12. Take Your Best Shot

Harwin woke and tried to memorize Vaera's perfect face. He stared at her holding her closer. He didn't want to leave. He shouldn't have punched Criston. He would get back to Vaera. He had to.

Vaera woke up when she felt the sheets go slack and saw Harwin getting ready. She pulled her robes on and moved to him wrapping her arms around him.

"Don't go. I have a bad feeling.' Vaera whispered resting her cheek on his back.

"I'm going to come back to you. I promise." He kissed her gently and held her tightly. He moved to the crib and picked up Vizzy. "Daddy is going to miss you little man..." Harwin whispered kissing his little head.

"This is hard." Vaera whimpered. "Don't go. I can hide you. There are passageways in the castle-"  Vaera began but he kissed her silencing her. "I love you... I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go."

+

''Be good to your mother, lads. I'll visit when I can. But that may be some time.'' Gael remarked looking down at the boys. ''Jace. I will return... I promise.''

''I will be a stranger when we meet again.'' Jace said softly as Gael hugged him goodbye.

''Princess.'' Gael whispered as he headed out

''We will exchange letters by raven. Won't that be fun?'' Rhaenyra questioned as they watched Gael leave.

''Is Gael Strong my father? Am I a bastard?' Jace questioned looking up at her.

''You are a Targaryen. That's all that matters.'' Rhaenyra corrected

+
"You did this." Vaera whispered

"Vaera-"

"Criston." She whimpered. "Why?"

"Vaera he-"

"You." She corrected. "You were my friend and then you became Maleficents pet. Now this. He's leaving because of you..."

"Vaera I didnt mean to hurt you."

"But you did." Vaera told him.

"I'm sorry vaera."

"Sorry doesnt cut it."

"He will be back before you know it. Right?" Vaera stared back at him. "I was doing my job Vaera..."

"We used to be friends." Vaera reminded him. "We were civil."

"I didnt make him go. I didnt ask for this. His father decided it." Criston reminded her.

Vaera stared back at him gnawing at the inside of her cheek.

"I was jealous." He admitted "but I know how you love him I wouldnt send him away because it would hurt you." Criston said honestly. "I pushed him and his brother and I got a beating for it." He reminded her. "But vaera I didnt want him to leave because I didnt want to see that sad face im seeing now. I hate those sad eyes."

"I'm mad at you." Vaera whispered.

"You wanna hit me too?" Criston offered. "Take your best shot. I deserve it." Vaera raised a fist and tapped it against his chest. "I know you pack a harder punch than that." Criston mused.

"Criston I have a bad feeling about this. I dont want him to go. I begged father but Lyonel is set in his mind." Vaera whispered. "Tell me the truth from now on." Vaera demanded. "I dont want you starting fights again." Criston couldnt help but chuckle

"Vaera I promise to tell you the truth no matter what."

"The good bad and ugly. I need to know everything so I dont lose anyone I love." Vaera told him.