Chapter 14: Breakfast With Vampires

A knock on her door had Viridian lifting the lid of her coffin and combing her bed hair with her fingers. She'd been living in London for almost a month now and she was starting to get used to her new body and living in an old castle like church with 11 vampires.

After making sure she looked presentable, she opened her dragon door. "Good morning." Sophie was standing on the other side smiling brightly.

Viridian looked at her watch, it was barely 6 in the afternoon. The sun wasn't supposed to set for another half hour. "Good morning to you too. Why are you up so early?"

"I was thinking of making breakfast for the guys, are you interested in helping? You can say no if you want some more sleep." Sophie smiled.

"No I would love to help! Just let me put some actual clothes on." She looked down at her bunny slippers and laughed. "Come in, please." She left the door open so that Sophie could follow her. She quickly dug through one of her suitcases to find the t-shirt that she was looking for.

"Still haven't fully unpacked yet?" Sophie laughed as she sat in Viridian's coffin.

"Nope. I also need another dresser. I went a little over board on the new clothes." Viridian had an armoire and a dresser pushed up against the wall both filled with new clothes. Her old clothes still lied in the suitcases they came to London in. "Now that I can see, I tend to go for patterns and floral."

"Completely understandable." Sophie laughed.

When Viridian finished dressing she followed Sophie into the kitchen, not bothering to jump around escaped sunbeams. She loved the feeling of the sun on her new skin and she couldn't believe that the others didn't like it.

"You are so weird." Sophie laughed when she turned to see Viridian standing with the curtains in her hands, absorbing the sunlight.

"What? I can't help it." She giggled and then closed the curtains.

"The second I step foot in the sun, I start to smoke. You, my friend, are one lucky girl." Sophie threw her arm around Viridian's shoulder when she was close enough.

"So what are we cooking today?"

Sophie was already getting out different pots and pans that she would need and turning on the oven. "Oh the usual. Eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, muffins, maybe a few waffles, and we can't even eat breakfast without a breakfast casserole." Sophie was going through her internal list that she'd made last night.

"We need all of that food?" Viridian's jaw almost dropped.

"Of course we do! There are 12 of us and five of them are boys."

"Yea but we don't get hungry for food." Viridian stood by the counter and accepted items that Sophie held out to her from the refrigerator.

"Yea but when we do eat, we eat a lot. We miss the taste of things and we know it's not going to change us so we pig out. It's fun. It makes breakfast an event every time we do it." Sophie explained.

"I like it. I have to be honest I don't remember breakfast before becoming a vampire."

"Yep. When you're human it's just a thing you do."

There was a moment of silence before Viridian asked, "So is this what you like to do? Cook?"

"Well I like to bake more but yes cooking is fun too."

"You must be amazing at it."

"Here stir this," Sophie handed her a mixing bowl full of batter for the pancakes and waffles. Sophie pulled out the waffle iron and plugged it in before going back to mixing something in her own bowl. "Why do you think that I'm amazing at it? You've only tasted my cookies." She laughed.