and inform his master.
          Qi Zhouchang impatiently waiting was greeted with the emergence of his men from the building.
          "Pardon us Milord." They said, "the woman is nowhere to be seen." Another added.
          "What?" Qi Zhouchang asked and turning to look at the last surviving guard he smiled ghastly at them gathering his might and courage he threw the flying dagger at him and partially distracting his senses to self defense he flew over the fence.
           "After him." One of the men said and Qi Zhouchang who had dodged his own small blade raised his hand and halted them halfway.
          "Don't bother." He said.
          "Why?" The other asked.
          "Xue Jiang, since when were you so manipulable?" Qi Zhouchang asked.
          "What is Milord trying to say?" Xue Jiang replied.
          "If we follow him to the West he'd be leading us away from the woman and in her condition they can not move any faster moreso it is very important to transport her safely from the weather and the recognition if he in deed was afraid to give us any information with the poisoned flying dagger he would have committed suicide." Qi Zhouchang muttered.
          "Pardon me." Xue Jiang said.
          "They couldn't be travelling to the East at this rate as there is only the sea and definitely they couldn't get on a boat any soon as we would round them off not to mention that the conditions there couldn't be favourable, it wouldn't be in the North which is closer to the capital or the West it leaves us with only one direction in which they could seek refuge." Qi Zhouchang remarked.
         "In the South." Xue Jiang alleged.
         "A town that is very close where they can arrive before sundown and one which is quite secure." Qi Zhouchang replied.
         "Putian." Xue Jiang said.
         "Have all our men ride there very fast and let them prepare for her arrival, if we must we are after a Palanquin that is guarded by highly trained people." Qi Zhouchang ordered.
         "Yes Milord." All the others replied in unison.
        "What if the one who fled warns the others that their plan has failed?" Xue Jiang asked.
        "No worries, who says that on our way here I didn't surround the whole mountain Qi Zhouchang replied as he smiled at himself ghastly, "even if he wanted he wouldn't leave it alive unless he wishes to be a corpse sooner or later it would take a miracle for him to live beyond this moment that is." He added.
         Grand Empress Dowager Wu seated in her Chambers the doors were opened and Wan'er walked in.
         "Your Highness." She said bowing her head.
          "Is the mourning Assembly done?" She asked.
         "Only delayed but nonetheless the Grand Secretary is here to see you." Wan'er replied.
         "Han Touzhou?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
         "Yes Milady." Wan'er replied.
         "Show him in." The old woman said and the latter setting foot into the Grand Hall where the old woman was seated he knelt down in front of her and bowed his head while she smiled at him.
         Wan Mei and Wan'er who were present moved out and closing the doors behind themselves the two remained in the room under a temporary silence which Han Touzhou eventually broke himself.
         "Aunt?" He called but she raised his hand towards him signalling for his halt in speech.
         "What is it that you called me?" She asked.
         "Pardon me Your Highness, can't I?" Han Touzhou replied.
         "Under ordinary circumstances I wouldn't lay a finger on you." Grand Empress Dowager Wu reminded him.
         "Then how extraordinary is this one time Your Highness?" Han Touzhou asked.
         "Even I am curious, you might think yourself to be an ally of mine that is because I helped your daughter become an Empress and you are standing here today because of me, however you forsook the loyalty to your old friend residing in the Cold Palace not once did you pay a visit it is normal you are too detached with a loser like her you have a name to keep and a duty to your New Emperor, should I not be very wary even this once?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
        "Your Highness is old and you are right I did take you for an ally, I could kill all your people if I wished but is it not peace for once that we need within these walls, can you not enjoy the final years of your life living without suspicion?" Han Touzhou asked.
         "It is because I am old you say but how can you guarantee that you are not the reason this Palace is deprived of peace in the first place?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
         "The Retired Empress was too curious digging up my past that I applaud her for being so daring, but think about this as well Your Highness, if she ended up there and couldn't drag me along with her there are things that she failed to find." Han Touzhou replied.
