Chapter 26

Charles Wallace looked over his shoulder and saw Chad trying to get Meg to wake up.

"Meg!" Charles Wallace gasped.

He ran over to his sister and inspected her. 

"Chad, is she okay?" said Charles Wallace.

"I don't know, Charles, I don't know" Chad cried.

"Meg... Meg, wake up" said Charles Wallace near tears.

"Is she hurt?" said Sam. 

"She may very well be. We keep saying her name and shaking her, but she won't open her eyes" said Charles Wallace.

Batman turned Meg's body over and saw that her chest was burned and sliced.

"Oh dear me..." Chad gasped.

"Chad... we're afraid your wife was hit by a sonic beam from that whale" said Batman.

Chad's tears were really falling now. 

"No..." he whispered.

"But we can wake her up, right?" said Robin.

"Not without medical help, Robin. If Catwoman's plots involve sonic beams, they involve ones that can slice like a hot knife through bread" said Batman.

"Then we better get her back to Wiggletown and to the hospital" said Calvin.

"Indeed, Calvin. Sam" said Batman.

"I'm on it" said Sam.

She sprinkled pixie dust on Meg's body and it floated up.

"Now let's make sure she gets back safely" said Batman.

"Right, Batman!" said Charles Wallace.

Robin put his hand on Chad's shoulder and said "It's the least we can do."

Chad could only watch as the gang flew Meg's lifeless body back over the sea.

As soon as they were out of sight, he collapsed to his knees and held his chest as he cried.

"Oh... my heart. My poor heart. My poor, broken heart" Chad sobbed.

Pat, Tim and Digby noticed how distraught their friend was.

"I don't think we can rehearse like this. We're going to have to get Chad home. Or give him space here at the very least" said Digby. 

"What? And put him back to work during a struggle like this?" said Tim.

"Well, at least we didn't lose our best vulture" said Pat.

"Yeah, but poor Meg just got beamed. We haven't seen the end of this" said Tim.

Walt Disney saw how dreary and ragged his set and actors looked and decided to make an announcement.

"Attention all actors and animators. Due to all that commotion and the impact it has left, this rehearsal has been canceled. We are to depart back to Actorville at once" he announced. 

With that, the voyage home began earlier than anyone thought. But it was for a good cause.