Chapter 18

A small little airfield was just in the distance as our small commute from the disaster of Cairo was drawing to a close. We were greeted by a small security system, which only required a boy manning the gate entrance by a small pole. The young gentlemen noticed Rick from a distance, because without even stopping the vehicle, we were let in, driving the broken down car we used to escape as it was on its last push. We make a stop on the bottom of a sand dune, looking up to see a larger man sitting on top of said sand dune with music playing, an umbrella by his side and him drinking tea, nonetheless.

With the group disembarking from the car, I was trapped with Qasim still asleep, with his head on my lap. I looked up and whispered to Ardeth, "Go on ahead, I'll stay with the boy."

Ardeth nodding his head and went ahead with the rest of the group to talk to Rick's friend. As I was sitting in the car, brushing Qasim's hair to the side, I was looking around the area to see what was around us. It was obvious that the entire facility was surrounded by desert, there were a few little huts and housing around the area, most likely owned by the families that live here. There were sheep and goats roaming around the area as well as the shepherd was working to gather them. Looking over behind me, there was a makeshift hangar, big enough for two planes.

When I turned back, I guess I woke up Qasim as he started rubbing his eyes, not realizing how bright the day was.

"Good morning sleepy head." I announced. Not realizing we haven't eaten for almost a full day now, my stomach started growling. Qasim shot me a bewildered expression as he heard how hungry I was.

"You think we can find something to eat here?" I ask as if he can respond back to me.

I get out of the car and help Qasim out, as we go in search of food.

We wander away from the group as we walk towards the hangar. We walked closer to the entrance and I let out an announcement, saying we are here. "Hello, is anyone here?"

We then hear a clink of a tool falling to the ground and then a voice from the back of the hangar.

"Who's there!?" It sounded like a man, whose voice was that of a weasel. Still not being able to se the man to that voice, the conversation kept on without us seeing each others faces.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we were wondering if you have a moment to point us to where we can get food." 

"Now why would you be asking a question like that? Can't you see that I am busy!" said the man, who emerged from behind a plane. He was of African American descent, but he had a tinge of a British accent to his voice. He was fairly skinny, making the white tank top that he wore to overshadow his top torso and he had a worn bandana on the top of his head.

"Sorry, it's just, we've had a long night and we're starving. I'm not asking you to cook the food, just show me where to at least grab something."

"I'm sorry, let me point you to the nearest convenience store, it's about fifty miles back from where you came from! It's a desert! Do you honestly believe we have anything ready to eat!"

I was starting to get enraged by the man's outburst and I responded with the same energy. "Oh I'm sorry! Didn't realize the closest thing to food here is the damn sheep roaming around here! You don't need to be an ass if you want to make a point!"

But that just riled him up even more. "Then be my guest! Kill the damn sheep! They keep eating my things anyways"

I grabbed Qasim to turn away from the man when Rick was walking towards us.

"Is he bothering you Anna?" asked Rick.

"Don't bother he's a jerk anyways!" I replied.

Rick goes up to the man, thinking that he might start a fight with the man who yelled at me, he greeted him with a reprimand. "Izzy, you know you're not going to get women with that kind of attitude." The man called Izzy stopped in his tracks as he saw Rick in front of him. His face looked like he saw a ghost.