          "Hence must I dread you now more than ever or perhaps I should whimper, should I go on my knees and beg for you to pardon my life?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
            "The waters between us have been calm in the very least I wish to keep it that way to your final breath not to mention I can protect your Great Grandson which for you must be a dying wish, you never let down the Late Gaozong Emperor try to embrace the Empress Han as your most formidable successor and please try to understand that I don't intend to estrange myself with you I am merely asking that regardless of these concubine selections you don't misplace your feelings and take what is supposed to be mine to give it to another." Han Touzhou replied.
         "Compared to the Empress Han who is high in heaven is there another woman on earth that is to be equally beckoned for her duty?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
          "At this stage I can consider myself on the verge of senility some twenty to thirty years from now suppose I live that long, as we come closer to our graves as mortals Your Highness, it is natural that we see some things the very youthful don't so yes, even the worst of enemies are to be beckoned with at the most expected times." Han Touzhou replied.
           "Your concern puts me at ease, but I am not afraid as you have in deed said it yourself that I am old." Grand Empress Dowager Wu remarked with a smile on her face.
          "That I know, I am only praying that Your Highness can protect your clan as the Grand Empress Dowager." Han Touzhou replied as he stood up to walk away.
          "You shall remember this conversation the moment you walk out of here Han Touzhou." Grand Empress Dowager Wu said before he went any further.
          "Yet I am certain it will define our relationship sooner or later." Han Touzhou assured her as he walked away.
         The carriage carrying Yang Meizi while Beiyuan sat next to her she appeared to gain consciousness and recognize him beside her.
         "Where am I?" She asked weakly.
         "You passed out Milady." Beiyuan replied while she felt that the movement of the carriage itself she could tell she was in motion.
         "We're already on our way?" She asked.
         "Yes." Beiyuan confirmed.
         "What about Jinglan?" She inquired.
         "He is away running some errands, he felt recovered that he decided to go his way and at this point we can't possibly rely on him." Beiyuan replied and the young woman gathering every bit of strength that she had she sat up.
         "Be careful Milady." Beiyuan reminded her.
         "I am not too delicate." She assured him while sooner he succumbed to her wishes without much protest and slightly opened the window to let in some fresh air.
         "Do all travels feel this uncomfortable with child?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "It couldn't be easy Milady but no need to worry, you shall get used and it won't take long before we arrive." Beiyuan muttered.
          "Alright." Yang Meizi agreed but her heart rather unsettled she couldn't help but feel very uneasy even at that moment.
          Court Lady Cao arriving in the Palace she was escorted by Linxiang up to the entrance of the Main Palace where she was greeted by some Imperial guards.
          "Where is His Majesty?" She asked.
          "In his study." The guards replied that bypassing them, she flung the doors open and rushed in, taking a detour until eventually she managed to arrive at the doors of the Grand building.
          There the Eunuch Deng descending he blocked her path.
         "Excuse me." She said.
         "And where is it that you are going?" Eunuch Deng asked.
         "I am here to see His Majesty." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "Even as his Head Lady you don't have the right to turn up uninvited and you may be to any other part of the Imperial library but whenever His Majesty is inside this one apart from him and Lan He at times, even I am barred from entering.
         "What do you mean to say?" Court Lady Cao asked.
         "We once served the same Mistress?" Eunuch Deng replied.
         "So?" Head Lady Cao replied.
         "Please watch Your every step Milady." Eunuch Deng replied.
          "Your Majesty, please grant me an audience." Court Lady Cao shouted as she fell down onto her knees and she bowed her head.
          Lan He standing at the door the young Ningzong Emperor still drawing a portrait of Yang Meizi was startled that he immediately halted in his work and turned to face the door.
          "Lan He?" He summoned and the latter quickly rushed to his side bowing his head.
          "Say Your order Your Majesty." He replied.
          "What's with the commotion outside?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
          "It's Court Lady Cao and she seems to be requesting for an audience with Your Majesty." Lan He replied.
          "Really?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
          "She seems desperate with the sound of it." Lan He replied as the young Emperor appeared to be picking up an interest in his drawing once again he surprisingly stopped.
         "What's the time?" He suddenly asked.
         "About an hour to midday." Lan He replied.
         "It's been two hours since I started drawing?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
         "Yes." Lan He replied that himself smiling at the painting he was suddenly overwhelmed with rage he ceased the rice paper and then he crumped it up.
         "I have failed to draw those eyes." He remarked as he threw it away.
