𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥

I go to my car to change, because I'm not sure I can handle another second being in the same room as Blake alone. I shift into the backseat and struggle to peal myself out of my clothes, before realising I have way over an hour now, because of Blake's untimely arrival. If he hadn't showed up at the rink, I would still be practicing right now, which annoys me because it was one of those rare good practices, those ones where I am reminded so much of why I love to skate. I had become so lost in my routine that I hadn't even heard him come in, so God knows how long he was there. It isn't even something I want to think about.

With a sigh, I struggle into my change of clothes and climb back onto the front seat, rooting around in my bag for my mascara and lip balm. Once finding them, I take my time to apply both, using my car's overhead mirror to guide me. Usually, I just pop on as much as I can in what little time I have, yet now, when I lean back to look at myself, I actually like the outcome. My lashes look long and thick, curling upwards, and my lips look less dry and instead plump. I remind myself, however, that these are only small details I could notice- nobody looks at anybody hard or long enough to pick up on them. With a sigh, I replace my makeup with my hairbrush, wincing as I pull out my hair. Sometimes I give up and leave it in a ponytail all day, but seeing as I have time to kill I commit to brushing it, teasing out every last knot. When I'm satisfied with how I look, I chuck my bag in the back, turn my playlist on and drive out onto the main street, singing my heart out to Lana Del Ray.

Before I know it, I'm driving up to Starbucks, and I debate actually going in and sitting down rather than picking up my usual drink. Deciding I have nothing better to do, I pull into the car park, reverse into a space and hop out of my car, walking into the store. Lips pursed, I make my way up to the counter, finding it to be completely empty besides myself and the employee behind the counter, who has their back to me. In all fairness, it's only 7, and school doesn't even open until 8. I shift my weight from one side of my hip to the other and speak up.

"Um, hi-"

The employee startles and spins around, and I blink, recognising him. He's on the hockey team, which is an instant red flag. I've never actually spoken to him before, as he mostly stays quiet and smiles at the jokes made by the team's captain and his lapdog, Tyler. I think his name is Jay, and I've seen him hanging out with Cameron a few times. Jay is tallish, perhaps 6", with dark tan skin, blackened curly hair and a surprisingly dazzling smile, which he offers me in an apologetic manner. He speaks, and his voice is deepened and smooth.

"My bad, you startled me- we don't get many people around at this hour, and it's..er, you."

"Me?"

"Oh! I just, erm, I see you around, so- you know."

I smile as he reaches to sheepishly rub the back of his neck, finding it cute how embarrassed he is. Normally, I've only ever seen him act like the rest of his team, yet seeing him alone makes him appear like a completely different person.

"I get it- it's weird seeing anyone from the rink outside of the ice or school."

Jay's smile becomes more casual, his gaze relieved as though he is pleased I actually seem to understand what he's trying to say. He nods.

"Exactly. Anyway- can I get you anything?"

He gestures a hand towards the array of cakes and pastries lined on display for customers, and my gaze is drawn towards his hand, which is decorated with various thick silver rings. I notice he has one just like Cameron's, and Tyler's..and Blake's. Perhaps everyone on their team has one of their own. I wonder who organised something like that- it's nice.

"Um, yeah- I croissant and a flat white, please."

"Alrighty."

I reach to hold my phone up to the till, apple pay open on the screen. However, Jay shakes his head and waves his hand in a dismissive manner. I raise a brow as he speaks, his tone kind.

"It's on the house."

"Only if it won't get you in trouble with your boss."

"My boss isn't here."

Jay responds with a slight teasing manner to his voice, though he's spun with his back facing me once more to prepare my drink. I laugh and move to walk to the end of the counter, waiting patiently for him to be done. He finishes preparing the drink and reaches to grab a pair of tongs, using them to take a croissant from the front display and place it into a small paper bag. He then slides both my drink and the bag across the counter to me. I look up to meet his gaze and smile. He's much nicer than I expected, and I surprise myself, because I find him attractive.

"Thank you, Jay."

He looks surprised.

"You know my name?"

"Of course."

He looks genuinely shocked, though incredibly pleased. All I did was remember his name, but he looks as though he's received a puppy for Christmas. I can't help but let out a slight laugh, reaching to take my drink and the paper bag, before stepping back.

"It was good to talk to you, Jay. Thanks for the free stuff."

He nods, and I offer him a grin, before turning on my heel to walk back out of the shop and to my car. It isn't until I sit down and look down at the cup that I realise he's written something in black marker across the cardboard. It's a number- his number. I smile like a little girl with a crush and quickly reach for my phone, putting his contact into it. Then, I glance at the time, noting that I might actually end up being late. So, I focus on driving out of the car park and back onto the main street in the direction of school. The interaction in Starbucks was entirely unexpected, but it makes me forget all about Blake's appearance at the rink. For now, at least.