Game day

Leah pov

For the past month, I have tried my best to keep busy in order to distract my brain from thinking of y/n. That was the plan anyway, but no matter where I went or who I spoke to, I couldn't stop the feeling of wanting her with me. I regretted how I spoke to her the second the words left my mouth, but I was hurt. I know what the Internet
been saying about me dating the people I'm out with. They get more and more ridiculous each time, with the last being my own cousin.

Today we play Liverpool and with Kim being off with a twisted ankle, I'm captain for Arsenal. I haven't seen or spoken to her in a month now im going to be a foot away from her in the tunnel with a camera in our faces. Is it too late to call in sick?.

Y/ns pov

Travelling down the Borehamwood took forever, my nervous energy not only for the game but to see Leah has made me a little snappy to people so I have sat myself at the front of the coach and have my headphones in. We are currently unbeaten this season, I mean there's only been 2 games so far but it's still technically correct. I'm loving being the captain and I don't regret my decision to stay but I can still feel Leahs lips on mine when I close my eyes. I shake my head and take my headphones off I need to get focused for the game.

Pulling into the grounds there are fans waiting outside the greet us. I take a deep breath and put a smile on my face as I step off the coach
"Y/n please sign my shirt"
"Y/n can I get a picture please"
I try to sign as many shirts and take as many pictures as I can but there isn't enough time to get to everyone as the team is being moved along
" I can see why Leah left you, your ego is too big after the world cup" I hear someone from the back shout out. I stop walking and turn back ready to start an argument with whoever it was. Before I can take a step I feel an arm turn me around and go over my shoulder guiding me to the changing rooms.
"I know, I heard it too. Just ignore them they have no idea just how big your ego is now" she nudges me in the side and I have to laugh. Lauren hemp signed for Liverpool just before I took the extension. I had no idea at the time but its so nice to have a close friend around who knows what really happened.
"Careful, the rumour mill will have us dating now with the pictures of your arm around me" I can see her hesitate and start to pull her arm back but she stops and I see a thought pass through her eyes
"Let them think what they want, might make Leah a little jealous" I may be mistaken but I swear I saw a blush on her cheeks.

After changing we line up in the tunnel waiting for the arsenal team to come out. I feel a pat on my back and turn to see Beth smiling at me.
"Alright mate, long time no see! How comes you haven't texted me back"
I cant help but smile back at her I have missed her but I didn't want to put her in the middle of the break up knowing she was friends with Leah for a lot longer.
"I'm sorry, I haven't really been on my phone a lot" it wasn't exactly a lie
"We can catch up afterwards, good luck today"
" you too!" I give her a quick side hug and she walks back to join the line of her teammates starting to form next to us.

I am keeping a laser focus on the other side of the pitch directly in front of me, I will not give her the satisfaction of thinking I am looking back for her. Just a minute or so before we are called out I feel someone get in line next to me. Our goalie told me on the coach that she would squeeze my shoulders when she saw Leah, so when I felt the squeeze I had to fight everything in me to keep looking forward and not towards her.

Eventually the ref was ready and indicated for us to walk onto the pitch, 10 seconds later and I would have caved. It was a warm welcome and I can see our fans have travelled down to support us so I give them a little wave. Once we have done the team pictures I walk over to the ref for the coin toss. I get there after Leah who is looking down to the floor
"Right everyone ready?" We both nod to the ref
"Okay home team you can call it"
"Heads" the first time I'd heard her voice in a month. The coin is flipped and drops to the ground landing on tails
"Away team do you want the ball or to pick the side"
"We'll take the ball" I'm very impressed that my voice didn't crack 10 points for me
"Fine home team which side?"
"We'll stay as we are"
"Good luck to both of you" I reach out to shake the refs hand after Leah and then I am suddenly looking in to the eyes of the girl I still am very much in love with. She holds my gaze and reaches her hand to meet mine. I swear there was an electric current that passed through us when we shook. It was only for a second but I knew she felt it too from the look in her eyes. She gave a quick squeeze of my hand before letting go but I didn't look at her again before turning to join my team in the huddle.
" I don't care how we do it but I'm not leaving here without 3 points. Everyone with me?" I put my hand out in the middle of the huddle and feel 10 more hands put on top and break upwards. I can feel my body practically vibrating with energy. I look up to see Jordan whispering to Leah who looks my way. I laugh and shake my head I only have one focus and that's to win this game.

The whistle blows and the game begins, I make my way forward playing a more central position than I used to as hempo favours the left wing. That puts me right next to Leah. She's makes her way to me making sure to keep me closely marked.
"It's good to see you" the ball is being passed between my back 4 so the game isn't to us yet. I ignore the comment
"we should talk after the game." Again, I ignore her and take a few strides away to try to get into the game.
I see the pass come across from Lauren and her continued run and I can feel Leah just behind me so I can't turn instead I help the momentum of the ball with a backheel through her legs and onto hempo left foot she shoots but hits the cross bar.

Most of the game went back and forth both sides having chances but not being able to finish I have ignored Leah the whole game and I can see its getting to her, she getting sloppy with her clearances and I have intercepted a few of her passes. I am enjoying the game and have found a spark to keep fighting for the win. A goal kick is booted up field and is headed on to land at my feet, I spin and run towards their goal, I'm lining up my shot when I feel like I've been hit by a car and fall to the floor with Leah on top of me.
"What the fuck was that"
"Ohh now you talk to me"
The rest of my team has run up and is pushing the arsenal players away from us. Leah is pushed to the side and Lauren reaches down to pull me up
" you okay?"
"Of course, that ego of mine might be a bit bruised though"
" ahh I'm sure your big head cushioned your fall"
"I'm so glad you're here to keep me humble mate"
I see a couple of players being told off by the ref and a yellow card being shown to Katie McCabe, she must have been involved in the scrap.
The ref indicates for a free kick and Lauren steps up to take it. She swings it in to to top left corner and it narrowly misses the goal keepers outstretched hand flying into the back of the net. I run over to her and jump in to her open arms she catches me and lifts me up, I grab her face and kiss her forehead. Surrounded by our teammates, I could cry I'm so happy.

The ref blows for the restart but after a few seconds she blows the final whistle. 3 points away to Arsenal. What a team I have.

As I'm going around to the opposition, making sure to shake hands with them all, Beth jumps on me from behind and forces a piggyback
"So captain that was impressive, or just very lucky. Enjoy this moment because it won't happen again. "
"Ohh yeah, well see about that." I drop her down to the ground, and she walks next to me with her arm around my shoulders
"So I was serious about catching up. After you're changed, come grab a coffee in the lounge I've missed you,"
"I've missed you too. If we have time before we leave, I will,"

I get showered and changed quickly, hoping to pass through the interviews in record time to be back on the coach and heading home. As my luck would have it as I open the side door to the car park, I see the coach driver with a couple members of staff looking down at a flat tyre on the coach
"Looks like we're stuck for a bit y/n."
I walk away from them and pull out my phone opening WhatsApp I send Beth a picture on the tyre

Almost as deflated as you after that loss

Ha ha very funny! at least you have time for a coffee now

I'll meet you inside in 5

👍

It's just the two of us right?

See you soon y/n 😈