         "For the seventh time Your Majesty?" Lan He asked.
         "They were the easiest things for me to draw about her, if slowly I could forget them as swift as I used to remember it, could it be my cruel fate that I might be starting to forget her?" Emperor Ningzong replied and Lan He keeping quiet the young man in silence he pushed his chair away and standing up Lan He moved to the side while he in turn walked past him and arrived at the doors.
          Court Lady Cao and Eunuch Deng still facing each other he opened the doors and his eyes meeting everyone outside they quickly went onto their knees and bowed their heads.
          "Greetings Your Majesty." They said in unison.
          "There's so much noise coming from outside that even I can't possibly concentrate on what I am doing." Emperor Ningzong spoke up.
          "Pardon me Your Majesty but I have something to report to you." Court Lady Cao spoke up in a very sombre manner.
          "Get up." Emperor Ningzong said and Court Lady Cao listening she stood upright with her head bowed down.
          "What is it that you wished so much to tell me?" He asked.
          "Your Majesty is benevolent and Court Lady Cao'er I have served you diligently yet I have a mother down south who is very seek and I am told that she is on the verge of death." Court Lady Cao replied.
          "For an issue like that you needn't make a very large tantrum." Emperor Ningzong remarked.
          "Your Majesty what is big and what is small it's all the same to me, everything to do with Your Majesty's well-being it's my own duty for I must be close like your own shadow, if you grant no one can scheme against me in the palace or poison my good relationship with all the others, I shall swiftly settle the issue at home and return into Your Majesty's service once again." Court Lady Cao replied and the Emperor looking at her he sighed lightly with a smirk on his face.
          "If you so wish my loyal subject, I shall detain you no further." Emperor Ningzong muttered.
          "Thank you so much Your Majesty." Court Lady Cao said and together with Linxiang they bowed their heads to him while he turned around to return to the room and the latter smiled at herself ghastly.
            Qing Yi seated in her own Courtyard she was picking some lotus roots and examining them when one of the ladies in waiting rushed through to her presence.
            "Milady." She yelled aloud winning over her attention as she fell down right in front of her feet.
          "What's there for you to look so stressed about?" Qing Yi asked.
          "Court Lady Cao." The young woman replied.
          "What about her?" Court Lady Qing asked.
          "She publicly requested His Majesty that she goes and looks after a certain mother of hers who is very ill in the South." The young woman replied.
          "Did you say mother?" Court Lady Qing Yi asked.
           "Yes." The young woman replied.
          "Why would she apparently make such a bluff when many of the Palace ladies know that she was fostered along with the Retired Head Lady Yang by the Great Dowager Empress Wu under the care of Yang Cairen, so how is it that a girl of the palace would claim to have a mother out of the blue?" Qing Yi asked.
         "Even I don't know but the more I think about it it is very possible that she is rather up to something in the South." The young lady in waiting asserted.
          "A relative, in the South." She muttered to herself when it appeared that something came to her mind.
          "Could it be?" She muttered shocked as she stood up.
          "What is it Milady?" The other asked.
          "Down south there is only one person that she could possibly know." Qing Yi replied.
          "The old Court Lady Yang." The young woman said.
          "Let's go see the Empress immediately." Qing Yi spoke up and standing onto her feet she quickly strode out of the building while she was followed by her train of attendants.
            Qi Zhouchang and his colleagues had ridden the fastest steads and on their way to the South they approached a small road that led to Putian.
           Close to deserted by the travellers in a distance they could see a very small carriage that was being ridden and accompanied with some armed men that were dressed in the same clothes the guards they had faced before at Fuzhou were wearing.
           "It must be them." Qi Zhouchang thought to himself surely and the closer they got they all armed themselves with bows at hand and arrows which they aimed in a distance.
           As they fired at the brown carriage it's guards were alerted instantly and turning around to see a group of strange men charging at them, two withdrew from the area and faced the attackers while another two continued hoping to protect it.
           "Kill everyone." Qi Zhouchang shouted as he unsheathed his sword and with great collision along with his enemies a war ensued violently while four of his fellow assassins penetrated the defense of the other two and continued to ride their horses in the direction of the small carriage that was struggling on the Stony road.
