Chapter Nineteen

Draco reclines with a happy sigh, watching Scorpius struggle with his tent.

"Sure you don't want help?"

"Bugger off."

Potter's shoulders shake in silent laughter, only barely managing to stay neutral. He's seated beside Draco, also enjoying Scorpius's insistence that he can do this the Muggle way, thank you very much.

Potter's tent has already been put up, because Teddy is not so bloody headstrong.

"Might be time to call it quits," Teddy says. He's standing up, which gives the illusion of helping, but so far, Scorpius has only let him read the instructions. "Gran taught me a spell that'll have it up in seconds.

"Give the boy a chance," Blaise protests, the last of their motley crew at the moment. He blows over his mug of coffee to cool it, a wide grin on his face. "He's barely had time to get a hang of it."

The sun is now tipping over into the west portion of the sky, which means they've been watching for over an hour.

"Thank you, Uncle Blaise. I'm sure I've nearly got it."

Then, Scorpius sneezes, and he drops the top edge of the fabric into a heap on the grass once more.

They are not the only ones putting up tents — they aren't even the only ones with party members set on doing it sans magic — but they are the only ones whom everybody seems to be watching from afar, confusion and captivation clear on their faces.

He's glad the reporters aren't paying them any attention yet. Well, except for Luna, anyway. She'd snapped a few pictures of Scorpius's progress throughout the day, but right now she's busy interviewing the other people on the moor, asking why they're here, and encouraging them to stay for the evening, rather than leaving after the press conference.

"There!" Scorpius declares, finally satisfied.

He's looped one pole through the fabric.

"Done?" Teddy asks hopefully.

"Don't be ridiculous. We're just getting started."

"You tell him, boy!" Blaise chortles. Then, in a lower voice to Potter, "You know, I've always been a huge fan of art."

Draco rolls his eyes. Here we go.

"Oh?" says Potter. He doesn't sound nearly wary enough.

"If you're flirting," Draco interrupts, "you'd better up your ante. Else he's not going to notice."

"Got experience with that, do you?"

Draco snorts, but Potter looks scandalised. "I don't need experience to know flirting with you is out of his repertoire," Draco says.

Blaise beams, and he throws Potter a wink. "I'm a very good teacher. I could have you up to speed in no time."

"Er..." says Potter. "No, thank you."

Draco can barely hold back his laughter, so he has to distract himself from it. "Shouldn't the press conference be starting soon?" he asks, loudly enough that the boys can hear.

"Blast it!" Scorpius says, then lets out a string of swears so creative, Draco's disappointed his mother isn't around to hear them. "Yes, all right, I'm going."

He throws down the remnants of the tent, and Teddy sighs in relief, raising his wand.

"Don't you even think about it," Scorpius warns before stalking off.

They follow him towards the edge of the river, where he arranged for the Wallygagglers to meet them. The Wallygagglers wanted to stay on their side, and the witches and wizards would do the same, but this would be the first real look the wizarding world got of the species, proof that they were real, and a chance for the Wallygagglers to speak their minds.