Abigail

As Jack's waking state finally evolved from unsettled fussing to even-paced breathing, Abigail released a sigh of relief. She slowed her hand movement of massaging circles over her son's back. She'd been silently willing him to calm into sleep for over an hour.

She eased away from him on the cot, but kept stilling her movements to be sure she hadn't disturbed him. When Jack didn't shift or wake, she stood fully with exaggerated motions in order to not make a sound until she was able to tiptoe stealthily out of the tent.

Abigail loved her son, she did. He was the best thing she'd ever created, but motherhood took its toll. Some days, Jack was the sweetest, silliest of boys who could melt her heart with a single grin. But other days were like today, where he'd become as unreasonably stubborn as his father and no amount of motherly tenderness and patience worked to soothe him.

It used to be a short nap would solve his fussiness. He'd wake refreshed and as her sweet child again. But ever since they'd left Lakay, Jack had taken on an aversion to naps. Ever since Milton fired on them and she'd had to wake Jack, yank him from his hammock, throw him to the floor, and cover up his body with hers as bullets pealed over them.

She wished she could erase the terror that now rose in his eyes whenever she told him it was time to go to sleep. Because of Milton's utter brutality, she may never be able to fully heal the scars of Jack's mind from waking to gunfire and chaos. Milton had taken her son's innocence and if she ever got the chance, she would make sure Milton paid dearly for that theft.

The situation also wasn't helped by the fact that when they'd so hastily abandoned Shady Belle weeks ago, Jack had had to leave behind most of his toys because she didn't have time to hunt around for all of them.

Abigail had grown to regret not trying harder. She hadn't realized so much of her son's peace of mind had been reliant on a few simple toys that were still missing.

"That boy finally settled down now?"

Abigail turned to find Hosea joining her side. "Yes. He needs it, but I can't let him sleep too long or tonight will be a worse time."

"You have no easy task."

"Could be easier," she said, annoyed, "if John were here."

Hosea lifted an eyebrow. "You know he's trying these days, Abigail."

Abigail sighed in an attempt to shed her irritability. "I know."

They were in a better situation, it was true. John was with them and finally willing and wanting to get them away. She had to keep clinging to those dreams. They had to survive this mess so they could make a real life for themselves.

Hosea continued, "Now that John's got his head on straight, I see only good things for you three."

"Can I get that in writing?" she asked wryly.

Hosea chuckled. "Would it make you feel better?"

Since she wouldn't be able to read it anyway, she guessed not.

"You look drawn out," Hosea remarked, suggesting, "Why don't you take some time for yourself this afternoon?"

She protested, "I can't leave Jack alone."

"I'll sit with him for awhile," Hosea offered.

She wanted to refuse the help, but the way Hosea asked, it seemed to her he'd welcome a sit-down for himself too.

"Alright," she conceded. "Just for an hour."

"Go on," Hosea shooed her. "Rest, occupy yourself. Run into town if you so desire."