            Qing'er flung the gates of the Empress' Palace and walking through its Courtyard she halted when she found it strangely loud with a couple of ladies in waiting murmuring something at each other.
           "Are you sure?" One asked.
          "I just saw it with my very own eyes." Another replied.
          "What's going on Ange?" Qing Yi asked.
          "Even I don't know Milady." Ange who was standing beside her replied when the others only seeming to notice her presence in their midst they bowed their heads and paved way for her.
          "Pardon us Milady." They requested in unison.
          "You all seemed to be having a very good conversation backbiting Her Highness rather than serving her so I didn't want to come between your leisurely hour." Qing Yi remarked.
          "Please forgive us Milady." Everyone said as they went onto their knees, "it's all nothing but a misunderstanding." One of them claimed.
         "And what here is the misunderstanding?" Qing Yi asked.
          "Only moments before Milady walked in, Court Lady Cao of the Main Palace walked in to see the Empress." She replied and hearing that a worried expression swept over Qing Yi's face.
          "Did you say Court Lady Cao?" She asked.
          "As it is she is the gardens talking to her Highness." The lady replied and Wing Yi not waiting to hear another word she immediately walked around the building while she was accompanied by all the others.
          Empress Han who happened to be sitting in the Courtyard and playing with a very beautiful white cat kept quiet as she ran her fingers over it's head patting it gently and Court Lady Cao quietly knelt down before her.
          "Milady?" Qing Yi interfered breaking the silence but the Empress raising her hand to the young woman she was immediately silenced she humbly folded her hands and bowed down her head.
          "You wished to have an audience with me?" Empress Han asked as she looked at Court Lady Cao.
          "Yes Your Highness." Court Lady Cao muttered.
          "What could it possibly be?" Empress Han asked.
          "If Your Highness asks me I shall gladly remind you of the very words I once told you as well when you inquired on whose side I was." Court Lady Cao replied.
           "Your response I still remember vividly." Empress Han said.
           "About serving His Majesty..." Court Lady Cao muttered.
          "Are you having any shortcomings?" Empress Han asked.
          "No." Court Lady Cao replied.
          "If no then what is the matter?" Empress Han asked.
           As I am told earlier in the day very many people want my former Mistress the previous Court Lady Yang dead." Court Lady Cao replied and the Empress startled she ceased patting her little dog and Qing Yi herself looked up at the confident young woman.
          "Wanting your former mistress dead?" Empress Han reechoed.
          "All plans and schemes and words within the Palace or amongst it's people are never different however I don't intend to keep any secrets from Your Highness when I tell you that there must be something that those people who want her dead dread about her and should that be the case, what is the assurance that they that seek her out of this world shall certainly find her?" Court Lady Cao asked and the Empress staring at her she seemed calm and relaxed.
          "You seem to have someone in mind which is good, you also seem to know so much more that is I can't guarantee that with that tongue of yours you shall last longer within these walls." Empress Han spoke in a rather threatening tone.
           "But you see Your Highness that even that is something that I know, yet I was raised I can certainly outlive many in these walls if I so wish, death isn't something for me in this life to fear and as it may seem that this was a case that you gave someone inadequate please Your Highness, let me demonstrate to you my sincerest loyalties." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "And how does my subject intend to do that?" Empress Han asked.
         "Wishing won't cause your adversaries to die if Your Highness so wishes to protect your Crown then you can trust that amongst all your men and women there is none that can possibly lay a finger on the former Court Lady Yang and let alone harm her or even better kill her apart from me." Court Lady Cao replied and everyone hearing that they were taken aback.
          "You, kill her?" Empress Han asked.
          "If she exists somewhere in this world Your Highness I shall only exist in it as well a shadow, to protect His Majesty I personally believe that all those foolish and fruitless affections are to be disposed off and dealt with, isn't it?" Court Lady Cao asked with a ghastly smile on her face that the Empress returned an equally ghastly gaze at her.
          "Suppose you fail?" Empress Han asked.
          "Your men shall be somewhere lost in the South Your Highness, why not see between me and them who shall take a better strike at your enemy after all between two hands and two legs still each one of us possess Your Highness, there is still one that surpasses the other in skill and in service." Court Lady Cao replied as she bowed her head.
