DANGEROUS AFFAIRS

"You've come to see me?" She asked.
          "Why else would I be in the Central Palace Your Highness?" Lady Yang replied with a smile on her face as she bowed her head.
          "I see you are carrying the trunk, did you love my gift?" The Empress asked.
          "You must have heard the good news as well Your Highness both about the Grand Empress Dowager and then me but I am here to return this attire to Your Highness and I ask you to save it because the one person that shall be wearing it soon will be me but not for the Grand Empress Dowager's funeral but yours Your Highness." Lady Yang brazenly asserted and the Empress responded with a smile.
          "I see that you are with child it isn't healthy to stand for so long so please have a seat." Empress Han said as she signalled for her the empty stool in front of her which the young woman lowered herself gracefully in while the attendants accorded them some privacy.
           "Her Highness died of poisoning." Yang Jieyu said.
          "So what?" Empress Han inquired.
          "There's only one person between us that would want her dead more than anything." Yang Jieyu replied.
          "That's not sufficient enough to get you to point fingers at me." Empress Han replied.
          "I didn't accuse anyone." Yang Jieyu said.
          "You came to inform me about how you'll bring the culprit to light, or you're here to threaten me that it's something that you know, suppose it's the latter what could you do to prove it?" Empress Han inquired.
           "Are you really curious Your Highness?" Yang Jieyu asked.
          "I am merely inquiring." Empress Han responded.
          "His Majesty can not take it in and you are right I have nothing to prove, suppose I did so His Majesty would suffer and blame himself for marrying his great grandmother's murderer these are already wounds too deep I don't intend on scraping them." Yang Jieyu replied.
            "You are too thoughtful but I am sure that even though as a secondary wife you worry for him much more than I do." Empress Han said but Yang Jieyu kept silent.
            "First it was Zhao Ruyu and now the Grand Empress Dowager, who are you going to take next?" Yang Jieyu asked.
            "Everyone you love." Empress Han replied as she placed her hand on the table in front of her, "I am sure that you have seen this ring." She added.
            "It belonged to Her Highness." Yang Jieyu responded.
            "The Empress Zhangxian of the Liu Clan as Sovereign regent in the reign of the Renzong Emperor ushered our Empire of women and rumour had it she intended on a number of occasions to depose her son the Emperor and become the second female Dasheng in the History of our race, after her passing the Empress Cao inherited it and only briefly but significantly she delivered it to her daughter in law the Empress Gao who handed it down to the Empress Xiang then to Meng until the Jinkang whence Wu embraced it skipping the hands Li it has landed into mine." Empress Han said.
            "Why are you telling me this?" Yang Jieyu inquired.
            "Once you told me that you will always live a twisted life until the day that you take my seat for yourself but you see I desired to remind you briefly that  there's been a number of powerful Empresses in the dynasty but none of them even got the chance to wear it yet of all these the blessed are sufficient enough to possess it in every regime it identifies it's wearer as the most powerful woman in the world, that's what gives this ring meaning, it's wearer." Empress Han replied.
            "I don't need a ring Your Highness to prove that I can be the most powerful woman in this Dynasty." Yang Jieyu responded furiously.
           "None of us need it." Empress Han said with a smile as she stared at her eyes that were burning with fury, "this ring needs us because unlike crowns and thrones men inherit, it's our prestige, our name, our strength and our honour." She added and Yang Jieyu standing up she looked down on her while the young woman looked at her.
            "Thank you for your kind advice Your Highness." She said.
            "As it is you are bearing with yourself the Imperial seed I hope you can look after yourself very well and don't exhaust yourself so much Jieyu." Empress Han remarked.
           "The forest was always shrinking but the trees therein always kept voting for the axe as it's handle being made of wood they were convinced it was one of them." Lady Yang said.
            "Your message is?" Empress Han asked
            "Don't worry about me Your Highness and be careful, as it is the nation needs a Crown Prince sooner or later it should suit your concern." Yang Jieyu replied.
            "I see." Empress Han muttered.
            "I shall tell you once again Your Highness as I told you before, even if you gathered the voices of all the men in the world, their plea could never eclipse my whisper." Yang Jieyu said.
            Standing up she bowed her head and turned around to walk out of the room.
        Princess Qi'an seated in her room Lanhui walked in.
       "His Excellency Minister Cao is requesting to have an audience with Your Highness." She informed him.
       "Minister Cao who worked for my mother?" She asked.
       "Yes." Lanhui replied and the young woman surprised she consented to him being shown in and the old man presented himself before her.
         "You are here to see me I hear." She said.
         "Your Highness must be troubled I was merely seeking to offer you some counsel." Minister Cao replied.
         "Please have a seat." She said and he complied.
         "Forgive me for coming a bit late Your Highness." He muttered.
         "It's nothing." Princess Qi'an said.
         "I am here on behalf of Lady Cao." Minister Cao said.
          "Lady Cao?" She asked
          "On the orders of Her Highness the Retired Empress I consented to adopt her." He said and the Imperial Princess's eyes lit up with so much excitement that she leaned her hands on the table and held his.
