𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥

By the time myself and Lou arrive at the party, it's in full swing. We haven't even reached the front door, and there's people strewn about the front lawn, rolling around on the driveway, making out and throwing up into the bushes. Lou flashes me an amused smile over her shoulder as we weave our way into the house. It's packed, a flow of people moving up and down the hallway, voices raised to be heard over blaring music. How Tyler's parents can tolerate parties like this, I have no idea- the whole place must be trashed by morning. I've already noticed a good twenty plastic cups on the floor, other random items discarded. Still, I'm in need of a drink and a good time. After everything that's happened this week, I need a break. That being said, I know I can't get too ahead of myself, because tomorrow's competition day. 

"Lou! April!" 

A voice shouts from inside the kitchen as we pass, and we both stop. Cam is stood with a group of friends from school, drink inside, beckoning for us to join him. I glance at Lou, and she nods. Slowly, we walk across to Cam. It's pretty obvious he's drunk by the way he can't seem to stand fully upright, his arm slung around Jackson's shoulder. Jackson offers me a drink, and I smile politely. 

"I'll get my own, thanks."

He nods, responding with a quick, "You can never be too careful, huh?". 

I laugh nervously, mostly because that's exactly it- you really can never be too careful, even with people you know. I turn on my heel to the counter and pour both myself and Lou a rum and coke. Lou, who is chatting to the group around us, takes it, distracted. I turn my attention back to Jackson, sipping at my drink. 

"Why aren't you out the back?"

He shrugs. "It was boring- not enough people." 

I raise a brow. The back is as close to a VIP club as Bluestown can get- only the Hockey players and those they invite will ever be allowed into the garden. They won't exactly throw any 'outsiders' out for going there, but they'd be ignored, probably gossiped-about the next day. Hence, there's a sort of unspoken rule. Invite-only. Jackson shifts to peel Cam's arm from off his shoulder, to which Cam slumps back and goes wondering off, probably to attempt to start conversation with Lou, who has already disappeared into the house. I can't blame her, though- it is a red lipstick night. Eventually, it's just me and Jackson. He's quite tall, with short blackened hair and almost odd grey eyes. I could see how girls like him, but he's always been a friend...kind of. He can be a bit of an asshole, especially when he's with his friends. On his own, though, he's fairly nice. He leans back and gives me a funny look. 

"You wanna go out there with me?"

I pause to think, then look around, still sipping lightly at my drink. It's disgusting, so I figure the less I drink at a time, the slower I'll notice it. A brief thought of having to see Blake outside crosses my mind, but I push it away- I won't let him ruin my fun. 

"Sure."

He grins, then offers a hand out to me. I take it, knowing that if I don't keep us connected, we'll lose each other in the hallway. Even in heels, most of the guys here have a few inches on me. He leads me around the house, and it takes us a good five minutes to get to the back door. We keep pausing to talk to one of Jackson's friends, and even a couple of mine, all of which are overjoyed to talk to one of the better-known hockey players, congratulating him on the team's win. He grimaces at the few mentions of it, and I know it's because he blames himself for the two goals that slipped past him during the game. I still think he did great. Eventually, we manage to reach the back door, and we step outside. The cool night air hits me, a nice refresher after being inside the hot, sticky indoors. There's a speaker out here, but it's playing slower music. A small firepit has even been lit in the centre of a circle of garden chairs, filled with girls and guys I recognise. Jackson offers me a closed beer from a cooler, which I take, allowing him to lead me over to the group. We sink down beside one-another on the last open couch, and a few of the boys lift their heads to drop a few 'Hey, Jackson.'s and 'April Fools!'s. None of the girls say anything to me, but a few offer me small smiles. Their attention is mostly focused on whoever they're sitting with, because they know they won't be invited back outside again if they're 'boring'. It's so patriarchal, it makes me want to be sick. And yet, here I am, conforming to it. 

I lift one leg, crossing it over the other whilst Jackson cracks open my beer. I give myself a moment to properly look around the circle, and my gaze lands on one couple curled up in the corner, their faces shielded in shadow. Eventually, they take a break from eating at each others' faces to breathe and slot themselves into the small talk around them, and I have a glimpse at who they are. One is a girl I know instantly, because she's been in a strong majority of my categories at competitions for awhile now. Selfishly, my heart swells with slight pride, as I know she hasn't beaten me once. Mackenzie. Perhaps that's why she's here, to compete tomorrow. I shift, looking to the guy. And- ah. 

Blake lifts a hand to brush Mackenzie's hair aside, his hand resting against her thigh. He doesn't look too excited, in fact, he looks bored. And yet, she's still with him. I knew he's get over the whole...whatever we had...quickly, but I didn't know it would be this quick. My chest tightens, and I look away, uncomfortable. Hours ago, just this morning, those had been by arms wrapped around his neck, my lips on his. Not his. I stare at the fire, silent, oblivious to the conversation floating around me. That is, until, Tyler speaks. 

"And...in honour of our very special guest, April...we have to play Truth or Dare." 

The mention of my name catches my attention, and I look up. Blake does so simultaneously, and I see him looking at me out of the corner of my eye. He's staring as though he's only just noticed I'm there, only just clocked that I can see the girl on his lap. Lucas, who is sitting beside Jay and another girl, nods towards me. 

"That means you're up first, April Fools. Truth or Dare?"

All eyes flip to me, and I suddenly feel like a deer in the headlights. I take a moment, finish off my beer, then speak. 

"Dare."

"...Take your shirt off...and keep it like that for the rest of the game."

This was Jay. My blood boils, but I feel the immense pressure of those around me, and that alongside the alcohol in my system has me reaching for my shirt before I can even think. It's over my head and off in a second, and I'm sitting there in my black lace bra. Tyler places a hand on his forehead and pretends to faint, while Jay looks incredibly proud of himself. The rest of the group laugh, some of the girls looking furious with me. My cheeks flush, and it doesn't take me long to realise how stupid I'm being. Then, something is blocking my vision. It's a pair of legs..attached to a torso..with a neck..and Blake's head. He looks pissed, and reaches to grab my shirt, holding it out to me. I glance around him, and Mackenzie's glaring, now seated alone. Everyone has gone silent. And then, he speaks, low and demanding.

"Put it on, April." 

"No."

Dramatic gasps from the group. Eye roll from Blake.

"No?"

"You heard me."

"Don't be stupid."

"Me? Stupid?"

We stare at each other, then I reach and snatch my shirt from him. However, I don't put it back on, just to spite him. Or perhaps I'm drunk. Instead, I move to rise to my feet and walk away. Someone grasps my wrist, and I look down. Mackenzie hisses at me. 

"You're a slut."

I say nothing. Instead, I pull my hand away and manage to keep walking until I'm inside, when I finally tug my shirt back over my head- it wasn't as though the shirt covered much anyway, and the bra is the same as wearing a bikini. Except, there's something so much more intimate about bras- they're only for certain people to see. Drunk and annoyed, I broke that. 

I need to find Lou, and I need to go home.