         Walking out of the doors of the Central Palace accompanied by Linxiang the two halted with the gates being shut behind them and the rest of the ladies in waiting dispersing at a distance.
        "How come Milady?" Linxiang asked.
        "What are you so curious about?" Court Lady Cao asked.
         "You confronted the Empress about the death of Lady Yang, why?" Linxiang asked.
          "There's only one person that would dread her as much." Court Lady Cao, "if you were keen enough these signs you must have seen, the Empress was never one to trust me not because I can not be trusted but because of the master I served before." She added.
         "Her Highness is the Empress, what does she have to fear about a Court Lady that was banished from the Palace?" Linxiang asked.
         "If only she were an ordinary Lady even I would rest at ease, but there's nothing more strange than the thought of me having to wonder if even once I knew her too well." Court Lady Cao replied as the two walked hand in hand.
        "Then does Milady choose to ally with the Empress?" Linxiang asked.
          "Suppose I did?" Court Lady Cao asked, "I couldn't unless there was something that the Empress had that I wanted but knowing most importantly that I am not too easy a person, if I can cause her to trust me it is important that I also cause her to learn to fear me the same." She added.
         "I don't understand." Linxiang muttered.
          "The Empress has everything to make sure that she keeps the closest eye on me and watch out for my every mood but indirectly it should be sufficient a warning that even if she is the one person that is jeopardizing the very existence of His Majesty I won't spare her." Court Lady Cao asked.
          "Devotion and caution she surely would understand only one or the other." Linxiang said as they continued their way.   
          "What should we do about Her Your Highness?" Qing Yi asked but the Empress keeping quiet and thinking about the words that Court Lady Cao had Said to her she sighed deeply.
          "Nothing." She muttered.
          "Your Highness seems worried." Qing Yi asked.
          "It seems rather hard to judge if it's merely a bluff or not but at this point I don't know which is scarier than the other, the Court Lady that is soon to deliver and this one serving His Majesty." Empress Han replied.
          "Your Highness couldn't possibly believe a word that she has said." Qing Yi remarked.
          "And why is that?" Empress Han asked.
          "She grew up with the Retired Court Lady and they were all too close since childhood even better than blood sisters theirs is a story so we'll known throughout the palace." Qing Yi replied.
         "Yet loyalties can change people." Empress Han pointed out.
          "I only know our men will do as they were asked to do." Qing Yi defended.
          "Then would she give her head to me or lie about it, would she appear as confident unless she hadn't foreseen this far?" Empress Han asked.
         "Pardon me Your Highness." Qing Yi said.
         "No." Empress Han said.
         "Is there anything that I should do?" Qing Yi asked.
          "She's just as deadly I can not spare the young snake and just kill it's mother." Empress Han replied and hearing this Qing Yi smiled.
           "Yes Your Highness." She muttered.
           "If it is true that she knows the whereabouts of Yang Meizi much better than we, then she'll do the honours of leading us to her." The Empress asserted as she smiled at herself ghastly.
             Qi Zhouchang and his men had succeeded in rounding off the carriage and approaching the woods the place had never been more desolate and dark.
            The rider halted and unsheathed his sword while the assassins drawing their bows and arrows fired at the young guards of the convoy they fell down dead while another group descending from their horses they entirely surrounded the carriage that hardly moved.
          One of Qi Zhouchang's close men held the door and opening it he stared inside to see nothing he was forced to pull off his mask and turn to his master who was curiously waiting for his answer.
          "There's nothing Milord." He informed them all while everyone gasped and uncertain what he had heard the fairly old man got down from his horse and moved closer to see for himself.
          "In deed a glimpse into the carriage it was just as empty as his subordinate had claimed.
          "How come?" He asked himself as he smacked his fists on the wooden chariot.
           "Could it be that they knew we were coming?" One of them asked and Qi Zhouchang thinking about it he seemed to recall everything that had happened.
          "The survivor." He mentioned.
          "How so?" Another asked.
          "There's no other way someone would have thought on such terms unless they knew me well enough so certainly they knew about our arrival." Qi Zhouchang replied and studying the faces of everyone else for a moment puzzled he turned around. 
            "If we don't kill the woman and her child it is without a doubt that we are dead." One person cautioned.
            "I am not so foolish I know that." Qi Zhouchang replied.