           "Did you say Her Highness?" She asked.
           "Yes." Minister Cao confirmed and at once Princess Qi'an sighed with so much relief her eyes became teary at that very moment.
           "I haven't seen her in ages how thin she must be, the Cold Palace isn't so lovely a place itself she must have seen nothing but darkness for the past three years." She muttered.
          "I regret that she must have lived an awful life." Minister Cao said.
          "But Lady Cao, how?" She inquired.
          "Reliably Lady Yang was the mastermind behind sending her Highness to the Cold Palace and consequently she orchestrated it all from the beginning and advised the Late Grand Empress reliably." Master Cao responded.
           "Lady Cao was once in her service." Princess Qi'an muttered.
           "The reality of life is that there's nothing much worse than a good friendship having turned bitter." Minister Cao replied, "Her Highness can not leave the cold Palace unless she has a hand in the harem and the Inner Court to move the pieces for her that's why we took our gamble on Lady Cao." He added.
            "The Palace is already congested with rumours that the Empress Han will reserve all the power from now on and the Empress Dowager Xie wouldn't possibly curtail her influence she's an unreliable piece in the game." Princess Qi'an confessed.
             "That's why we must help Lady Cao return to the Palace one way or another as it's our last resort and it's for our own good otherwise we wouldn't equally be in favour of having the Balance of Power shift into the hands of Lady Yang and now that she's become a Jieyu we are worried all the more." Minister Cao said.
            "Lady Cao told me that the only thing we could do for her is get His Majesty to go to Xuanmiao Temple but given everything that has transpired I don't know what I should do or how I could probably convince him into welcoming this idea that this is the most trying point I am at right now." Princess Qi'an confessed.
           "Lady Cao hoped that it would be so hence she sent me to offer some advice to Your Highness that might be helpful." Minister Cao said as he stretched his hand into his sleeve and pulling out an envelope, he slid it across the temple and delivered it to the Princess who took it up and opened it to read it's contents.
          "What is it?" She asked.
          "Xuanmiao Temple is a famous sight in the province and now that the Grand Empress Dowager has passed having formerly been very close with her the Emperor must be heartbroken, some prayers would do but since it's the mourning season it would be best that he made a pilgrimage to pray for Her Highness soul." Minister Cao replied.
           "Don't worry." Princess Qi'an said, "with this I shall definitely convince him." She asserted confidently.
           "I hope that things work out well." He said to her as he stood up from where he was seated and bowing his head to her he withdrew from the room.
           "Lanhui?" She called and the young woman immediately rushed into her presence.
           "Yes Your Highness?" She Said.
           "Make preparations immediately, I shall head to the Palace." She said as she stood up from where she was seated and she walked out of the room at once while the young Lady followed.
          Emperor Ningzong seated in the throne room with all the Ministers, the Grand Chancellor Zhao Zizhi eagerly looked at him in his silence while everyone tried to keep themselves from saying a word.
          "You all must have heard by now." He muttered.
         "Concerning the passing of the Grand Empress Dowager Your Majesty, we are deeply sorry for your loss we offer our condolences." He Said.
         "The Grand Empress was truly sagacious and she went out of her way to help a number of people I can't forget that in crisis she's been there for this country." Emperor Ningzong remarked.
        "This raises the issue of the funeral rites Your Majesty." Han Touzhou said.
        "As you are aware it wasn't so long ago that we concluded the Late Emperor's mourning rites." Emperor Ningzong said and Han Touzhou stepping out he stood in the middle of the hall.
         "If I may Your Majesty." He requested.
         "Please proceed." Emperor Ningzong said.
         "Her Grand Highness was truly remarkable and this concerns the reputation of the Imperial family, we have already spent too much on the mourning rites of the Late Emperor this time round I was proposing that we simplify them and we cut on their costs." He responded and Shi Miyuan listening along with the Minister of Rites, the Vice Minister of Personnel were all alarmed.
         "Really?" Emperor Ningzong asked when another of Zhao Ruyu's former supporters Liu Guangzhu stepped out in his simple blue robes and he honoured the Majesty.
         "It can not be so Your Majesty." He said.
         "How is it that you from a regional post are qualified...?" Han Touzhou viciously censured the fairly old man but the Emperor raising his hand he halted him.
          "It is a national matter and I am an Emperor that is much unlike others before me, we speak for the government and we speak for the people rather than just turning up here dressed in Imperial robes as Courtiers to remain silent." Emperor Ningzong said.
          "If Your Majesty wills it." Han Touzhou said.
          "You speak up against the left Chancellor?" The Emperor asked Minister Liu.
         "Your Majesty, even the Renzong Emperor in his most frugal nature set a grand funeral for the Empress Zhangxian he showed the world the most harmonious and filial monarch they had seen, when the question comes to Imperial relatives Your Majesty, rank defines them all but Sire the Left Chancellor speaks with contempt in a model that is not in accordance with our virtues." Liu Guangzhu replied.
          "What's Your opinion?" Han Touzhou asked.
