EP.01

SELF INTRODUCTIONS
Chapter I

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

This is a quote that has been with me since childhood. The person who told me such a passage is my brother.

Han Daehyun, the Sherlock Holmes of twenty-first-century Korea. He's a senior detective working for the Korean National Police and the Republic of Korea Armed Forces.

What pushed him to become a person that has been basically chasing death is the loss of our parents. They were murdered in our own house, he was in school, and I am only six years old at the time.

They killed everyone in that house, including our helpers. And I survived that massacre out of unwanted pity.

"How was school?" He asks while we wait for our food at a luxurious restaurant, in celebration for another case closed.

"It was decent," I replied nonchalantly. I didn't like my new school very much if I was being honest.

"Decent?"

"It was the same as every other school I went to. Quality education, strict teachers, a bunch of rules that must be followed, classmates with sticks up their asses... and the invisible hierarchy amongst the students."

"Every school has an invisible hierarchy, Jaeyeon," he noted, attaching a napkin around his neck as the waiter arrives with the food.

"But not every school consists of students varying from children of billionaires, politicians, or other influential people." 

"So? You wouldn't be out of place if that was the case," he says as he shoved a piece of steak in his mouth.

I scoffed, "Don't act as if you don't know the meaning behind my words."

He sighs, "You're a bright child, Jaeyeon. You know how what to do with these people. You know those who should not be offended, who to befriend, and those who should just be ignored."

"You know how to play this game of chess, and you would need to keep playing as you grew older. This is just a preparation for that."

"It might be that, but you're also doing this to maintain your image or to broaden your connections using me. I can see through you, Daehyun."

He was taken aback by the sudden words of mild hostility, she chuckled and asked, "Well, what do you propose to do?"

"I want to attend the school you graduated from."

"I see. You want to experience being a normal teenager without worries about every little thing, without restraining yourself. But why that school specifically?"

"Should I have a reason for everything?" I inquired, twirling the wine glass slowly before taking a sip. It was only grape juice, but I like to be dramatic.

"Of course, every action has a motive." He stared into my eyes, probably trying to get something.

Unfortunately, both of us are blessed with a pair of vacant eyes that held no emotions nor warmth. No, it wasn't natural.

"Figure it out yourself, you're a world-famous detective for a reason."

-•-

"Congratulations on your twentieth anniversary, Mr. Yejin." Daehyun politely smiled at the middle-aged man, raising his wine glass for a toast that the politician immediately accepted. The sound of two glasses colliding with each other could be heard.

"Hahaha, I didn't think such a busy young lad would take the time to attend this simple celebration. Thank you for coming." He patted his shoulder twice.