            "Yet what is the way forward, at this rate Putian was our own clue but with it only ending up a vain pursuit the world is a very large one for us we couldn't turn it upside one for one woman and a child it's very unfortunate but I must say this, surely we have been tricked thoroughly and there's not a place for us to begin a from." Another remarked.
           The carriage carrying Yang Meizi happened to stop by another very small Hamlet and while they travelled along the river Beiyuan looked inside and noticed that his mistress was sweating profusely.
           "Are you alright Milady?" He inquired caringly.
          "Let us stop here for now." Yang Meizi replied.
          "We haven't even arrived at our destination." Beiyuan replied.
           "I can't take it anymore as I am tired of the carriage." Yang Meizi protested as she breathed heavily her condition seemed much worse.
          "We are only about an hour's ride away." Beiyuan insisted.
          "Please." Yang Meizi declined and he unwillingly felt like giving in.
          "But Milady?" He protested once again.
          "I can hardly take it now if you so wish to prove to me your loyalty then you must listen to what I have to tell you and afterwards you must respond accordingly." Yang Meizi lightly scolded.
          "Leave it to me." Beiyuan said as he turned around and got out of it.
          "What's the matter?" Jinglan asked.
          "She won't make it and the pain is unbearable." Beiyuan replied and all of a sudden there was a loud cry that came from within the carriage the two men hurriedly moved up to it's door and opening it there they looked down at the dump cushion that was dripping with water.
          "The contractions have began." Jinglan muttered.
          "Contractions?" Beiyuan asked.
          "Her water is broken it could therefore mean only one thing right now." Jinglan replied.
          "It couldn't possibly be?" Beiyuan asked and the darkening sky above them lightning streaked across it while it was shortly followed by the loud sound of thunder.
           "It's coming out soon." Jinglan assured him and that very instant worried the men guarding one another looked at the carriage.
          "Can none of us hold her?" Beiyuan asked.
          "We must bear her until she is safe where she can break free." Jinglan replied.
          "Then how is it that we can contact the capital at this rate, if anything goes wrong we couldn't possibly be safe." Beiyuan whispered.
          "Is she not your Lady?" Jinglan asked.
          "She is." Beiyuan replied.
          "At the very least you must guard her with your life but you can rest assured I can look after her, you should get to Nanping before it's too late to gate more help." Jinglan replied.
          "But I can never leave Milady's side." Beiyuan reminded him.
          "They do not know me but they know you if it is to believe a stranger they'll certainly doubt me but should you go they'll listen lest you put the life of your very mistress under compromise." Jinglan said.
         "Should anything happen to her, even if I must travel to the ends of the World I'll hunt you down and kill you myself." Beiyuan promised.
         The sky roaring again with thunder the two men looked inside yet another time at Yang Meizi who was in unbearable pain.
         "It's too much." She pleaded.
         "We'll bear your grace to a house." Beiyuan assured her and ready the two men moved inside.
         "There's still hours before sunset Milady." Linxiang said as she helped her mistress up the horse.
         "Someone must take care of things in the palace while I am away." Court Lady Cao replied as she looked down at her while she seemed worried over her mistress' welfare.
         "Don't worry, I can take good care of myself." Court Lady Cao replied.
          "What about the Empress' men?" Linxiang inquired.
          "They aren't too much for me to handle, at the very least the mere fact that they shall come after me is good enough because then and only then shall I put her blood on her hands." Court Lady Cao replied.
           "Don't worry Milady, I'll wait for your return and take care of things in the palace while you are away." Linxiang promised.
           "Then do me a favour." Court Lady Cao muttered. 
           "Just give me your order." Linxiang requested.
           "If you must protect His Majesty with all your life." Court Lady Cao ordered.
          "Yes." Linxiang replied and at that moment tightening her grip over the horse's reins, the young woman set out riding out of the palace and quickly passing by the walls at the top Qing Yi watched her going in a distance and smiled at herself ghastly before turning around to walk away.
          The time already flying darkness was settling over the small Hamlet and having secured a room for themselves in a small cottage, there was a midwife that was already working with her and Jinglan was pacing around outside.
          Looking at her there was worry on her face and instantly the midwife stood up and opened the door stepping outside for a moment.