          "Had it been the Empress Han in the Grand Dowager's place would we have laid His Majesty's most legitimate wife like any other common woman?" He asked and Han Touzhou fell silent while the Emperor looked at him.
          "We've already laid the Late Retired Emperor to rest." Han Touzhou defended.
          "Does it really matter Your Majesty as the Grand Empress Dowager was truly Sagacious so you have said she has instilled order and stability to the nation in times of crisis not to mention she crushed the Empress Mother's coup and assured your safe ascension to the throne free of immense bloodshed it becomes an issue that concerns the reputation of the Imperial family as well.
         If Your Majesty fails to honour it and take it lightly the people will say that Your Majesty lacks in filial piety you shall have disgraced the late Gaozong Emperor my Sire and at the very worst oh Great father the Grand Empress Dowager shall have been insulted as a petty old woman in the eyes of many." Minister Liu replied.
         "I see." Emperor Ningzong remarked.
         "He is right when he says so Sire and there's no precedent in the Dynasty that allows us to violate the funeral rites to suit our own financial adjustments since the Grand Empress represented an institution that is long standing and the Inner Court at that, she can not be belittled lest the people shall question Your Majesty's judgement." Grand Chancellor Zhao Zizhi remarked.
         "I'll take it that this issue is resolved and the Ministry of Rites shall oversee all the necessary preparations." Emperor Ningzong said as he stood up and walked out of the room.
          The Courtiers descending from the Hall the Grand Chancellor was intercepted by Han Touzhou.
          "Your Excellency." He said to him.
          "You are here to see me?" Zhao Zizhi asked.
          "Surely." Han Touzhou replied.
          "It must have been a tough assembly." He pointed out.
          "I Han Touzhou I'm so used to remonstration but I don't let others get to me." He asserted.
          "How admirable!" Zhao Zizhi exclaimed.
          "Nonetheless, I have had my way you must have seen, a full year's mourning isn't so excessive." He muttered.
           "His Majesty is benevolent surely he can't forget his wonderful Great Grandmother who saw him through a number of moments that were both trying and not, it's better this way that wise counsel could prevent him for mishandling the affairs of state and seek the scrutiny of the majority." Zhao Zizhi replied as they each walked gracefully.
           "You were rather silent?" Han Touzhou pointed out.
           "Your Excellency must have heard that shallow waters are loudest and the deepest waters are silent." Zhao Zizhi responded.
          "I must be shallow in deed." Han Touzhou confessed.
          "You can strive to get as high but even a position that you might hold but it doesn't suit your heart's desires, others shall hate you for it and naturally they shall fight you for it, it's safer to let them brew hostilities and fight amongst each other however when you interfere in the fight you give them a reason to gang up on you and fight you not because they hate each other less but simply because you are a common enemy that they must vanquish." Zhao Zizhi replied and Han Touzhou falling silent he studied the young man who smiled at him and patted his shoulder.
           "I now see why it is so that everyone was inclined to have you as the Grand Chancellor." Han Touzhou pointed out.
           "Your Excellency is merely flattering me." He responded.
           "People like you are very hard to come around." Han Touzhou confessed.
          "But you are as remarkable aren't you, after all, not everyone can run the state from the position that you hold it requires years of experience and people who are most reliable." Zhao Zizhi remarked as he turned around and left him there silently.
           Lady Yang kneeling in front of the Grand Empress Dowager Wu's coffin she recalled the last conversation that she'd shared with her.
          "I am too old you must promise me this that you shall look after Kuo'er for me." She'd said.
           "His Majesty needs you Your Highness, I need you too, we need you with the Palace and the Great Song..." She'd pleaded
            "You shall make a Great Empress but for this you must forgive me my dear." Grand Empress Dowager Wu had spoken to her
            "No." Lady Yang refused.
            "Forgive me for your mother, your childhood, forgive me my dear." She'd said and recalling this the Lady Yang shed a tear.
         "Please calm down Ma'am." Beiyuan mutters to her.
         "I can clearly recall how it was that she was looking at me, her eyes shone brighter than anything even in her final hours, how could the Empress be so cruel?" She asked herself.
          "Something came up in the Daily assembly." He said to her.
          "What is it?" Lady Yang asked.
          "My Jieyu, Han Touzhou talked about simplifying the rituals and cutting down the expenses but he was heavily censured and reprimanded by Minister Liu." Beiyuan replied.
         "First they get rid of the Empress and now they mean to go up against her proper final rituals they are in deed so brazen." Yang Jieyu said.
         "But the issue was resolved Ma'am, they shall accord her a full year of mourning." Beiyuan said.
          "Her Grand Highness shall never rest in peace until we have gotten rid of all of them." Yang Jieyu said.
          "I agree Ma'am." Beiyuan muttered when Manyin approached her.
          "Eunuch Gong is here to see you Ma'am." She said.
         "Is it so?" Yang Jieyu asked.
         "He is delivering the Emperor's Edict to create you a Jieyu." Beiyuan replied.
