Imagine you knew Jaskier at Oxenfurt, before Geralt

TW: cursing, mentions of sex

Studying at Oxenfurt was a glorious privilege Y/n never thought she'd be able to accomplish. Normally, the academy would only admit viscounts and lords into the ranks of its students, those with talents, or money, far beyond anything the rest of the Continent had seen. She was not a part of the most high coming families, but luckily for her, it appeared as though her father was just respected enough among his peers to admit her into the academy to study the arts.

She knew that studying the theatre was something her parents had always looked down upon. They wanted her to marry rich, find a high born boy whom she could wed and bring into the world many strapping, young, respectable boys who could carry on her husband's name. She didn't want that. She didn't want to bind herself to a lordling. She wanted to perform. She wanted to know what it was like to be in other people's shoes. She wanted to hear the crowds cheer when she finished an incredible performance, tossing coins onto the stage which she could take and lavish herself.

Her father had forced her to take a few other classes at Oxenfurt, other than just that of the performing arts. He wanted her well educated, placing her in the histories, sciences, and literature classes in hopes that a smart young girl such as herself could bring in a high born lord for her that would bring up her family. He limited any amount of time she got to spend performing, saving it all for her academic studies. But Y/n relented, instead putting her theatre first and her academics next. She didn't want to do what her father wanted.

However, when she arrived in astronomy class one day, she found herself starstruck as she stared into a pair of cornflower blue eyes that met hers from her desk.

The boy sitting in her seat was around her age, with fluffy brown hair and a round, innocent face. His clothes were respectable, and obviously of high quality. Of course, Y/n had seen him in class, but she never really noticed him or talked to him before, trying hard to not to engage herself too deeply in any of these classes but her performing arts. But when he grinned and winked at her, she let out a cough and shook her mind clear of the boy, keeping her head forward as she walked up to him. "I'm terribly sorry, but it appears as though you're in my seat," she told him, and his face fell.

He stood, picking up his books and saying, "I'm sorry, my lady. I suppose my mind is not where it should be today." She gave him a little grin, moving to take her seat as he stood and took the one beside her. Now, she knew he didn't sit there, for she always saw a boy with yellow hair sitting in that seat. She raised her eyebrow at him as he paid no heed, letting out a sigh and opening his astronomy book. When he noticed her questioning look, he said, "I couldn't hear a bloody thing from my last seat. The professor talks so quiet I thought myself to be hearing impaired."

Y/n let a small laugh leave her chest, nodding her head in understanding. "Well, I'm afraid to say it's not much better down here, even. Some, but not much. Although, I do hope the boy who sat there doesn't mind you taking his seat," she pointed out, and he let out a carefree shrug.