Chapter 3 What did you just say?

Disclaimer: Detective Conan belongs to Gosho Aoyama and associated parties. I do not make money nor own anything with the exception of my own original characters.

Author's note: Happy New Year! Update chapters 2 and 3 as of 3/1/2023.

Visit me on Tumblr for artworks and interesting tidbits: wormwoodwine

Chapter 3 What did you just say?

Gin would never have thought that one day he would stand on a veterinarian's examination table and let a strange man put his hands all over him. The force from his clenched jaw alone could turn coals into diamonds.

The vet said, "He's a little underweight but overall healthy."

"Thank you." Vermouth let out a rare warm smile and stroked Gin's furry head. "You're doing great, sweetie."

"You. Owe. Me. Woman." Gin yowled.

While Gin was distracted, the vet quickly vaccinated him and cooed. "Good job, buddy."

Gin scoffed and shrugged the man's hands off. He had had bullets lodged in his person without so much as a grunt.

The vet asked Vermouth, "Why don't you name him?"

"I don't want to get attached. I'm asking around to find him a permanent home." Vermouth ran her hand along his back. "My schedule is too crazy for a pet."

Gin narrowed his eyes. He knew exactly what she was implying; it wasn't her celebrity lifestyle. But his gaze grew determined. You're not getting rid of me that easily.

"Shame. He seems to like you," the vet said. "If money is not a problem, may I suggest something?"

"Go on."

"Neuter. It's healthier and easier to find him a home."

Gin froze, completely caught off guard. "What did you just say?"

"A quick snip." With a sickeningly sweet smile, the vet innocently made a cutting gesture with his fingers, unknowingly digging his own grave.

"Neuter? NEUTER!?" Gin growled, baring his fangs. His fur puffed up and became spiky like an angry blowfish. His tail started thrashing the table. His claws unsheathed.

"What's wrong?" Vermouth asked, leaning in.

Through years of experience, the vet sensed bloodlust in the air and slowly backed away.

Gin perfectly aimed for his prey's carotid arteries, but with a lightning-fast reaction, Vermouth quickly held him down before he could pounce. "It's alright, sweetie."

Gin growled, thrashing in her arms. "Let go! I'll bite his head off!"

A thought occurred to Vermouth. She smiled into his furry head. "Don't worry. Your little package is safe."

Her words worked magic on Gin as he slowly calmed down and let her cradle him. He searched her twinkling eyes for any hints of deceit. Finally, his face twisted into a befuddling mess as he snarled his objection. "Little?"

An image of a certain grumpy man flashed in Vermouth's mind. She laughed heartily and peppered him with kisses. "You're too cute."

"Knock it off." Gin tried to push her away but only increased her intensity. Eventually, he rolled his eyes and surrendered to her affection.

***

Gentle sunlight poured through the windows of Vermouth's study as she relaxed on a chaise lounge, listening to Gin's purring on her stomach. Her fingers petted his head. His eyes were half closed, his paws blissfully kneading her bosom.