Imagine soothing Jaskier through a nightmare

TW: torture, slight PTSD, scared Jaskier, hurt/comfort, mentions of Rience

Pain.

Scorching pain.

That's all I feel. It burns. My hands, my legs, my face. Everything burns.

All I can see is a light, a flickering light that shields my eyes from the mutilation of my hand.

It's all I can see.

All I can feel.

I hear... laughter. A low, rough laughter.

They're laughing at my pain, at my screaming, at the agony that is running through my body.

It's a man.

The light went away. I can see his face.

His eyes are malicious, dark, and terrifying. His face, scarred. Burnt. Just like I am now.

Snapping.

That's what I hear next. The snapping of fingers, and I can see the light once more, and feel the pain.

It's fire. It's burning my skin.

I scream, and he laughs. Like some sort of sick game.

He holds the flame under my finger, just holding it there.

No pain could match this.

I can feel the fire in my bones.

My mind.

My very soul.

Geralt? Where is Geralt?

He's asking about Geralt!

"GERALT!!"

Y/n snapped her eyes open at the exclamation from the man beside her. She rolled over in the bed, looking up to see her bard sitting up from his slumber. He was glistening with a cold sweat, running down his chest and his face. His breathing was deep and hoarse, and tears welled in his blue eyes as he tried to regain his breathing once more. "Jaskier?" Y/n spoke softly, and he jerked away, startled from her voice. However, when he saw he, he calmed, feeling her sit up with him. "What is it, my Dandelion? What's wrong?"

"I-I... I was dreaming," Jaskier managed out, his voice shaking uncontrollably. She wrapped an arm around his shoulder, and his hand grabbed hold of hers as he felt her place a kiss down on his shoulder. He took a deep breath, pushing some of his longer hair from his face and saying, "A nightmare."

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, gently rubbing up and down his arm in a soothing gesture. Just her touch was enough to slightly calm his racing heart, but his eyes still darted from every corner of the room to look for the dark haired fire mage.

"I just- I just need a moment. Some water..." Jaskier managed, closing his eyes before quickly standing from the bed and walking over to the nightstand where a pitcher of clean water sat, a cup beside it. He quickly poured the contents and downed it as fast as he could, the soothing liquid beginning to make him feel better. He was hot. He was so hot. It felt as though the sun had made a permanent residence in their room.

He heard the sounds of covers being moved aside, and the small, delicate footsteps of the woman he loved coming up behind him. She stepped to the side, so she was in his view, once again bringing her hand up to gently touch him. "Jaskier, I want to help you," she said, and he turned to her, just placing his head in the crook of her neck. He breathed in deeply, the familiar smell of lavender filling his mind. "You don't need to tell me now, if you wish, but I want to know you're alright."

He gripped her tighter, and she could feel wet drops landing on her shoulder. Tears. Jaskier was crying, his body shaking slightly as she held onto him tighter. She hated seeing him in pain. It was like a stab to her heart every time a tear fell from his eye, or his breath hitched from the sobs he tried to keep down. They stood there for a while, Y/n simply holding Jaskier as he tried to calm himself down, his grip on her waist tight and needy. He needed her touch. He needed her familiarity. He needed her love. Pulling back, he let out the last of his tears, Y/n kissing his cheeks against the salty sadness that fell from his eyes. "It was... Uhm..." Jaskier started, licking his lips to try and speak right without shaking, although Y/n could still feel the tremors in his hands. "It was Rience. I was back in the dark with nothing but his fire to light the way, but it just kept hurting me. He would laugh as I screamed, burning my hands away with each vile snap of his godsdamned fingers." He could feel her worried eyes on him, instead looking down at their conjoined hands. "Just like before, he was asking about Geralt."

He was on the verge again, Y/n could tell. With each word, his voice grew hoarse and began to shake. "Jaskier, look at me," she told him, gently taking hold on his chin to lift it to meet their eyes. "I will never let Rience come near you ever again, do you hear me? Nor will Geralt. Nor Yennefer. Nor even Ciri. Do you know why?" Jaskier remained silent, merely looking between her beautiful eyes. "Because we love you. I love you, Dandelion, and I will be damned before another man like Rience tries to hurt you."

Jaskier gave her the smallest of smiles, the woman pulling him into a hug and playing with the now long hair that went down to his neck. He gave her a chaste kiss on her neck, before looking back into her eyes and asking, "Can you tell me one of the stories of you and Geralt before I retire once more?"

"Of course, Jask," Y/n smiled, and took him back to the awaiting bed. She laid down first, gesturing for him to come and join her. He rested his head on her chest, his arms wrapping around her torso as she gently played with his hair. He loved being the little spoon, and let in a breath of contentment as he listened to Y/n begin her story. "There was this one time I was out with Geralt, just outside the borders of White Orchard. An old woman stopped us in the middle of the road, going on about this missing pan of hers, she really wouldn't quiet..." Jaskier listened to her speaking, her voice flowing through his ears like a majestic river, sighing at the feeling of her hands running through his hair. "We really had to get going because we needed to slay a griffin that had been killing around the area..."

As Y/n finished her story, she felt that Jaskier's breathing had calmed down once more. Looking down, she saw his eyes were closed, and soft snores were leaving his nose as he snuggled up closer to her in the bed. She gave a light smile at the man she adored, pressing a kiss to the top of his head before snuggling up herself into the covers and going down into a deep sleep. Both their dreams were content and peaceful for the rest of the night.