          "Then I shall have a word with him." She said as she stood up from where she was kneeling and walking up to a side Chamber, the door was opened to her and walking through it, she halted in front of him while he bowed his head to her.
          "Ma'am?" he said.
          "It's been hard trying to get to have a word with you." Yang Jieyu said.
          "I am always busy Ma'am and the Empress always has a heavy hand she's looking to me to ease her burden." Eunuch Gong replied and Yang Jieyu smiling she looked at the Edict that he was holding.
           "You don't need to read it as Her Highness must be happy as well with the Grand Empress Dowager's passing surely you must have passed by to confirm the distraught occasion you must be tired having travelled a long way." Yang Jieyu said.
           "You wouldn't understand Her Highness' capabilities sooner or later the Palace for you Ma'am might be very lonely." Eunuch Gong said.
           "Then I suppose I can confide in you what I am thinking that is if you aren't afraid to hear?" Yang Jieyu asked and the fairly young man moving about he sat down.
           "If it's going to be a rather long talk it wouldn't really hurt for us to sit down would it?" He asked and Yang Jieyu taking the seat in front of him he looked her in the eye.
          "You are an influential Eunuch within this Palace Sir, you served the Retired Empress Li and now Her Highness the Empress I was hoping that I too could share in the company that you are serving." Yang Jieyu muttered.
           "And as though I would forsake the Empress?" Eunuch Gong asked.
           "Slowly the tide in the harem will change and along with it the tables shall turn, isn't it better for you to be safe than sorry?" Yang Jieyu inquired.   
           "There's no safety that you can guarantee that I can not find in the Empress." He expressed his opinion.
           "You must trust her so much to be too loyal." Yang Jieyu remarked.
           "As it may so seem yes, as it is as well right now that I am speaking to you she has everything and here you are with nothing." Eunuch Gong said.
          "Can the same be said for the Empress, could she possibly trust you that much?" Yang Jieyu asked.
          "What are you trying to imply?" He asked.
          "You tell me Eunuch Gong, I seem to be confident that you shall fulfill my greatest cause." Lady Yang said with a ghastly smile on her face.
          "Even if you say anything else, don't waste your breath as I shall not abandon the Empress." He assured her as he stood up and bowed his head to her, "we shall take our leave as it is there's more urgent need for us in the Central Palace than in this Cifu Palace." He pointed out as he turned his back on her and walked out of the room Lady Yang smiled at him ghastly.
          "We'll see." She said to herself joyously, "we'll see if Her Highness shall surely see nothing." She swore with contempt.
           Emperor Ningzong taking a walk towards the Cifu Palace he happened to meet his sister on top of the bridge that hung over the Imperial pond.
          "Your Majesty." She greeted him.
          "Qi'an'er he said surprised that he rushed to her and pulling her into his grip he embraced her into a very tight hug?
          "I heard about what happened." She said and pulling from his embrace she looked him in the eye.
         "Her Grand Highness..." He couldn't bring himself to saying it.
          "It is alright." She comforted him.
          "I understand that she was already too old but perhaps I really am being too selfish, I am hurting knowing that I can not see her again." He muttered.
          "Perhaps you need some time away from the Palace." Princess Qi'an said.
           "It's her mourning period." Emperor Ningzong said.
           "I understand that very well Your Majesty but if you can not keep up with a very good or lively mood the state can not proceed without you you need to understand what it is that Her Highness would have wanted for you." Princess Qi'an remarked.
          "Where could I go?" He asked.
          "There's a temple in Xuanmiao and I heard that they are very good Your Majesty, even if you spent a night reading some sutras Your Majesty, I trust that you shall seek the spiritual comfort and enlightenment that you are hoping for and that way I trust that it might not take away your pain but it shall surely ease the burden that is on your shoulders." Princess Qi'an assured him and he seemed to take her suggestion into consideration.
          "I'll see." He said while she smiled at him.
          "You should be stronger now more than ever Your Majesty, for Her Grand Highness, you must remain strong." She said to him calmly while he seemed to lessen his stress over the issue a little bit.
        Eunuch Gong walked up to the Empress and he bowed his head.
         "It took you long enough." She said.
         "I am sorry that something came up Your Highness." He replied while she smiled at him.
         "How is it?" The Empress asked.
         "She received the Edict Your Highness but she was still grief stricken from the death of the Grand Empress Dowager that it was very clear in her eyes." Eunuch Gong replied.
          "She has become a Jieyu so we can't be lax as well, the mourning period shall be long and I heard that she is with child she is one lucky hell of a bitch." The Empress remarked.
           "But she can not stand anymore we must cease this opportunity to cut her out at the root." Eunuch Gong reminded the Empress.
           "I am worried for her supporters they must be preoccupied as it is that she is a very reckless character we must get rid of the baby in secret before it becomes to us a very big problem." Empress Han said.
          "Your Highness appears to have something in mind.
          "I seem to have loved the effect that Purslane had on the ladies in her residence before we must get her to ingest it when she least expects it." Empress Han said.
