Discovery

- Chapter 4
I should not be left to my own devices

They come with prices and vices

I end up in crisis (tale as old as time)

I wake up screaming from dreaming

One day I'll watch as you're leaving

'Cause you got tired of my scheming

(For the last time)

Anti Hero by Taylor swift

_____ Milene’s Camp ____

Milene was excited…

She has been giddy as she played with the memory of last night.

Aleksander…

He was very charming…..

Attraction was attach, reason unknown

It was unusual to see Milene get attach very fast

She met a lot of people,
Men that try to charm her. But of course she never swoons…

Her thought was cut off as she remembered what day it is today..

It is the day of the skiff….

Where her brother and best friend would enter the fold…

The Shadow Fold is an area in the geography where half of Ravka was  split,  the fold is incredibly dangerous, and through which only few travel. Which has left one side of the country in dire need of supplies and food while the other half flourishes.

She knows the history, it was after all  one of her story times for the children.The Shadow Fold was created around 400 years before by The Darkling, using merzost. For the reason everyone believed it was for power.

Milene feared the Shadow fold, it was unknown.. Dark.. something that has been told from parents to their children if they miss behaved.

“ The fold will punish those who are delinquent ;  they will face darkness and forever remain in the shadowness .

She feared for the two people she loves the most, going around the Fold is just as dangerous for the people of Ravka. To the North is the country of Fjerda, whose inhabitants believe Grisha are witches and should be hunted and killed. To the south is the country of Shu Han, which also has an antagonistic stance towards Ravka.

Too much negative thinking comes through her mind….

And yet the day just started…
With that off she goes to meet up with her best friend, Alina.

_ Cartographer camp ( Alina’s) _

“ Alina i want you to be very careful”

“ If you don’t want to go, i could make an excuse…” Milene continued. Ever since she stepped into Alina's room she hasn't stopped blabbering everything, from worrying about her or even tries to convince her to make her reconsider going into the fold.

“ Milene, calm down, you're talking too fast i can't”, Alina said but got cut off.

“ I can break your foot right now, or tho it was too cruel to do” Milene huff. “ Oh Alina, please for both of your sake please don’t go.”

“ And what with all the commotion? I could hear it from a mile away” Mal said as he entered the camp.

“ She tries to convince us not to go on the fold, she even volunteers to break my foot.” Alina replied as she gathered her things for the preparation going into the fold.

“ Relax lil sis, i’ll make sure both of us will be back in one piece, Or even better how about i bring back a head of a Volcra for souvenir”. Mal said jokingly and was punched by Milene for joking something ridiculous. There is no way he could do it.

____ Near the skiff ___

“Stop worrying so much. Maybe they’ll put Dubrov on the skiff. The volcra will take one look at that big juicy belly of his and leave us alone.”

Mikhael reassures Milene as they watch the big ship near the fold stands.

Unbidden, a memory came to her: Alina and her, sitting side by side in a chair in the Duke’s library, flipping through the pages of a large leather-bound book.

They’de happened upon an illustration of a volcra: long, filthy claws; leathery wings; and rows of razor-sharp teeth for feasting on human flesh. They were blind from generations spent living and hunting in the Fold, but legend had it they could smell human blood from miles away.

Without realizing it,she’d stopped walking, frozen in place, unable to shake the memory from her mind. When Mikhael realized she wasn’t with him, he gave a great beleaguered sigh and marched back to me. He rested his hands on my shoulders and gave me a little shake.

“Milene, come on. They’ll be fine.”

“You can’t know that.”

“Look at me.” she willed herself to raise her eyes to his. “I know you’re scared. I am, too. But They’re going to be fine. They always are. Okay?” He smiled, her heart felt reassured.

'Thinking the most positive was that her brother and her best friend will be safe'.

She rubbed my thumb over a bracelet, it was her sibling slash best friend bracelet on her right hand and took a shaky breath. “Okay,” she said grudgingly, and she actually felt myself smiling back.

A clatter of hooves and shouts split the air. Mikhael yanked me
to the side of the road just as a huge black coach roared past, scattering people before it as they ran to avoid the pounding hooves of four black horses. Beside the whip-wielding driver perched two soldiers in charcoal coats.

Aleksander.

The man she talked to last night. The man she was swooning this morning. Standing near the skiff wearing what looks like a black kefta.

Her heart beats loudly realizing who he was.

The Darkling………

or was known

as General Kirigan…

The second army’s General.

Disbelieving and scared she felt…..

She was discovered…..

Literally by the general himself. What could be worse than that.

Well it gets better….
Aleksander or General Kirigan was now staring at Milene.

now with familiarity and determination in his eyes......