you're back - emily prentiss

tw: kidnapping, torture
summary: Emily thought you died, so how come you're sitting in a police station?

tw: kidnapping, torturesummary: Emily thought you died, so how come you're sitting in a police station?

———

Not many people know, but Emily Prentiss has -had- a daughter. Y/N Prentiss, loved by everyone that saw her. She was a sunshine, lighting up a room when she stepped in it. But the sun isn't always shining.

You were only 13.

When Emily found out you were kidnapped, her world collapsed. You were just a child. Her little girl.

The team did everything they could. They searched months for you, almost 2 years, but with no luck. No trace of you. Nothing. Nobody saw you. Nobody knew where you were.

After 3 years the case went cold, well not for the BAU, they still searched, but not that anyone knew. But your disappearance broke the whole team. You were the BAU kid, you were family. They held a funeral for you with an empty casket. No one dared to say it, but they all lost hope. Hope finding you. Hope finding you alive.

It's been 6 years since your kidnapping. Emily always blamed herself. She's your mother, she is supposed to protect you, but she couldn't. She lost herself in grief and self-hatred.

She is pushed out of her bubble when she hears her phone ringing. She accepts the call and sees Hotch going to Morgan.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is the LA Police Department, is this Emily Prentiss?"

She scrunshed her eyebrows, "Yes, this is her. Why are you calling me?"

The voice responds, "Well, here is a girl. She looks very fragile, scared, probably hurt, but she won't let us look at her, she wanted us to call you."

Emily has this sinking feeling in her stomach, "Uhm, do you have a name?"

"Well, she said her name is Y/N Prentiss." and with that her phone falls from her hands and shatters to the ground.

The team looks at her, heavy breathing, glossy eyes. "Prentiss, everything okay?" Hotch asks. She looks up and sees the concerned faces from everyone. "She- It was the L-LA Police Department. Uh- There is a girl th-there. Y/N is there." she says unable to form sentences.

JJ lets out a gasp and Spencer lets his face fall. "Derek, get Garcia. We're going to LA." Hotch orders Morgan, while he gets Rossi. JJ makes her way over to Emily and puts her hand on her shoulder. "Emily.." "JJ, what if- what if it's not her?" she asks in a shaky voice. "We will see, okay? Everything's going to be alright." JJ responds, not having a good answer for Emily, because what if it's really not Y/N Prentiss and it's someone else making a cruel joke?

On the flight to LA, it is very quiet, everyone in their own mind.

Emily thinks about you. Is it really you? How is this possible? After 6 years. Is her little girl back? She doesn't know if she should feel happy, because at the moment she is scared. Scared for you, for what you went through, for what happened to you. Do you still recognise her, will she recognise her daughter? All this is going through her head, but the only consistent thing is, you might be back.

Emily gets more nervous on the ride to the Police Department. Her hands can't stop shaking and she is so in her head that she doesn't realise they are there.

When they get into the Department an police officer introduces himself and tells the team to follow him.

They all follow him to an interrogation room with a two-way mirror, and sitting in that room is you. They all look at you. Emily looks at you. You look so different, it's not just that you grew up, it's the way your eyes look empty. At seeing you for the first time again, Emily has to cover her mouth with her hands, the others are not better, JJ has tears in her eyes, Spencer is shaking, Derek isn't moving and Rossi and Hotch look like they want to break something. Emily sobs into her hands, she would recognize her daughter everywhere. She recognizes you. You're back.

After a few minutes, Emily asks to go into the room. She gets the yes and with shaky hands she opens the door.

You don't know how long you've been sitting there, but you can suddenly hear a door open and you look up. Your mouth widens and you get tears in your eyes. There standing in the doorway is your mother. Emily Prentiss, she looks older and sad.

"Mom?" you whisper and that's all it takes for you to stand up and rush to her. She takes her arms and puts them around you. She hears your cries in her arms and she wants to take all the pain away from you. She promises herself, that she will never let you go again.

You don't know how long you stand like that, but after some time you pull back, but Emily still has her arms around you.

"6 years," Emily whispers "6 years and you're finally in my arms again. I missed you so much." you give her a watery smile and hug her again.

Emily sits down with you, but she is still holding your hand. And you know what happens know, you know she will ask questions, and you know you can give them, but it still hurts so damn much. Meanwhile Emily can get the first good look at you and she is shocked. You have bruises and cuts littering your arm, you look so little. Your eyes are sunken in and you are so pale.

"Y/N," Emily begins "what happened to you?"

You don't really trust your voice, but you try anyway, "It was after school. I wanted to go home, and the next thing I remember is waking up in an cold, empty room. I was so scared, mom." you let the tears flow.

"At first I was all alone, but then he came. He did things to me, mom. He did not touch me, but he had fun hitting me, cutting me, starving me. He did so many things. And he said it was, because I laughed too much that day. He said I was too happy, he wanted to take the happiness away from me. And he did. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." you say again and again.

Emily takes your face between her hands and wipes your tears away, "Hey, none of that." she says with a soft tone, "Nothing of this is your fault, alright? You did nothing wrong, you were just a child. You were a little kid and he was a monster, and I promise you I will find him and kill him myself."

"You promise?" you ask.

"I promise you that."