           "You can always leave that to me Your Highness." Eunuch Gong said and bowing his head to her he withdrew from the room.
           "You know what's harder that getting a child Jieyu, keeping it." She said to herself as she smiled ghastly.
          "I need to speak to Shi Miyuan." Yang Jieyu said, "along with him I also need to have an audience with Beiyuan." She added.
          "Yes Ma'am." Manyin and Xiaoyang replied as they withdrew from her room at once.
              Shi Miyuan was alone in his room when Dong Hua walked in.
          "Your Highness?" He greeted him.
          "What's the matter?" he asked.
          "The Jieyu Yang seeks an audience with you." Dong Hua replied.
         "Tell her that she can forget it." Shi Miyuan muttered.
         "She insists that it's urgent." Dong Hua insisted with the young man and hesitantly, at dusk he set out from his residence in secret while Beiyuan escorting Yang Jieyu, the two met face to face in a room within Lanling Court and they were each excused by their Attendants.
          "You wished to see me Ma'am?" Shi Miyuan asked.
          "Your Highness." She greeted him while he returned the salutation with silence and much of a frown on his face.
          "You don't seem to be in a good mood." She pointed out.
         "Trust that I am well Ma'am, we wouldn't ant people to think otherwise if they see us in secret." Shi Miyuan said.
           "I understand that you are ashamed whatever is past between us can always be buried for the good of everyone else." Yang Jieyu remarked.
           "You seem to have gone over it well enough." Shi Miyuan pointed out.
           "I am the Emperor's favourite and as you might have heard I am bearing his son soon enough and I know that there are a number of people that want me dead at this particular hour in which the Empress is inclusive." Yang Jieyu pointed out.
             "You invited me here to tell me about your tragic love story and family ties?" Shi Miyuan inquired.
             "The Balance of power within the harem and the Imperial Court is shifting everyday and you would do well to understand in whose favour it appears to be, I want to get rid of Han Touzhou's regime but for that to happen I need to establish an order that shall replace them with ease." Yang Jieyu emphasized.
             "And you Ma'am are in love with my talent?" Shi Miyuan inquired.
         "Come together with me." Yang Jieyu Said.
         "No." Shi Miyuan replied.
         "Do you dread me so much?" Yang Jieyu inquired.
          "After everything that has happened Ma'am, I am really sorry that I am that unfortunate part of our alliance but I have already lost too much." Shi Miyuan responded and Beiyuan set foot within the room all of a sudden and then he bowed his head.
          "What are you doing here?" Shi Miyuan asked.
          "He has something to say." Yang Jieyu spoke in tears.
          "What is it?" Shi Miyuan inquired.
          "Milady left the Palace as soon as His Majesty ascended the throne and she deserted herself this place to the ends of the world to protect you." Beiyuan responded.
          "What are you trying to say?" Shi Miyuan asked.
          "Forget it." Yang Jieyu pointed out when he was most curious and Shi Miyuan looked her in the eye he could see an untold grief that was hidden.
           "What is it that is heavy for you Ma'am, what is it that you can not tell me, what is it that breaks your heart and we can not share?" He insisted.
           "I am the Emperor's woman and a lot of things and events unfortunate and not have set me in this very place, before your eyes, where I can hardly breathe, where I am no more a human I have become a power hungry woman I have killed every part of me to become heartless." Yang Jieyu muttered.
          "But I am listening." Shi Miyuan said.
          "You are the Prince Consort and you are powerless, you forget what Han Touzhou did to your father and to your family how unfilial you must be that you don't desire to shed a single drop of blood for them?" Yang Jieyu said.
           "Our alliance shall risk the position of my clan." Shi Miyuan pointed out.
           "Your wife shall risk my position as well if you won't manage her and the moment that she becomes a hamper that shall hinder me from reaching my ambitions and aspirations I shall eliminate her with these very hands even if it must be in cold blood." Yang Jieyu said as she stood up from where she was seated and bowed her head to him she prepared to walk away from him when he held her hand.
          "What if I still say no?" He asked that she fiercely turned around and looked him in the eye.
          "My heart is barren as I speak I feel nothing and that means that even guilt itself has no place within me." Yang Jieyu responded as she turned back and faced the door, "if you are not my ally you are my enemy but seeing that you are yourself a most remarkable talent, this Great Song Empire losing you would be a big shame." She added as she vanished from the place and left him inside travelling towards the main door she stopped and leaned against the wall with her hands.
            "What did you do Ma'am?" Beiyuan asked, "why didn't you tell him?" He insisted.
            "Suspense is itself good enough a reason." She replied.
            "He deserved to know." Beiyuan said.
            "The time hasn't yet come." Yang Jieyu replied, "knowing how big this secret is is just as dangerous to him I can not compromise his safety." She added while he tightly held at a chest and the young man taking to naught how difficult it was for her he kept quiet as they continued in their own direction.
           Xiaoyang in the kitchen was watching Shaanxi while she moved towards the dishes that were being prepared for Yang Jieyu and slowly, she started putting something inside and ensuring that no one was watching her, she stirred the sauce before she walked away as Manyin walked up to the bowl hastily and she took it from the table.
