𝟐𝟐. 𝐈𝐍𝐓. 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐘𝐀𝐋 𝐏𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐄 - 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

INT. BALLROOM OF THE ROYAL PALACE - NIGHT

Christian approaches Malie. The girl is standing alone in a corner of the room.

CHRISTIAN: Malie, we need to talk.

MALIE (bored): Lord Ide... Muriel is a friend of mine.

CHRISTIAN: I know that, but I'm no longer interested in her

CHRISTIAN: I know that, but I'm no longer interested in her. I want you.

MALIE: We've already talked about this. I don't want to hurt Muriel.

CHRISTIAN: You had to think about this before.

MALIE: Listen... What happened between us will not happen again. Just get over it!

CHRISTIAN: I don't want to let you go. I want to leave Muriel and commit to you.

MALIE: You will never leave her. It's convenient for your family that you marry Muriel. She's also the Stafford brothers' fourth cousin.

CHRISTIAN: I know that, but things will change if you give me a sign.

MALIE: I can't do that, lord Ide. It's wrong...

CHRISTIAN: Do you know what your problem is? You choose things that look convenient but not those you want. I gave you my word. I gave you my complete willingness. But, if you don't want me, I might as well stay with her.

MALIE (with a sad expression on her face): I don't know what to say.

Christian and Malie stay silent for some seconds. She looks pretty sad, and he coldly looks at her. 

At a certain point, Muriel approaches Christian and grabs him by the arm.

MURIEL: Christian, come dance with me.

MALIE (a little jealous, but she tries to hide it): Will you dance with Muriel?

CHRISTIAN: Of course I will.

Christian gives her a disdainful smile and goes dancing with Muriel. Malie continues staring at them. Then Christian sees the king at the back of the room.

CHRISTIAN: Sorry, beauty, I have to leave you alone again. I've got some royal duties.

Christian kisses Muriel. Then he looks at Malie, who is still looking at him with a sullen expression. Then, Christian approaches the king.

CHRISTIAN: Your majesty. (more)

Christian makes a little bow.

CHRISTIAN (CONT'D): Have you received the tickets for the games of polo?

TYBALT: Yes. I appreciated the gesture.

Christian nods his head.

CHRISTIAN: As I wrote you, you can also come when you want to our polo games. And you can play if you want to. We'll be happy to have you on the team. Obviously, we carefully select our invitees, excluding common people. Speaking of which, I fully agree with you about the edict.

TYBALT: Really? At least someone agrees with it. My uncle Fred, who is also my royal advisor... He and Althea literally insulted me.

CHRISTIAN: They don't understand. I thought it was an ingenious idea, instead. I think, in fact, that the nobles have to remain nobles and the poor have to remain poor. They're just parasites. They do not take the society forward. We do. We are the ones who deserve to go on and survive. You know, at times, me and my friends are friends (makes a gesture of quotation marks with his hands when he utters the word "friends") of Knut. But just because we can drink and we don't have to pay. It's a convenient friendship, but he's not one of us. However... I hope that, from now on, we'll be friends.

TYBALT: Of course. Friends.

At that moment, Rohesia approaches them.

ROHESIA (talking to Tybalt): Excuse me, Tybalt, did you happen to see your sister around?

TYBALT: No, I didn't.

ROHESIA (raising her tone of voice): Of course, she throws the ball first and then disappears. That's her way of showing gratitude for what we do for her.

CHRISTIAN: I'll go...

Christian leaves the scene.

TYBALT: Mother, I was talking to a noble. I was talking about the edict.

ROHESIA (keeps raising her voice): I don't care. The next time you and your sister want to throw other balls, don't count on me. And, bloody hell, find her.