Bag of Bones

This chapter is based on Bag of Bones by ZZ Ward

Baby, when you are beside me
It's like we're walking on stars
Baby, when you are inside me
You know we light up the dark

I never needed nobody
I hear your train on the tracks
You snuck right in, caught you, caught it
No falling in love, and it's too late to fall back

The sound of heels clicking announce the entry of Fallon in the dining room.

Sam and Kirby stop their conversations to watch the brunette take her seat at the table and pour herself some green juice. Her face is clear of emotions and they can help but stay put, waiting for her next move.

“What?” Fallon snaps after a sip of her glass and a spoon from her salad fruit. “I can see you two staring at me. If you continue I’m afraid it will dig holes in to my clothes” she gestures for the pink Dior dress she’s wearing.

“Nothing” they both say simultaneously.

“No bacon this morning?” Kirby questions eyeing her. “Or coffee?”

She shakes her head while continuing eating her fruit. “Nope. I’ve decided to make new choices in my life, so I’m trying to be more healthy from now on”

“And no Liam talk?” Sam asks narrowing his eyes, finding her behavior odd. She glares at him and he huffs. “What? Everytime we talk, ninety percent of our conversation is about him or schemes to make him fall in love with you again. Forgive me if I’m just confused”

She shakes her head. “No, you’re right. I admit I can get obssessive about certain things, Liam included. But I can assure you the L topic won’t be in our conversations anymore”

Sam gasps. “Does this mean you finally worked things out with him? Can I help plan the nursery? I’m just really excited about a baby in the house” he claps.

“Wait a minute” Kirby intervenes, looking between Fallon and Sam “A baby? Fallon, you’re pregnant?”

Fallon groans. “Okay, new rule: no one is allowed to ask me if I’m pregnant. One, is impolite. Two, even if I was, that would be my business and my decision if I wanted people to know”

“So no baby?” Sam pouts.

“No Sam, no baby” Fallon puts a grape at her mouth, trying to keep it full so she wouldn’t say things she shouldn’t say.

“I’m just confused. Why would there be a baby if you’re not pregnant?” Kirby steps in again.

“There wouldn’t. Sam just have a very fertile imagination. See what you just did here?” She glares at Sam, pointing her head to Kirby and he rolls his eyes.

“Fine” he concedes, drinking his juice “Then can we talk about why we aren’t talking about Liam?”

Fallon takes a moment to breathe, putting her elbows on the table and supporting her head with her intertwined hands, her conversation with Crystal still replaying in her head. “I’ve decided to finally hear what everyone has been telling me all these months. I’m taking a step back and let time do it’s thing”

There’s silence in the room, the only noise coming from Sam’s mouth.

“Who are you and what you did with Fallon?” Sam asks shocked, sticking a piece of banana bread inside his mouth.

“I’ve told you, I’m trying to be healthier. And this include my love life too. In front of you, there’s a new version of me. I might even join Alexis in her spin class later today”