           Moving around the kitchen while she was being watched, she moved up to Yang Jieyu's new residence and Shaanxi confirming with her own eyes she smiled and walked away while Xiaoyang appeared in the very spot that she had deserted.
           Entering the room where Manyin was, the little girl turned and faced her.
           "Did you see anything?" She asked.
           "Yes." Xiaoyang confirmed, "it's clear now that Ma'am was right." She added as she took the bowl from her and offered her another one instead.
            "I guarantee that it is safe." She asserted.
            "What are you going to do with that one?" Manyin asked.
            "We'll have to first confirm something." Xiaoyang replied and hurriedly leaving the palace secretly, she made her way towards the palace gates where she found Master Bao waiting for her.
            "Sir?" She greeted him, "this way." She said as she led her away to another hidden room where the two sat and slowly, she picked up the bowl that she had taken from Manyin and handed it over to him while he looked at it.
            "Is this it?" He asked.
            "For a pregnant woman the tonics are the first most important thing and that's why Ma'am asked us to rely on you first Sir." Xiaoyang said as she slid the bowl over to him while he took the spoon and had a sip of the medicine.
           His face changed at that moment and that very instant he seemed to notice what was wrong.
           "What's the problem with it?" She asked, "what did they put in the medicine?" She insisted.
           "Small volumes of Purslane, it's just sufficient enough to induce a miscarriage." Master Bao replied.
          "There's the tonics, many other combinations are as fatal as well then, isn't it?" She asked.
           "You know it's the tonics I doubt the Empress is willing to repeat the same mistake by tampering with her clothes yet again." Master Bao pointed out.
           "This is the Palace Milord, we merely needed to confirm that it was her child that is being targeted by the Empress and now that the truth has been revealed I understand that Ma'am shall take all the necessary precautions." Xiaoyang responded.
           "If you say so Milady." Master Bao said.
            Yang Jieyu having returned to her Chambers, the doors were flung open and Xiaoyang walked in.
           "What did you discover?" She asked.
           "As you had hoped Ma'am, she decided to use purslane yet again though and in minimal amounts the effects of a miscarriage would have surfaced sooner or later." Xiaoyang replied.
          "So it is a miscarriage that she wants?" Yang Jieyu muttered.
           "It seems to be so." Manyin replied.
           "We'll give it to her then." She said.
           "What?" Xiaoyang said.
           "You didn't think that it was taking precautions alone that I would do after finding this out as long as the Empress still stands we'll only be on more tension." Yang Jieyu said.
            "Ma'am, we need to be extra careful, not to stupidly compromise your security." Xiaoyang pointed out.
             "You wait and see." Yang Jieyu muttered.
             "Did things work out?" Empress Han asked Shaanxi who reported in front of her.
             "Yes Your Highness though I couldn't get in to confirm that she drank the concoction we can't be too sure as results are supposed to manifest themselves over time." Shaanxi replied.
             "That's true."  Empress Han replied.
            "What should we do?" Shaanxi asked.
            "We can't be too hasty about anything yet we must first confirm something." Empress Han replied.
            "But who shall do that Your Highness?" Shaanxi asked.
            "If you turn up she'll be a bit too suspicious." Empress Han replied as she turned and looked at her, "Eunuch Gong, he's therefore the only one that we can trust." Empress Han replied.
            "Yes Your Highness." Shaanxi agreed.
            Emperor Ningzong walking through the gates of Xuanmiao temple one of the minks hurried over to him.
          "How may I help you Sir?" He asked.
          "I was hoping to lodge here for the night having travelled a long journey and that is if you don't mind?" Emperor Ningzong replied.
         "The monastery is always open to they the true servants of God, those that seek refuge in him, enlightenment and salvation, that's a universal doctrine." The monk replied.
          "Very well." Emperor Ningzong said and Lan He walking behind him as they were being led away the Emperor caught sight of Lady Cao who was bearing with herself a bucket of water and halting in his footsteps he watched her slowly cleaning the floors.
           The monk realising that he wasn't being followed at that moment turned around and looked at the young Emperor whose gaze had been diverted to the young woman.
           "Sir?" He called him
           "What did she do to end up here?" The Emperor asked him.
           "Don't concern yourself with her." The monk replied.
           "I am merely curious." Emperor Ningzong muttered.
           "She is a very fine young woman that's flawless in all her conduct, she takes care to recite sutras everyday her soul was already refined even before she set foot in this place and confessed to accept her own sins day and night she prays for her enemies wherever they are I heard from the master of this Temple that she was exiled here on an Imperial command." The old monk said.
           "She really must feel hateful." He muttered under his breath.
          "No " the monk replied, "she's always praying for His Majesty and fasts for him, she prays for another intimate friend of hers she calls a dignified woman and a sister to her she's never missed anyone more in life like she misses those two." The monk said and Lady Cao having noticed that the Emperor was watching she carried the bucket of water and was headed towards the gate.
