Chapter 20

What was once a city of ruins, filled with terror and sorrow, is now on the brink of being destroyed before our eyes. Pillars fell over as sand and dust filled the air, creating a dust cloud, obscuring our vision as the City of the Dead sank back into the earth. I think back to when this city brought so much suffering and sadness to our group. Realizing now that it will never see the light of day again. "What about the others?" I asked as we were still missing three members of our group.

"We'll find them when this is all over Anna. It's too dangerous to find them now." reassured Ardeth. With nothing else to do, we all witnessed the fall of this once dreadful city as the earth took it back to the depths of hell. A giant dust cloud blew in our direction as we shielded our eyes from the sand. Once the air cleared, we looked around to see what was left of this city. Searching for any survivors, Ardeth noticed a group of three running towards a herd of camels. "That must be them," he announced. After the realization that the group had escaped, a thought conjured in my head, wondering if they had killed Imhotep.

"Is it over? Did they kill him?" I had asked. He gave me a concerned look and said, "They must have, otherwise the city wouldn't have fallen." I sighed in relief knowing that the monster who was responsible for my friend's death is finally dead. A smile grew on my face and I knew Ardeth took notice because he placed his hand on my shoulder. "Anna, stay here. I am sure they will be glad to know that I am well." I hesitated in letting him go, but I knew it would be for the best. "That's fine. I'll help Izzy get the plane ready."

I dismounted off the horse and Ardeth rode towards the direction of the group. As I watched him ride off, I couldn't get my mind off of that moment we had before the earthquake. What was he doing? Was he about to kiss me? I pressed my lips with my fingers, wondering how it would be to kiss him. When Qasim grabbed my hand and my thoughts were back to reality. I kneeled next to Qasim as he gave me back my scarf. "Thank you for taking care of my scarf." I said as I grabbed the scarf and wrapped my hair back into a ponytail. I give Qasim a hug and Izzy interrupts by saying, "Well that's something you don't see everyday, now let's get a move on before we see more crazy shit!" he said as he made his way back to the plane. I go to help Izzy prepare the plane for take off, when I hear galloping from Ardeth's horse from behind. I turn and ask Ardeth, "Are they ok?" As he dismounted off the horse, he said, "Yes, they all made it. They are heading back to Cairo as we speak." he said. A weight was lifted off my shoulders, knowing they made it out alive.

"Well the plane is ready for take off, we can..."

"Anna, I should head back to Cairo on my own." Ardeth interrupted.

I paused at Ardeth's response, as I had thought we would go back together and sort this mess out, but I was mistaken. "What?" Ardeth took me to the side and continued to say, "I need to let my people know that Imhotep was defeated. I will meet you back in Cairo in due time, but I need to do this first. Will you wait for me?"

There it was, those captivating eyes, unable to look away. I hugged him farewell as I knew it would take a little while until I saw him again as I whispered to him, "I'll be waiting for you at the museum." I drew back from that hug and then said, "Get back to your people safe."

He mounted his horse and as he looked down to me he grabbed my hand and kissed it. My face I could only imagine to be red from embarrassment, he laughed and said, "I'll see you soon."

He kicked his heels as he sped up his horse and he rode into the desert. My heart was still beating from that kiss he placed upon my hand, then Izzy announced, "Come on let's go!"

I looked once more at Ardeth from a distance and then I went to board on Izzy's plane. As we were taking off, we circled around the ruins of Hamunaptra to gain altitude. Looking back, I wanted nothing more than to see this city up in flames, but now, I had only wished it wasn't at the cost of the lives of my friends. The journey to healing I know will be long and painful. But only time will tell where I go next.