          Upon seeing her, Jinglan rushed over to her side.
          "What's the condition?" He asked.
          "It's been hours and she is like this?" The midwife inquired.
          "Yes." Jinglan replied.
          "For a woman with her water broken the child was supposed to be out by now." The midwife remarked
          "What are you trying to say?" Jinglan asked.
          "It's abnormal and the contractions coming and going the longer she is in this mood it could kill her and yet without a sign of blood I can't assert that she will miscarry however it's possible though that if the condition is really bad, she might have a difficult delivery." The midwife replied.     
          "Is that the worst there could possibly happen?" Jinglan asked.
          "It's also possible that both the child and the mother could die." The midwife replied bluntly and Jinglan felt shattered for a moment quiet he couldn't believe what he had heard.
         "Milord?" The woman called him while he quickly turned and looked her in the eye ceasing her by the shoulders firmly.
          "You are the best midwife that we heard in this Hamlet by far, whatever it takes please save both the mother and the child." He requested.
          "I'll certainly do what I possibly can." The woman said.
          "Do everything you can." Jinglan said desperately and seemingly understanding his situation, the woman not replying she turned around and opened the door closing it as she got inside.
           "There's so much pain." Yang Meizi suddenly cried and the woman came closer to her.
           "What's going on?" She asked. 
           "I don't know but I feel it coming out." Yang Meizi replied and at that moment the woman lifting part of the sheets she looked inside and looking back out she seemed surprised.
           "I see a head." She said and Yang Meizi looking around she saw a small piece of cloth lying around she ceased it and then put it in her mouth biting at it.
          "Take a deep breath Milady." The woman said as she rushed over and picked a couple of wet towels.
           "You can now push." She said and Yang Meizi complied while the sky reacting violently on the outside the thunder only louder surprised everyone including the guards outside with Jinglan.
         Eventually, it started to drizzle all of a sudden and the mild drizzle further erupted into a heavy downpour that instant.
          Already at Nanping, Beiyuan stood under a shed and raising his hand up to the rain he felt it's droplets falling on him.
         His heart uneasy for a moment the area was close to deserted with the nearest houses about some three kilometres from the city square.
          Shortly after he could see a couple of steeds and hooded riders approaching him eventually the five in number halted in front of him and studying their silhouettes he seemed to understand at once that even with the attention that they had fixed on him, they surely wanted to have a word with him.
          "So you sent the message?" He heard a surprisingly feminine voice.
           "Yes." He replied confidently and the foremost rider with her hands she lifted the hood hanging over her face and looked him in the eye while he recalled that to be a much too familiar face the first scene that came to mind was the time she and Yang Meizi had rescued them from the mine.
          "You?" He muttered unable to believe it but Court Lady Cao took it as though he was being rather rude.
          "Is that all you can say?" She asked.
          He quickly fell to his knees that she seemed remarkably surprised as he bowed down and kowtowed to her.
         "Pardon me Milady." He Said.
         "Do you know me?" Court Lady Cao asked.
          "I do serve Milady and I have heard a lot I believe about you, I am as youthful there's no way these eyes of mine have lied to me being able to see you once again after all those years." Beiyuan replied.
          "Milady?" Nuwa asked.
          "The former Court Lady Yang." Beiyuan replied and hearing this Court Lady Cao inwardly happy she didn't let it show wearing a rather surprised expression.
           "Where is she, I was told that you were in trouble." Court Lady Cao asked.
          "Except that we didn't make it here as planned lagging behind only an hour's ride from here you'll reach the Hamlet otherwise Milady's condition doesn't allow her to come so far as she is a bit unwell." Beiyuan replied.
          "The storm is too tough." Court Lady Cao said.
          "We can travel once the rain stops." Beiyuan said.
          "Alright." Court Lady Cao replied and the six moved into the small cottage not looking behind in a distance where a small hedge was a stranger stood veiled from head to toe the only exposed part of them being the eyes.
          "Only an hour's ride away?" He whispered to himself as he quickly stood up and left the place.
           "Push my lady, I can already see the hands." The midwife said and Yang Meizi tightly holding onto the quilt on which she was seated she took a deep breath and gathered her breath eventually pushing once again while he sobs partially escaped the room and Jinglan on the outside tried hard to contain himself while the falling downpour did little to cover her cries.