          Descending the stairs as he watched she pretended to trip and the young man rushed over to her aid and helped her up onto her feet.
          Lady Cao raising her eyes they met his.
          "Your Majesty?" She said to him as she pushed away from him and immediately bowed her head.
         "What has become of you my Lady?" The Emperor asked.
         "Pardon this humble servant of yours Your Majesty, I didn't mean to bump into you." She said while he raised his right hand and touched her cheek.
          "Your Majesty?" The Monk said.
          "It's the Emperor." Lan He whispered to him while he widened his eyes in disbelief.
          "What much weight you have lost you have become so pale and hard to recognize, I forgot all along that you were here suffering and perhaps it must have been that I was too lenient with the Empress." Emperor Ningzong said.
          "I don't blame you at all Your Majesty." Lady Cao muttered as she bowed her head to him.
          "It is a very cold night, we should go on inside." Emperor Ningzong said and Lady Cao trying to stand up she pretended to be temporarily paralysed she fell onto the Emperor's chest as he held her up.
          "Are you alright?" He inquired.
          "I am sorry Your Majesty, I am a bit too weak to walk and my ankle hurts." She replied while he mastered the courage to hold her in his two arms and bearing her all the way they walked into her Chambers on the side of the building.
            Getting inside he helped her down onto her small mattress on the floor and their faces only inches apart he looked her in the eyes that she couldn't break any contact they lit up and appeared pitiful.
            "Pardon me Your Majesty." She said while he pulled away slowly and looking at her ankle he noticed that the area around it had become purple he picked a cloth and dipped it in water that he started to wipe it slowly while she watched him longingly.
           "You are staring hardly at me." He pointed out.
           "I am but a mere servant Your Majesty, to have you look after me I am honored as I feel ashamed to look at you." She replied.
           "Ashamed?" He inquired.
           "Yes." She confirmed.
           "Why?" He asked as he turned and looked up at her.
           "I remember that I had once promised Your Majesty that I shall be by your side all through and those days I recall my youth was remarkable I had never felt happier in my life." Lady Cao replied.
           "I see." Emperor Ningzong said as he started to feel sorry for her she pulled the bottom of her skirt up and revealed her thigh and at once the young man was distracted.
            "What's wrong Your Majesty?" He asked as the incense that was burning in the room getting to him he started changing at once he could see Lady Yang's reflection in her face.
             "Your Majesty?" She called him but he couldn't reply his eyes were on the cleavage on her chest and getting closer to her she knew that everything was working out in her favour she ceased him and pulled him closer to her body.
            "Your Majesty...?" She was saying when he leaned in and kissed her abruptly that his touch became very violent and before long he had pinned her down to the mattress while he positioned himself on top.
            In the morning, Eunuch Gong walked into Yang Jieyu's Chambers and he greeted her bearing a special bowl in his hands.
           "Ma'am?" He greeted.
           "You are here to see me?" She asked.
           "Yes." Eunuch Gong replied.
           "Seeing that you turned up could it be what we talked about yesterday?" She asked.
           "Her Highness the Empress was merely concerned about your health she had a concoction of anti abortifacients arranged and chose to have me deliver it to you." Eunuch Gong replied while she smiled.
          "Bring it here." She said and at once Manyin took the bowl from him and delivered it to her Lady who took it without hesitation.
          "But you understand that I can't rush myself." She said.
         "It's alright Ma'am." Eunuch Gong said.
         "Her Highness must be wishing to know if I drank it all to every last drop rather than believe my words she'd certainly confirm through yours you wouldn't mind keeping me company." Yang Jieyu requested.
           "If you so wish Ma'am." Eunuch Gong replied and slowly by slowly the young woman sipped the concoction in front of him while a Lady in waiting watching on the outside she waited for a very long while but it didn't seem like the Eunuch was coming out.
           Emperor Ningzong getting up in the morning he turned around to look at the spot that was next to him and noticing that it was empty he immediately panicked as he tried to recall everything that had happened the previous night.
           "Anyone out there?" He asked when Lan He immediately rushed in.
           "Your Majesty?" He said to him.
           "Where's Lady Cao?" The Emperor inquired.
           "She moved out a couple of hours ago for the morning prayer and she didn't want to disturb your sleep she claimed that last night you slept peacefully due told me to let you lie a bit longer." Lan He replied.
           "We must return to the Palace." Emperor Ningzong said.
           "Your Majesty, won't you wait for her to return?" Lan He asked.
           "If it is revealed that I am not in the palace then it could cause her harm as it is you recall that she's in exile for a crime committed against the Inner Court it shall be very difficult for her." Emperor Ningzong replied as he stood up.
            "I'll keep that in mind Your Majesty." Lan He assured him.
            After thirty minutes had elapsed, Yang Jieyu put the empty bowl on her table while Eunuch Gong stared at it.
           "Are you satisfied Superintendent Gong?" She inquired.
           "I shall deliver your sincerest gratitude to Her Highness." Eunuch Gong replied.
           "And I know that she shall be pleased." Eunuch Gong said as he stood up and bearing the bowl with him he bowed his head to her as he withdrew from the room.
