The inbetween

We won the World Cup!

It's been 2 months, but it still hasn't fully sunk in. I honestly considered retiring the next day, go out on a high, but I would miss playing way too much. The days and weeks that followed the final were incredible but exhausting, Leah and I were paraded in front of the country as the new "it" couple. We did interview upon interview, and it seemed everyone wanted to know the timeline of our relationship and who from the team knew about us. The kiss, as it has been called, was on the front cover of every paper. We received a lot of teasing from the rest of the girls about it, but I would expect nothing less.

Eventually, after reliving every moment of the tournament, multiple times, we were released from our duties and were allowed some time off. Most of the team got on a plane and flew to sunny countries to lay on a beach for a week, and I couldn't blame them. For me, though, I will happily stay in England if the alternative is getting on another plane so soon. Leah was happy to do whatever as long as we got some time alone so I booked us a cottage in Devon with no phone service and no neighbours for miles, just us a hot tub and no obligation to wear any clothes. We spent the week getting to know each other more and decompressing, trying to flush out the adrenaline from our systems that had kept us going.

When we got back to the land of phone signal both of our phones instantly blew up with the requests for more appearances and invites to concerts and shows and offers from brands. I didn't have the energy just yet to jump back into it so I went home to see my family and friends and spend time with them, unfortunately Leah being the captain needed to be accessible as she carries a lot of the weight for moving the women's game to the next level on her shoulders. So for the first time since the first practice of camp I wouldn't be seeing Leah every day.

The time apart from each other was a good test for us, to see how do we do when we're not in each others pockets. We face timed and texted as much as we could, but I wanted to be present with my people, and she was very busy.

On the third day of being back with my family I had a call from Matt beard, my manager at Liverpool. "Hey y/n, how are you? I hope you're still keeping active on your time off"
"Of course boss, can't be slacking now"
"That's what I like to hear! I won't bore you with a load of small talk and I would have preferred to have this chat in person, but it can't wait"
"Okaaaay shoot"
"I want you to stay at Liverpool, I know how many clubs are approaching you and I know you have your eyes on Arsenal for more reasons than just football but I think it would be a mistake"
"I havent decided anything yet but yes Arsenal are the front runners I like how they work but I don't know if they are the right fit for me at the minute, I would go from being on the starting 11 here to a sub there"
"I have a proposition for you, we would like to extend your contract for 6 months
, play for us and be our captain. "
"6 months? I thought you said you wanted me to stay?"
"I want you to not feel trapped. If after 6 months you want to stay, we can talk about a longer extension, I don't want you to rush anything."

I didn't know what to do my heart is split, I have grown up being a Liverpool fan and playing for them has been a dream come true. I am also drawn to Leah, who has started to feel like home to me, and I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

"Okay, I will stay for 6 months. It would be my honour to be the captain." I made the decision before I could talk myself out of it. I will have to deal with the angry blonde, but this is the right decision for me.

Telling Leah went just about how I expected
"I thought you said you were signing for Arsenal, that the contract was as good as signed" we were in her flat in North London she finally had a couple days off and we wanted to spend as much time together as possible.
"I know, and it was, but I'm not ready to leave my club yet. I still have more I want to do there, and now I'm captain. It's my dream I couldn't turn it down"
"That's not what I'm pissed off about. I'm angry you didn't think to talk to me before you decided to sign a 6 month contract to a club the other side of the country"
"If I spoke to you I wouldn't have signed it" I sat next to her on the sofa and wiped a tear from her cheek with my thumb
"I needed to do this for me so that I won't have any regrets"

She pulls away from me, and I see her eyes change, harden

"You said you would follow me anywhere"
"Leah ..."
" I think you should go"
"Wait, what? Can't we talk this through?"
"Bit too late for that now, you've made your choice"
"I'll come back tomorrow when you've had time to think" I head towards the door
"Don't bother, you should go back to Liverpool!"
"Is that what you really want, to throw this, us, away like this after everything?
"I'm not the one throwing it away"
"Fine, I'm the bad guy, but I don't see you packing a bag signing for my team"
"Fuck you y/n"
"Goodbye Leah" I slammed the door behind me and drove straight home, the tears only falling as I closed my front door behind me.

That was a month ago. I haven't spoken to Leah since. Other than training, I haven't left my house. My social media has been blowing up with break-up rumours and pictures of Leah out with friends all labelled as her new girlfriend. Over the last few days I have started to feel better and even went out for dinner with a few teammates.

Tomorrow is the day that I have been dredding though, as tomorrow is the day we play Arsenal.