End | Chapter Thirty-Three

By their last night, Kreacher has finally forgiven Harry, so he serves up soup without complaint, and he brings out Regulus at their request.

"You helped us a lot," Harry tells the portrait. "I don't know how much of it you remember."

"The magic that controlled me wasn't like anything I've felt before. But I remember everything."

His eyes find Draco's unerringly. "I hear you're Narcissa's boy."

"You knew her well?"

Regulus shrugs. "Well enough."

"This is her grandson," Draco says, pulling Scorpius forward by the shoulder.

Scorpius stands in front of the portraits awkwardly.

"Hello," Regulus says.

"Hi."

"I suppose Kreacher's already told you all the stories of your dear old dad misbehaving? My mother had thousands, it seemed."

Scorpius's expression morphs into delight. "No."

"But I think we'd all like to hear," Blaise says.

"Couldn't agree more," Parvati tells him.

They spend the evening hearing horrible stories, ones that make Luna collapse in laughter and inspire Teddy to try giving him several high fives. Once Kreacher takes the portrait back to his cupboard, Granger, Weasley, and Lavender reveal that they've all been let go from their jobs. Lavender — at least — doesn't seem too broken up about it.

"What's next?" Draco asks them.

"New things," Granger says. "A career I can be proud of. I'm still looking."

"Early retirement," Weasley answers, and when Granger whacks him on the arm, "Bloody hell, 'Mione. I'm only joking. Dunno, do I? I've been an Auror since I graduated. I guess whatever job'll take me."

"There's still a lot of work that needs to be done with all this," Blaise reminds him.

"Yeah, but that's all brain stuff. Not for me."

Blaise scoffs. "You're underestimating yourself. We could use your help, mate. Just say the word."

Weasley doesn't respond, but he looks rather proud of himself for a while after.

"Werewolf outreach and rehabilitation," Lavender answers. "I'm going to do something that makes a difference in the world."

Scorpius grins at her, and she returns it with a small smile of her own. She peeks at Parvati.

"Oh," says Parvati. "And — er — we've been meaning to say this for a while now. We're together. Properly. So, we hope that you all can understand and—"

Blaise wolf-whistles, and Teddy whoops. Parvati rolls her eyes, " — and act like mature adults about it."

Granger positively squeals, wrapping Lavender up in a hug that seems to mostly go around her head. Lavender pats Granger's arm indulgently, a flush colouring her cheeks. "Yes, yes, it's all very exciting." But she sounds like she means it.

Draco looks at Harry out of the corner of his eye, and understanding passes between them.

Not yet. But not never, either.

Excited chatter breaks out among them. Draco's going to miss this.

Then again, maybe this doesn't have to be the last time they meet. Sure, they won't live at Grimmauld Place together any longer but ... things seem possible.