Chapter 3: Prayers

Skylar's POV

I rub my head as I stare at the history paper sitting in front of me. Did I study for this? Absolutely not cause I was way to busy trying to clear my friends name. I was also in a terrible mood from what went down yesterday.

'Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?'
A voice takes me out of my thoughts and I look up to see a guy in a suit talking to Mr Sunn.
'We're in the middle of a test' he mutters
'I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation'
Oh shit. That was the scholarship school Pope applied for.
'Mr. Heyward, it's for you' Mr Sunn looks to Pope, he looks to my side and we share a look before he gets up and heads out the door. I turn around and look at JJ.
'What's going on?' He mouths and I shrug, 'I don't know' I mouth back.
'Mr Maybank, Miss Cameron eyes on your papers' Mr Sunn scolds and I quickly turn my attention back to my paper.
I only get through one question until Pope comes back in and takes his seat. I make sure Mr Sunn isn't looking before I lean sideways on my chair so I'm closer to Popes desk and Kie leans over his shoulder.
'Okay, what was that?' Kie whispers and instead of talking back Pope shows us the back off the envelope that he was holding in his hands.
'Is that the wheat symbol?' I whisper.
'Yeah' Pope whispers back before moving it past me to show JJ
'What the f--' JJ starts but Mr Sunn turns to his direction.

'Yeah' Pope whispers back before moving it past me to show JJ 'What the f--' JJ starts but Mr Sunn turns to his direction

'fu... fu... fudge?' He finishes turning his swear into appropriate school language.

Ring Ring

After our test was over we grab our stuff and head straight to the library. Pope won't tell us anything and it was starting to get on my nerves.
'Is this a game of tag?' I ask
'I don't know' Kie says as we run past the reception desk
'Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?' JJ asks annoyed.

'Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane'
'What's going on?' Kie and I say as Pope rounds the table.

'Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it' Pope says throwing a letter onto the table. JJ picks it up
'Out loud' I tell JJ
'I can't read cursive' I hear JJ whisper behind me and I hand the letter to Kie. I offer a smile to him and put his hand in mine. He smiles back in comfort as Kie starts to read.
"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge." She says and then hands it to me to read the rest.
"It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at King Street, Charleston at 8:p.m. sharp tonight."
"Please come alone."
"Regards, C. Limbrey." I finish, super confused.

'What the--Charleston?' JJ asks
'It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry' I recall from our families time in Charleston, when we were actually happy and I enjoyed their company.
'How will we get there tonight?' Pope asks
'We'd have to leave right now' JJ points out
'We have a free period' Kie says pointing to me
"Material evidence"? What does that even mean, "material evidence"?' JJ asks
'It means he can clear John B' I tell my boyfriend
'Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston'
Kie sighs
'I gotta tell my mom'
'Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe' I tell everybody
'Yeah. No duh' JJ says as Pope starts typing on the computer. He gets a look on his face and I raise an eyebrow.
'What?'
'I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant' Pope says turning around and we all look between each other as we stare at the photo on the screen.