          The Palace itself was rowdy and the Grand Empress Dowager Wu kneeling in front of the large Golden Buddha in the temple of the Cifu Palace a powerful wind prevailed and extinguished all the candles Wan Mei and Wan'er quickly rushed over to try and relight them.
          "The storm has been going on for so long." Grand Empress Dowager Wu said.
         "It seems so." Wan Mei replied.
         "And what has the Imperial observatory had to say?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
         "The North Star has been emerging brilliant these days." Wan Mei replied.
         "What about the Emperor?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu asked.
         "His Majesty is silent but others claim that this was the same thing that happened twenty five years ago." Wan'er replied and all the candles alight once again the old woman put her hands together.
          "Venus rises above the Emperor's star." She muttered, "once that old shaman told me the Sovereign star has set foot in the Palace but who could possibly put the heavens through so much trouble, whose cries are resounded with thunder, whose eyes reflect the lightning, such remarkable yet dark strength is unlike any that these eyes of mine have ever seen." She went ahead to say.
         "Impossible Your Highness." Wan Mei said.
         "I can feel all that my days have so soon come to an end." Grand Empress Dowager Wu uttered and bowing her head to the statue she raised it and stared at it one more time discontent.
          The fleeing stranger came up to a large jujube tree where stood a man who wore a dark hat over his head looking ahead at another small cluster of houses.
          "Where are they?" He asked.
          "A Hamlet an hour's ride away, there's only one such favourable settlement." The man replied.
           "And the Court Lady?" He asked.
           "Inside a small cottage altogether, we can have the others deal with her." The man replied.
           "Not too soon." The man replied, "the woman and the child are the ones that must be dealt with first." He added turning around and revealing himself to the assassin.
          "But Milord, we had the orders to get rid of her as well." He said.
          "You protest against my order?" He asked.
          "No." The man replied.
          "Then do as I say." He demanded, "the Empress, her Court Lady, none of them are this close to understanding what lays ahead of them but take a look at me yourself, if Her Highness asks then I shall speak up." He added.
          "Yes Sir." The man replied and quickly turning around he rushed away leaving the fairly looking young man staring up at the sky he felt the rain falling on his face and lightning streaking across yet again illuminated his flawless skin he couldn't help it but sigh.
           "Is this Heaven's will?" He asked himself.
           "Milady, push, the child is almost out." The midwife said and with a cloth she cleaned out the blood while Yang Meizi growing weak the unbearable pain only made the experience very trying the fabric in her mouth fell down.
          "How far?" She asked gasping for air.
          "It's almost done Milady." The midwife replied and at that very moment her eyes widened nearly popping out which Yang Meizi noticed by how taken aback the woman seemed.
          "What's wrong with my child?" She asked.
          "Push Ma'am." The midwife said, "just one last final push." She pestered her and gritting her teeth together yet again she tightly held onto the quilt and after some broken breaths she took a deep final one with all her might in her body channelled to the very child she was expelling she pushed one final time while the heavens only seemed to work things through with her coincidentally the star gazing machine at the Imperial observatory started shaking violently with the wind and parts of it collapsed while the Imperial astrologers frightened only moved aside unable to handle the condition.
          "It's out." The midwife announced shortly being followed by the loud cries of a child everyone of the people outside the door anxiously waiting were instantly set to ease as the child was carried up into the mother's sight she seemed very shocked.
           "Impossible." One of the astrologers said while the clouds at remarkable speed in a matter of minutes scattered revealing a large full moon and right next to it two stars the one on top shining much brighter than the one below he immediately fell down to his feet.
            "Your Eminence." His colleagues and apprentices called to him as they tried to help him up onto his feet.
           "Impossible." He persistently muttered but the other's hardly making out what he had said one of them looked at the sky as well and noticed what it was that had alarmed him.
           "Is that Venus?" He asked pointing in a distance and the brilliant star hovering close to the moon everyone else stared as well.
          "Above the Emperor's star." They discussed amongst themselves while their chief only kept quiet.
          "Truly chaotic." One muttered at the hilltop the very young man that had sent the assassins seemed to notice it as well he's eyes started to tremble with fear.