Chapter 5

RAW:

"So you're telling me, you don't have a flaw?"

I shrug as I joke, "Not one that I can think of."

Seth smirks. "You're conceited, Asher Brooke."

I laugh. "Hey, you know my parents."

Me and Seth had been texting back and forth and talking all week after our date, and I had learned a lot about him. Like the fact that he didn't want to turn on Dean and Roman, but my dad made him. He also told me that the "You Sold Out" chants kinda stung, but he dealt with them, because he loved the business.

"Do you still love the business?" Seth had asked me at SmackDown.

I had to think about it for a moment before I answered. "I think when you do something like this, your passion, you can never truly stop loving it." I told him. "You can get annoyed with it, but you never stop loving it."

"Ashie Poo!" I hear, and me and Seth turned towards the sound. I see Shawn walking down the hall with my dad.

"Shawnee!" I say, and run towards him to give him a hug.

Seth comes up behind me, and my dad puts an arm around him. "Shawn, this is Seth Rollins."

"It's a pleasure to meet you sir," Seth says reaching out his hand.

Shawn shakes it. "Oh, I've heard about you. You've had quite an impressive run."

Seth has a big smile on his face. "Thank you, that means a lot coming from you."

Shawn turns to me. "You haven't gotten yourself into more trouble have you Mac?"

"Trouble?" My dad asks. Oh no. Please don't say anything Shawn.

"Saw her at Starbucks last week, tripped and spilt coffee all over herself. I caught her, but it was still hilarious."

My father looks at me. "Sweetheart, you didn't tell me you went to Starbucks. When was this?"

I open my mouth to tell him, but Shawn beats me to it. "Around midnight, on Monday." His phone rings and he looks at it. "Excuse me, I gotta take this. Hello," he says into his phone and walks away.

My dad turns to Seth. "You have a match. I suggest you go prepare for it."

Seth glances at me and then back at my dad. "Yes sir. I'll go do that now."

When he leaves my dad turns to me. "Midnight? What were you doing there at that time of the night?"

"Just getting some coffee."

He stares at me. "You lying to me?"

I shake my head. "No, Dad."

He looks down as he speaks to me. "Listen, I saw that look in your eyes when you looked at Seth. Stay away from him you hear me?"

"Dad..."

"I mean it." We glare at each other.

"Alright I'm back." Shawn says. "Did I miss something?"

"No, not at all." He breaks our staring contest and turns to Shawn. "Come on Shawnee, I have some more people I want you to meet."

He nods. "You know I'm always up for meeting people." Shawn pinches my cheeks. "Catch you later, Itty Bitty H." He drapes an arm over my dad's shoulder. "Lead the way." I watch them walk away, agitated.

"I'm not a child, dad." I mutter to myself. He doesn't hear me, but even if he did...he wouldn't listen.

-----------------------------------
I knock and peek my head in. "Mom?"

"Come in, Sweetie." She was at her desk, scribbling something down. I walk in and sit down at the chair in front of her.

"Mom, can I..." she holds up a hand. She puts her pen down and looks up at me.

"This is about Seth isn't it?"

"How'd you know?"

She smiles, "Mother's intuition. Look Honey, your father and I love you, you know that right?" I nod. "And you do realize we're only looking out for you?" I nod again. "So believe me when I tell you that you shouldn't associate with Seth outside of work."

I stand up. "Why? Mom, I like Seth. He's sweet, he's smart, he's funny, he-"

"He's off-limits. You're a McMahon-Helmsley, and we can't have you dating your employees."

I shake my head. "They're not my employees, Mom, they're my co-workers. And I'm not going to be the heir to this throne that you and dad sit so high and mighty on top of and the sooner you realize that the better."

I leave without another glance in her direction. She doesn't come after me, which is probably a good thing.

Her silence...something I've always treasured over her hurtful words.