Javier

At the end of his guard duty shift, Javier stretched his arms and spotted Charles approaching from camp. It was the morning after he'd joined Dutch and Micah in Annesburg, where they'd killed Cornwall. Dutch and the others hadn't returned yet from Saint Denis and it was calm around camp.

Charles stopped in front of him. "I'm here to relieve you."

"Gracias, compadre." Javier swung the strap of the rifle over his head, handing it over. He joked, "Just in time. It was getting a little too quiet by myself. The trees sound like they're whispering to each other."

Charles nodded, serious. "Rains Fall says this land has soaked up the blood of many innocents, his people and others."

Javier was glad he hadn't heard that at the start of his shift. It was unnerving as hell and Charles had delivered it as if it were fact. He shook his head, pushing away his uneasiness.

Since it was only the two of them, there was something Javier wanted to bring up, as he recalled Charles' recent clashing with Dutch.

"Say," he began, taking a neutral tone. "You know Dutch is doing his best with what we've been dealt with, right?"

Charles stared ahead, not facing him, his profile sharp against the trees. "I know he is no longer considering the best options for survival."

Javier stiffened with tension. "What is your problem, brother?"

"I don't have a problem," Charles claimed and glanced his way. "Do you have a problem?"

Javier clenched his jaw a moment before answering, "I don't know yet, but use your brain through all of this, friend. Use it, if you know what's good for you."

Charles crossed his arms and returned his attention to the woods. "I'll use my brain, and you use yours."

Charles hadn't outright spoken against Dutch, but he hadn't been afraid to push back lately. Javier didn't want to cause strife with one of their most reliable members, but he needed Charles to know where his loyalty should lie.

"Just remember who has provided for us lately."

Charles said nothing and, unless he wanted to get in his face about it, Javier would have to accept Charles would take his words into consideration.

Javier ambled into camp, which was alive and running under Miss Grimshaw's direction. Everyone still here was awake by this time, except maybe Uncle. Javier debated a moment on whether he wanted to rest for the afternoon or eat something.

Javier spotted Lenny and Karen standing around, talking and drinking coffee while Pearson sat on a barrel near them, looking glum.

Javier joined them and asked Pearson, "Why the long face, amigo?"

"You have to ask?" Pearson responded grumpily.

Javier frowned and Karen questioned him, "You spot any Pinkertons during your lookout?"

"No."

"Cause Lenny was saying yesterday there was some pretty damn close to here."

He'd taken over for Lenny at his guard shift last night and Lenny hadn't said anything about it. Javier swung to face him. "Is this true?"

"They weren't too far," Lenny admitted. "I could see them holding lanterns down by the river, on the opposite shore."

"They see you?"

Lenny shook his head. "No, but they're sure getting close. I think Hosea and Charles got the right idea about us moving out of the area as soon as possible."