The chat

I walk into the lounge with Lauren and grab a cup of tea from the fancy machine. I scan the room and can't see Beth just yet
"Want me to wait with you until she gets here?"
"Nahh im alright, I'll catch up with you guys in a bit" she hesitates for a second but after I flash her a smile she walks off to join the rest of our team in the visitors section.
I can see a couple of the arsenal girls chatting on one of the tables, one of them nods to me and they turn my way. I wave at them but they just look back down and continue chatting.
I walk over to one of the tables near the windows and sit with my back to the door so I could look out onto the pitch. I love watching the grounds crew after a game, making sure to repair any damage caused by the game. It's very calming  knowing it can be repaired no matter how torn up it gets.

I sit for a couple minutes, before Iopen my phone up to send Beth a text letting her know im here. As I'm about to press send I hear steps coming closer from behind. She pulls out the seat across from me and sits down.
"Queue for the showers? I thought I was being stood up" I look up expecting to see Beth, but instead, another blonde has taken her place
"Still fascinated with watching the grounds team, I see,"
"Leah,"
"Hey kid," the nickname she has for me, sending an aching pain to my heart. Her hair is still a little wet from the shower, and she has changed into an arsenal tracksuit. She gives me such a gentle smile that I have to fight my face to not return it.
"I'm guessing you put Beth up to this?" I push my chair back and start to stand up. She reaches across the table and grabs my arm
"Wait, please, y/n, I didn't know you were here. Beth asked me to meet her here, and when I saw you sat by yourself, I realised what she'd done. I was going to leave, but I think we need to talk. "
"I don't have anything to say."
"Well, I do, so please sit down."
Reluctantly, I take a seat, and she lets go of my arm, the warmth from her hand still lingering.
"I haven't got long, I need to get back to my team." I nod in the direction they are sitting. Leah follows the direction, looking for longer than normal
"So you and Lauren are getting close, I saw a video of you two walking in together. She had her arm round your shoulders. "
"Is this really what you wanted to talk about?"
"No, but the way she's looking over at us, I couldn't help but ask."
I decide to ignore her comment, I'm not going to make her feel better by telling her we're just friends, I don't owe her anything.
"I miss you." I wasn't expecting her to say that, and I eyes snap up to see her looking down, fiddling with the napkin on the table. It came out as an almost whisper, and I had to make sure I heard correctly
" What?" She looks up and meets my gaze
"I miss you y/n" This time, I hear loud and clear
"What am I supposed to say to that?" I'm still angry she sent me away, and the feeling of being shut out clouds any feeling of love I have left for her
"You don't have to say anything, I just needed you to know,"
" You can't miss me that much. You're only talking to me now because we had a match. There's been no attempt at contact,"
"I was hurt." The feeling of rage is bubbling. I can feel it like bile in my throat. I swallow and take a deep breath, giving myself a few seconds for my mental filter to kick in to stop me from saying something I would regret
"You were hurt? Leah, you're the one that ended us. I wanted to work together and find a solution. "  I can feel the tears stating to well, and I didn't want her to see me cry
"I was wrong to do what I did, I can see that now. I want to try to fix this. I want you. " She reaches across the table and holds my hand. I have to swallow against the lump in my throat and pray that my voice doesn't shake when I talk.
"It's too late, I've moved on." With that, I pull my hand out of hers and stand up.
"Y/n sorry to interrupt, but the tyre has been fixed. It's time to go,"
"Perfect timing"
"Leah, it's good to see you been a while,"
"Alright, Hempo, I see you're keeping a close eye on y/n."
"Happy captain,  happy team,"
"y/n ill call you"
"Goodbye, Leah," finishing the conversation with the last words I said in our relationship seemed cathartic in some way. I was walking away knowing that I didn't crumble and come running back because she said she missed me.
I turn and walk away and feel Lauren slip her hand in mine, giving me a comforting squeeze, I don't pull my hand away as it feels nice. I turn to look back to Leah and see her staring at our hands. I've seen that look on her before. Jealously. Good let her be jealous, im in a bitter mood.

Getting back on the coach and pulling away from the grounds, I should be celebrating the win, but I can't get 3 words out of my head. I want you. The truth is I want her too, badly, but my walls are up, and I need to protect my heart for now.

I pull out my phone and text Beth

????

Don't be mad please, you two needed to talk

I'm not mad at you, well I am, but I know it was meant with good intentions

How did it go?

About as well as your singing career

Oooooft that bad?

Let's just say I'm not looking forward to the next England camp

Leahs pov

Watching y/n walk away holding hands with Lauren felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I could see that she still had feelings for me. She wouldn't be so mad if she didn't still care.
I will do everything I can to make this right between us, I will get my girl back.
Just then, Beth walks into the lounge, holding her hands up in  surrender
"I come in peace"
"I'm not mad at you, I'm glad you did what you did. It gave me a chance to see she still cares. "
"So, not a total shit show?" She's looking down at her phone replying to a text
"I mean, it wasn't exactly pleasant but a good first step. It's only a couple weeks to the next England camp, so that's something to look forward to. "
Beth laughs and looks up from her phone
"What?"
"Nothing, I just think you might have more making up to do than you think"