Epilogue

GANG HIDEOUTS DISCOVERED, GANGS DECIMATED

From the mining town of Annesburg to the great city of Saint Denis, and even further to the growing Blackwater, it appears the law has finally taken control of the land. Two more gangs in the area have been broken apart by the Pinkerton Detective Agency and local law. Details are still coming in, but initial reports indicate the group known as the Van der Linde gang, and its rival, the O'Driscoll Boys have been thoroughly and completely annihilated. With only a few sporadic groups plaguing the countryside, it won't be long before the lawless are fully eradicated and these United States are safe once again.

September 1899

New York

Josiah sighed, set his newspaper aside and picked up his glass of scotch. So, it seemed the authorities had finally caught up to his friends. He had no way of knowing just who had been 'annihilated' and who had possibly slipped the law's grasp as he had.

Josiah had managed to reunite with his family in New York. After a bit of groveling for his absence, he eventually regained his wife's favor. By all accounts, he'd become a normal citizen with no obvious criminal past. He'd found a job as a salesman in a high-end clothing store for men. It was easy work and sometimes amusing, but nowhere near as thrilling as the work he was used to.

He'd be deceiving himself if he said his mind never itched for something...more stimulating. Gone were the days where he could plot schemes with Hosea and Dutch, celebrate with the boys when they pulled off a successful take, and entertain the ladies at camp with his charm.

There were days the ennui was enough to tempt him into performing undetectable misdemeanors. Just a little pickpocketing here and there, and only from the most careless sods he encountered.

Yet, Lydia was happy with him these days, now that he had a regularly scheduled career. He enjoyed the work enough, but mostly he appreciated the steady paycheck.

"Josiah," his wife called, opening the door to his den and gliding in. "You've been sitting in here for hours. What is it you're doing?"

Pensively musing over the freedom lost, he silently answered her. No longer could he gallivant across the country, meet new people and experience new adventures. He would miss those times and the friends he'd never see again.

Lydia stopped beside his chair and rested a hand on his shoulder. "What's troubling you, darling?"

"Oh nothing, my dear." Josiah picked up her hand and kissed her fingers. "Only that it seems to be an end of an era."

XXXXXXXXX

VAN DER LINDE GANG LEADER KILLED! BLACKWATER FERRY ROBBERY MONEY RECOVERED!

It was a nerve-wracking night for the people of Blackwater. Agents have been staked out in the town for nearly a week anticipating a return of the thieves.

Their patience turned out not to be in vain. On Saturday night, close to midnight, a small group of thugs originating from the Van der Linde gang tried to sneak into the city. Two had planned to ignite dynamite in the center of town, to no doubt cause harm and chaos while the others attempted to recover a money stash hidden unexpectedly in a grave. By the end of the night, the Pinkerton agents successfully captured the troublemakers without any civilian casualties.

Dutch van der Linde, who was wanted in multiple states dead or alive, has been taken down by Pinkerton agents. Two of his associates were apprehended, Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella. Witnesses describe the involvement of two more men, but it is not known at this time as to their whereabouts. In any case, the capture of these men should be a warning to all outlaws that their crime sprees are at an end.