            The Lady in waiting still secretly watching outside caught sight of him leaving the residence and hurriedly she rushed over to Shaanxi in private as they hid behind the Empress' Palace.
            "What took you so long?" She asked her.
            "Pardon me Milady but Superintendent Gong took a while inside about thirty minutes that I was worried." The Lady Replied.
            "What happened to him?" She asked.
            "I don't really know a thing at all Milady but one thing is for certain he seemed happy." The lady responded.
            "Really?" Shaanxi asked.
            "Yes Milady." the young maid assured her and a suspicious Shaanxi she made her way into the Empress' Chambers who was quietly seated and lost in her thoughts.
            "It is I Your Highness." She said to her.
            "Any news from Eunuch Gong?" Empress Han asked.
            "It's likely that Lady Yang didn't suspect a thing I am not too sure but an empty bowl certainly left the room much as shockingly he spent thirty minutes in Yang Jieyu's room." Shaanxi replied.
           "What are you trying to imply?" Empress Han asked.
           "It's hard to tell Your Highness but we can't be too lax about everyone that is around us even Superintendent Gong that's if we really want to be safe, I shall look into the matter and other details just so that it doesn't happen that we are not mistaken." Shaanxi responded.
           "I think we could all agree to that." Empress Han said.
           Yang Jieyu seated with Manyin and Xiaoyang Beiyuan made his way into the room.
           "You called for me Ma'am?" He asked.
           "Have a seat." Yang Jieyu replied and the latter compliant she took a chest from underneath her table and placed it in front of him.
           "This is...?" He inquired.
           "Letters that reveal the Empress' ill conduct." Yang Jieyu replied.
           "How?" Beiyuan asked.
           "The Empress has made an effort to bury a number of women and men within the palace and the intention before had been nothing more than to safeguard her position against favourites and other enemies, she's induced abortions and she's masterminded all the events in the past inciting the people against the state." Yang Jieyu replied.
           "How so was it that you Ma'am were able to obtain this?" Beiyuan inquired.
           "All these confessions are rather fabricated but I assure you depending on the person that is found with them they are bound to gain meaning." Yang Jieyu replied.
           "Corpses from outside the Palace have been coming in in secret on my orders and we have buried them at all the places there are within these letters." Yang Jieyu replied, "you just need to get these into Eunuch Gong's quarters for us in secret since they shall hardly suspect you." She said as she pushed the chest across to Beiyuan who ceased it in his hands.
          "I'll do my level best Ma'am." He assured her.
          "I trust that you are capable of doing much more than that." Yang Jieyu said as she smiled at herself ghastly.
          "Yes Ma'am." Beiyuan replied as he picked the box and withdrawing from the room Yang Jieyu turned and looked at Manyin and Xiaoyang.
           "I'll trust you two with the other part of this plan." She said and bowing their heads to her quietly she placed a small sack on the table and a bunch of coupons.
          "What's all this Ma'am?" Manyin asked.
          "This is exactly five hundred golden taels all you have to do is deliver the amount to Eunuch Gong under a watchful eye and one way or another the Empress Han should know." Yang Jieyu replied and taking the objects from the table they got out of the room while she remained back smiling at herself contentedly.
           "Let's see how long you'll hold out Your Highness." She confidently whispered to herself in the dark as she smiled devilishly.
           Eunuch Gong on his way to the Empress' quarters he was intercepted by Manyin who walked up to him with the sack of money.
          "Here's a good amount." She said while a Lady in waiting happened to be eavesdropping their conversation as they had an exchange.
           "What is this?" He protested.
           "Is five hundred golden taels too little?" Manyin inquired.
           "Be careful not to be loud." He said.
           "Our Ma'am is very grateful it must have been very hard to make it in the Palace of recent, she only hopes that you can do a very good job and keep up the good work, hopefully, you won't be disappointing her." Manyin muttered as the young man watching her silently she left before he even had a chance to speak that he immediately rushed after her while the young woman held her mouth so surprised.
           "What?" Shaanxi said as she furiously smacked the table and stood up.
           "I heard it with my two ears Milady and saw it with my own eyes, Eunuch Gong received five hundred golden taels from Yang Jieyu's court Lady and he took them without hesitation and overhearing their conversation, she said something about not disappointing her Ma'am." The young woman replied.
           "Then, if he's really working with Lady Yang....?" She said as a troubled expression descended over her face.
           "We need to speak to Her Highness." The lady in waiting said.
           "Her Highness is already worried about Yang Jieyu as it is we can not yet add to her worry if it is true that Superintendent Gong is receiving money from Yang Jieyu it is very important that we find out why? Shaanxi muttered.
           "And how are we to do that Milady?" The young girl inquired.
           "You shall inform all the other girls to keep this confidential and not confide a single thing in Superintendent Gong, we'll need to get into his quarters secretly to find out more." Shaanxi replied.
           "Yes Milady." The young woman replied and bowing her head she immediately withdrew from the room and left the latter alone.