CHAPTER NINE

NINE — PETER AND CHARLOTTE

Rosalie didn't say much after she and Marie left Marie's memories. Another two days of hunting went by practically silently, as well as the return home. Everyone else had beaten them home, though Edward and Emmett being there was not surprising. Alice and Jasper were also already there, though that was explained by the presence of Peter and Charlotte at the house when they arrived. Marie wasn't in much of a mood to entertain, so after a polite hello, Marie retreated to her bedroom. She hadn't planned on it, but she ended up not leaving for the rest of the day. The house was relatively calm and quiet, with most of the family staying inside to avoid the sun, despite the lack of humans around to see their skin.

Jasper and Alice took Peter and Charlotte out for most of the day, though shortly before sunset they returned.

"A storm is on its way!" Alice said as soon as the front door opened. "A surprise, the humans on the news won't realize it's coming for another hour and half."

"A storm?" The couch squeaked as Emmett stood quickly. "Like, a good storm?" His voice coursed with excitement.

"Of course, why would I mention it otherwise?" Alice chuckled as Emmett hurried off to gather up the baseball equipment.

"Oh, how fun." Esme clasped her hands together softly. "A baseball game." She sighed happily. "Maybe that will get Marie's spirits up." Her voice was much lower than it had been before.

"Why don't you speak to her?" Carlisle answered in an equally low voice. It was just a second later that Marie heard a soft knock on her door.

"Marie?" Esme opened the door, peaking her head inside. "Hi, honey." Esme stepped inside, shutting the door behind her before joining Marie on the small couch.

"I don't feel like going." Marie answered before Esme could even ask. "I don't think I'd be good company." Esme sighed, brushing Marie's hair back off of her shoulder. "I'm sorry if that makes the teams uneven."

"It's okay, it's okay honey. You don't have to come if you don't want to." Esme shook her head. "With Peter and Charlotte here, everything's all even up. I don't have to ask Alice to know Edward likely won't make it out there tonight."

"Did you see him after?" Marie asked. "How was he?"

"Yes, he...well, he seemed like Edward." Esme chose her words carefully. "Pensive, with his mind miles away." Marie nodded, knowing there was likely more to how Edward was acting but Esme just didn't want her to worry.

"Well, it's sounds like everyone is ready." Marie commented, based on the chatter she heard from downstairs. "Have fun." Esme nodded. "I hope you win."

"Thank you, honey." Esme chuckled humorously, pressing a kiss to Marie's forehead before getting up to leave. She paused in the doorway, sad golden eyes watching Marie for just another moment before the door softly clicked shut. Marie flopped over, sprawling herself out across the couch with a sigh. After a few minutes, the house fell completely silent as everyone began to make the run to their baseball field. Marie eventually got up, beginning to wander around the house. The world outside seemed to move far faster than it did inside, or maybe Marie was just moving slower than she thought she was. In her mind, it felt as if she'd only walked the length of the glass wall at the back of the house once, and in that time the sun set. Just as the darkness really began to creep in, the front door opened.

Marie entered the front room, finding Edward reading the note Emmett left for him. 'Baseball at Rainier Field-c'mon, please!' Edward chuckled at Emmett's note, beginning to look around for a pen to answer his note when he finally realized Marie was standing there.