Chapter 7

Zhan POV:

Praying to God repeatedly under my breath, I sit beside my sister's bed in a hospital and wait for her to wake up. It feels like waiting several years, even though I reached here an hour ago. Tears stream down my face, but I don't bother to wipe them because it's too much for me. I can't even dream of her like this, so seeing her motionless hurts me. I don't know what to do. I don't even tell Mom because there is so much I need to talk about with my sister about something that she has hidden from me.

 I don't even tell Mom because there is so much I need to talk about with my sister about something that she has hidden from me

It doesn't mean I do not know her secret anymore, because I do. The one who took me here told me all the hidden things about her, which I had a hard time believing. Though I like to hear from her, I need to know why she has selected a risky job and put her life in this situation. I need to know why she has hidden this from Mom and me. I need to know...

There are many questions arising in my mind each minute, but I keep them in my heart without letting out a single word. Because the doctor has told me to keep silent if I want to stay beside her. So I'm silent in my crying as well. Nothing around us causes any noise except the heart monitor, which produces an annoying beeping sound.

I look up, my mind racing with a slight expectation, when I feel a gentle hand on my elbow that belongs to my sister. The expectation breaks down even if she stares at me with her eyes wide open because there are tears streaming down her cheeks. It is the first time I've seen her break down like this. Probably hearing her. It shocks my whole system and halts all the functioning of my body. I'd heard from mom that she didn't even let a tiny drop of tears fall when her dad died. But now, why? Does she feel pain somewhere?

Maybe. I should inform the doctor to give her a shot or something to relieve her pain. Yeah, it's the best. Giving her a slight squeeze, I pull her hand off me and put it on the bed before rushing over. But her actions halt me midway and make me return to her, stopping her from removing all the tubes off her chest and out of her arm. "What are you doing?" I shout, trying to calm her as she keeps tearing the heart monitors off her chest and stomach. It will hurt too much to be sticky, but she doesn't care because she sets up her mind with something already.

"I-I need to go." Her voice is gruff, almost scratchy, after staying in the smoke and fire for a long time. Thankfully, nothing more happened because her friends were there at the right time and saved her. Or she would burn to ashes by now. Not caring about it a little, she throws her legs over the side of the bed and ignores the searing pain in her left one. Or at least she tries to, and immediately stumbles and starts to hit the floor if I'm not catching her.

"Please, don't do this, Jiejie." I wail, trying to grab her upper arm to help steady her and get her back into bed, but she pulls away and stands to her full height, careful not to put any weight on her hurt leg.

"You will never tell this if you know about him." She says it sternly, wiping her stained cheeks and thinking about something. Maybe try to bottle up her emotions again without sharing them with anyone. "I need to go." With that, she moves again and falls to the floor, hissing in pain.