new discoveries

hey y'all! hope ur having a splendid new year!!!

tbh i've kinda forgotten abt this fic.....buuut im here anyway w this update and maybe I'll post some more. but pls comment what u think! that's how i get half my inspiration anyway dhjgsjasgkk anyway thanks for sticking around!

It wasn't so bad to have an archenemy who he rarely ever saw. Sword practice, though...he hated it forever, now.

("How come Annabeth gets a real knife and I don't?"

She stuck her tongue out at him. "Because I'm an actual warrior. You're just a wannabe who hasn't fought a real monster in his life."

"How do you know? I stabbed a fu—I mean, a Kindly One with a glass bottle—"

"And how many times was it? Exactly. I've done this like, a thousand times. Leave the real work to the grownups.")

Annabeth was too smug, too sure of herself, too...Annabeth. Meanwhile, Luke was the only middle ground. He'd coax them away when they began to fight during Ancient Greek, or when Percy would be in archery and she'd taunt him about how much he sucked. Yeah, Luke was his only salvation, maybe.

And so were the naiads, thank the gods.

He had sort of forgotten about them—until the second day of the Annabeth vs Percy war, when he'd jumped into the lake waters and found Kaia, the golden-haired naiad. She was all too elated to have him back.

("Oh, sweetie," Eula would sigh, shining aqua green under the afternoon light. "That's just how they are. Those daughters of Athena. Annoying and prideful.")

It made sense that they were enemies, they said. Poseidon and Athena were rivals. With this in mind, his hate was fueled once more. He even got the Hermes kids (except Luke, obviously) to prank her cabin. One day, Annabeth woke up with pink hair. Even Grover thought it was funny.

"You need to stop, though," Grover was saying as he followed Percy further into the woods that surrounded the Canoe Lake. "First of all, she's seriously not that bad—"

"I don't believe you."

Grover made a frustrated sound but continued, "And secondly, if you two don't sort this out, she's gonna do even worse pranks to you. Capture the flag is coming up, and you don't know how excited she is—and she's probably gonna spy on you 'cause Athena is gonna go against Hermes and you're her enemy number one. So, she could figure...stuff about you, because that's just how she is."

"How do you know that?"

The twigs from behind Percy stopped snapping. He sighed, glancing over his shoulder to find Grover with his arms crossed over his chest. "Because I'm also her protector, Percy. I guided her and Luke and, and...I guided them to camp. I just know her well, okay?"

"Okay," Percy said, "but I'm careful. About my secret. You'll see! That's why we're close to the lake; I wanna show you something."

Grover didn't look convinced, but he trudged along anyway. Finally Percy found a secluded corner, where a tree blocked them from camp like an imposing giant.

"You know what? Now that I think about it, you never showed me much of your powers," Grover said.

"I don't know much, either. The naiads say I've got a lot to learn and my powers haven't matured yet, but they still taught me some tricks!"

"Woah, uh—what? Naiads? You've befriended the naiads and you didn't tell me?"

"It happened when you were gone, G-man, and anyway, I'm telling you know. It's really fun to visit them, actually!"