𝟒. 𝐈𝐍𝐓. 𝐈𝐒𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐋'𝐒 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 - 𝐃𝐀𝐘

INT. ISABEL'S ROOM - DAY

Isabel is sitting on the bed of her room. Together with her, there are two noble girls, her friends: MURIEL RIVIERE (15) and MALIE DE VAUX (15).

Muriel is a chunky girl with dirty blond hair and a fake friendly look on her face. She's wearing a colorful dress featuring vivid colors.

Malie is skin and bone, has dark hair, and, that day, is fully dressed in light blue (she's wearing a light blue dress that perfectly matches the shoes, the earrings, the mother-of-pearl necklace, and the bracelets that she wore).

A cloying atmosphere hovers in this pastel-colored room. Red bedcover, pink curtains, with a few touches of light blue in the veil, antique rose walls...

Some portraits of the bachelors of Nevergolden are positioned on the bed. And Muriel is showing Isabel these, one by one. The first two represent LEO and HERVY. Leo (16) has long dark hair and dark eyes; he looks like a young rebel. Hervy (15) is a skinny guy with dark hair, brown eyes, and plump lips.

MURIEL (in a bit arrogant tone): Leo and Hervy de la Reue. Distinguished knights, both unmarried--

ISABEL: And waiting on a miracle.

Instead, Malie looks charmed by the two bachelors portrayed.

MALIE: Maybe I prefer Leo over Hervy, but I think that Hervy treats women better. So, Hervy may be better.

MURIEL: Malie, we don't care who you like more. I have to remind you that we are here for Lady Isabel. I do know well that any of them looks fine for you. Let's continue... (more)

Muriel shows Isabel another picture.

MURIEL (CONT'D): Julyan Baudry, emerging actor, unmarried and really, but really charming.

ISABEL: And really, really stupid.

Malie looks enchanted by the pretty actor.

MALIE: Oh, Julyan...

Muriel gives Malie a look and shows Lady Isabel another portrait.

MURIEL: Charles Bainard, promising knight, perfect gentleman, good with women- -

ISABEL (disgusted): And he wears more make-up than me.

Muriel shows the young lady another picture.

MURIEL: Then there is my cousin, Frank Rivière. Rich, funny—

ISABEL: And ugly. His face breaks out.

MALIE: He's not so bad.

MURIEL: Malie, we don't care about what you say. (more)

Muriel shows Isabel the portrait of Christian Ide.

MURIEL (CONT'D): Christian Ide. (more)

One second later, Muriel, jealously, takes the picture back in her hands.

MURIEL (CONT'D): He's mine! Don't you dare to look at him!

ISABEL: Who wants him?

Muriel gives her a threatening look.

MURIEL: You'd better do that. However, I'm lending you the pictures. If you're interested in any of them, send me an owl. I need to know who he is right away. Let's go, Malie.

Malie and Muriel go out of Isabel's room. Muriel is taking the portrait of Christian Ide away with her.

Now Isabel is all alone. She gives another unhappy look at the pictures. At that moment, her cousin, ALTHEA (15) enters the room. Althea is a teenager with chubby cheeks, red hair, and a resting smiling face. She's wearing a green and orange dress.

She sees the portraits of the bachelors and her expression changes.

ALTHEA (perplexed): Isabel... You're looking at pictures of men?

ISABEL: Yes... They are the bachelors of Nevergolden. I asked Muriel to bring me these. At least to see if there is someone better than Amaury.

ALTHEA: But... It's too soon to get married. You are still so young. You don't have to rush things. And you're not obliged to marry Amaury.

ISABEL: My mother told me so

ISABEL: My mother told me so. He could be such a catch for me. So I have to search for other catches.

ALTHEA (confused): Are you interested in any of them? Althea points out the pictures of the bachelors.

ISABEL: That's the point. No one. These boys are all rich, funny, foolish... However, Malie gave me a good idea before.

ALTHEA: Which one? Do you want to dress all in one color just like her?

ISABEL: Stop teasing her. However, she suggested me to plan a ball. I could meet someone new.

ALTHEA: Well... It doesn't seem a bad idea, but--

ISABEL (excited): We can plan it, then! Althea, you must convince your father, the royal advisor, who will convince my brother.

ALTHEA: ME? WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THAT? Can't you do it by yourself?

ISABEL: They would never listen to me. You know that. They would say that I am wasting their money.

ALTHEA: And so I have to ask myself? They'd never even say "yes" to me.

ISABEL: Just try.

Isabel runs out of the room.

ALTHEA (a bit angry, she raises her voice to be heard by Isabel, but in vain): THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!

Althea sees Leo's portrait lying on Isabel's bed and smiles at it.